CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scootjockey_imp said:
Reading the picture challenge thread I realized I had taken a pic that would fit here
fc2ffb39a3e472973b50b05c00798e50.jpg

Near Convent Louisiana


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nice picture :beerchug:
 
Going up on an elevator in a tall building does not bother me.
But coming down sure does as it makes my stomach float.

They always seem to take longer going down as well.
Which gets you wondering if you are going to crash into the basement.
What makes it worse is all the people around you tensing up as well.

Never crashed into the basement, but did hit the roof once.
After that the ladies around me started pushing all the buttons hoping to get off.
It was a long and nervous ride down to the lobby.
Needless to say, I avoided that elevator for some time.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Excellent work, max. I seem to recall going to the top of that tower once. As I recall, the lift took 45 seconds go to whoa. I remember walking around the observation deck and having to face the awful reality of vertigo. I could look out the windows, but no way could I walk across the plate glass panels in the floor. Just to rub it in, my then wife jumped up and and down on them.
Show her this!
 
No too many tall buildings in my small MS town
We have strict zoning rules, this is actually a cell phone tower
On the way to the cell tower site I passed one of the Mississippi State University veterinary experimental farms.
They’ve developed a new breed of miniature horses about the size of a Jack Russell terrier, and also a rooster that can impregnate himself and lay eggs
 
I thought you were serious and I was thinking "what the heck are those mad scientists doing down in Mississippi??"

The I scrolled down and saw the picture - that was a good one.

Oh, and do all the cell towers down there look like that? I like it.
 
That’s the plain, ugly tower. When I first moved here I thought “why have thy built a replica of the Washington Monument.”
Tomorrow I’ll post a photo of a really nice one they just built a mile from this one.
 
Banned_imp said:
What is your 2-tone seat?
I traded a Corbin with another member for this K&H tall
Haven’t had time to see my upholstery guy to recover in all black,
It is so much better than stock:clap:
 
The tallest building in Lubbock is the 20 story (274 ft) Metro Tower office building, which was completed in 1955. Not much to look at, but it has an interesting history.

a857e694651da9522b43a2f8fd02426c.jpg
64b334cd3ce7c7994c644f5573823b54.jpg



On May 11, 1970, an F5 tornado touched down near the campus of Texas Tech University then began to track northeast, carving a path of destruction that at its peak reached almost two miles in width right through the heart of the city. The tornado tore through several densely populated residential areas before moving through downtown. The tornado killed 26 people and injured more than 1500 along its 8.5 mile track, while covering about 15 square miles of Lubbock.

The building was left with a visible twist in its superstructure, leaving many to fear it was in danger of collapse. A foot of permanent deformation damage occurred at the steel frame on the south side, and three of the building's four elevators were damaged, with the support rails bent. In spite of the severity of the damage and public pressure to tesr it down, the owners chose to repair it and it reopened in 1975.

This tornado was studied and mapped in detail by Professor Fujita, and was an important key in the development of his Fujita Scale. It was rated F5 on this scale. It was thought to be the second tallest building to survive an F5 tornado, but a damage survey indicated that the building experienced F3 winds, with the F5 damage contour further to the North.


4c8cc9c3a9c287495436ec801fcb02e8.jpg
 
Great pics and history. Thanks, RockHop.
 
Here's the tallest buildings in my town..these are almost ALL the buildings in my town, this is the main drag lol

446e18933f3169cc31963c32b46b777e.jpg


River is up pretty high, this is next to the wall lining the main road. normally the river is about 30 feet down from here. BTW during the '37 flood, the water was into the second story windows in these buildings.
During my son's senior year in HS it flooded so bad that they moved the Police, Fire, Post Office and Pharmacy into the High School gym. The High School is up on a hill about a mile from these pics.

61431ab16c4ca5b6b6cee31313ee7785.jpg


Both ends of the main road in town look like this

41c35cd11b3fb090e7f4a13920504f17.jpg


and Sea I rode down to the little park by Grant's house. St Rt 52 was closed right there due to flooding, but I got a pic of the spot where I took your group's picture first time y'all came through. They were standing by the fence in the background

630097ea30954fa91a3aa7baccd310e1.jpg
 
Nice photos ferret. Hope the high water is not causing problems for anyone.

Definitely a different climate than Lubbock. Last week we tied a record for 98 days without measurable precipitation. Ended with a mighty 1/8 inch downpour. :celebrate:
 
Mostly nuisance flood now, (garbage everywhere we must have seen a million plastic bottles and barrels floating by the road on today's ride) but we are supposed to get 4-5 more inches of rain in the next few days and that could cause some real issues.
 
Nice photos guys :thumbsup:
Interesting story about the Lubbock building. How they repaired a twisted building is way beyond my feeble mind :) :) :)

ferret, your town looks so much like many of the small main-street towns here that we visit and ride through every year :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It's been a crazy winter here with loads of rain and unusually mild temps. Winter sure isn't what it used to be, but I'm not really complaining. We don't miss the brutally cold temps that are more normal for this time of year - and spring is drawing ever closer so it's not all bad
 
Rocky_imp said:
Nice photos guys :thumbsup:
Interesting story about the Lubbock building. How they repaired a twisted building is way beyond my feeble mind :) :) :)

ferret, your town looks so much like many of the small main-street towns here that we visit and ride through every year :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It's been a crazy winter here with loads of rain and unusually mild temps. Winter sure isn't what it used to be, but I'm not really complaining. We don't miss the brutally cold temps that are more normal for this time of year - and spring is drawing ever closer so it's not all bad
Couldn't say for sure but I think the twist is still there. Twisted buildings are popular these days, maybe it was just ahead of its time ...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top