CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter
That is a less than attractive building. "Form follows function" means that the function is first priority, but does not mean that form should be disregarded entirely.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
That is a less than attractive building. "Form follows function" means that the function is first priority, but does not mean that form should be disregarded entirely.
Yeah. We aren't real proud of it.
 
It’s not a building that speaks of justice being fair, considered and even handed. Let’s hope appearances are deceptive.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
It’s not a building that speaks of justice being fair, considered and even handed. Let’s hope appearances are deceptive.
Just to the right of the shot is the county jail. The whole place is utilitarian and pretty bleak. I've had jury duty there a few times. My name seems to attract summonses.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It’s not a building that speaks of justice being fair, considered and even handed. Let’s hope appearances are deceptive.
Just to the right of the shot is the county jail. The whole place is utilitarian and pretty bleak. I've had jury duty there a few times. My name seems to attract summonses.
Just to the right of the shot is the county jail. The whole place is utilitarian and pretty bleak. I've had jury duty there a few times. My name seems to attract summonses.

Better summonses than subpoenas!
a5c8a8e1689c3652338fd561cc1a5464.png



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
mtneers_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It’s not a building that speaks of justice being fair, considered and even handed. Let’s hope appearances are deceptive.
Just to the right of the shot is the county jail. The whole place is utilitarian and pretty bleak. I've had jury duty there a few times. My name seems to attract summonses.
Just to the right of the shot is the county jail. The whole place is utilitarian and pretty bleak. I've had jury duty there a few times. My name seems to attract summonses.

Better summonses than subpoenas!
a5c8a8e1689c3652338fd561cc1a5464.png



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Isn't that the name of a rap song?
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It’s not a building that speaks of justice being fair, considered and even handed. Let’s hope appearances are deceptive.
Just to the right of the shot is the county jail. The whole place is utilitarian and pretty bleak. I've had jury duty there a few times. My name seems to attract summonses.
I suspect that in the design proposal, the overarching sentiment was, "Prisons don't have to be pretty. Let's not use any more taxpayer money than is absolutely necessary, when we could be using that money for X." That seems to be the case with just about every government building designed during the last 50 years. On the other hand, the military housing on F.E. Warren AFB in Wyoming includes beautiful red brick mansions with dormer windows and wrap around porches. They were built in the 1800s. Incredible for a military base. /derail
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It’s not a building that speaks of justice being fair, considered and even handed. Let’s hope appearances are deceptive.
Just to the right of the shot is the county jail. The whole place is utilitarian and pretty bleak. I've had jury duty there a few times. My name seems to attract summonses.
When I ponder your surname, I can see why. Must be a pest.
 
I've been on the road for the past three weeks for our company's two finals events, and am finally back and getting my wheels under me.

Since I've been riding a Ruckus pit scooter for the past three weeks, I figured I should go for a ride on the CB yesterday evening before hitting the freeway for my normal commute, to get used to going faster than a Ruckus.

I also wanted to break in the new lid that arrived while I was gone. Another Scorpion 420, the helmet I "hate to love". I never buy dark colored lids, but the deal on this one was pretty darn hard to beat, and it looks kinda cool.

Anyhoot, here is the Orange County Courthouse in Santa Ana. I got our marriage license here 12 years ago today!
 
Happy anniversary, Gone. Good deal or not, I’m never buying another black helmet. They get too hot in the sun of which there’s a lot here.
 
Thanks, Cormanus. Yeah, I was thinking about the heat absorption, but honestly, on a 20 minute commute, it won't be an issue. And, I'll just wear the white ones on a longer ride in summer.
 
It's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D
 
Thread starter
This is, or rather was, the 7th District Station of the Chicago Police Department also known as Maxwell Street Dostrict. It stands on the corner of Morgan and Maxwell Streets. It was built in 1880. From time it was built until World War II, the 7th District was considered one of the most dangerous in the city. In 1906, the Chicago Tribune called the district “Bloody Maxwell”, and “the Wickedest Police District in the World”.

From the 1880 until 1920, the corner of
14th place and Sangamon was known as Dead Man’s Corner because of the numbers of shootings that happened there, many involving police from the nearby 7th District.

During the 1920s, it was widely rumored that the majority of police officers from the 7th were receiving a payoffs from local mobsters involved in bootleg liquor.

It’s proximity to Chicago’s Little Italy neighborhood, the 7th hosted several infamous and mob-tied criminals including Al Capone and Sam Giancana.

The CPD vacated the station in 1998. The University of Illinois Chicago Police Department uses the restored building now.

The building was featured prominently in the TV series “Hill Street Blues” and “Chicago PD”.

70aa201e5f143498b31fbb4db878e57d.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Cool stuff Sea! Chicago does have some history
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top