Cb1100 market

misterprofessionality_imp said:
Sparky80_imp said:
I'm guessing more '14's for sale as they aren't that pretty or appealing. The standard bike is a boring black color and not as pretty as the '13 red, and neither on terms with the '14 Deluxe.
Hey now. I resemble that remark.

I found my black 14 to be the prettiest of the options we got in the US, And that includes the '17 EX. Call me a typical american? But i think the bike was well served by being blacked out.
I had/have both, the '14 standard and the '17ex...I love the looks of both. For me, once a bike is beautiful...it just is and I find it difficult to say this or that one is more beautiful. The main thing for me is if they are are mine...then they are extremely beautiful.

:)
 
Very sorry to hear about your crash, Tom! It sucks. What a way to have spent the 4th. Cheers to a sound recovery!

If you're reading all of this noise, I like the 6-spd on my '14. (And that the side covers match the tank.)
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
There is no good reason for 5 gears, if you wanna lower first through fifth just change final gearing.

Six gears will always be better than five, and there are other obvious improvements in later models – the changes in axle size were not by accident, the changing in FSD front forks were not a mistake, etc. not to mention the improved gauge cluster, and probably some other stuff that I can’t think of off the top my head.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To say the 2013 is the original is disingenuous, because it existed for numerous years in other markets before it ever arrived here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Were the clocks green?
 
I have a '13 and '14. The '14 is currently set up for touring with a larger windscreen, top box and saddlebags. I do like the 6th gear and the gear indicator (so I don't have to switch hands to count.......).

But, I'll sell the '14 before I sell the '13. Seems a bit sportier by a small margin. It's red - which is always better in my book. Kinda nice to have one for longer rides (which I really don't entertain anymore now that I can a car...... :D ) and keeping the '13 as a two wheeled entertainment and scratch the itch for riding bike - just a better fit for what my riding has evolved into. I.e. I'm spoiled.

I do entertain the idea of having one CB, then having an Africa Twin or Goldwing. But I'm cheap, so paying the prices dealers want is a non-starter; and my bikes are paid for. Limited budget means there are things to waste my money on first.

Good luck with the healing. Do the PT, eat well etc. :)
 
Rboe_imp said:
I have a '13 and '14. The '14 is currently set up for touring with a larger windscreen, top box and saddlebags. I do like the 6th gear and the gear indicator (so I don't have to switch hands to count.......).

But, I'll sell the '14 before I sell the '13. Seems a bit sportier by a small margin. It's red - which is always better in my book. Kinda nice to have one for longer rides (which I really don't entertain anymore now that I can a car...... :D ) and keeping the '13 as a two wheeled entertainment and scratch the itch for riding bike - just a better fit for what my riding has evolved into. I.e. I'm spoiled.

I do entertain the idea of having one CB, then having an Africa Twin or Goldwing. But I'm cheap, so paying the prices dealers want is a non-starter; and my bikes are paid for. Limited budget means there are things to waste my money on first.

Good luck with the healing. Do the PT, eat well etc. :)
A Honda CB1100 and a 2018+ Africa Twin would be a strong riding duo.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
I have a '13 and '14. The '14 is currently set up for touring with a larger windscreen, top box and saddlebags. I do like the 6th gear and the gear indicator (so I don't have to switch hands to count.......).

But, I'll sell the '14 before I sell the '13. Seems a bit sportier by a small margin. It's red - which is always better in my book. Kinda nice to have one for longer rides (which I really don't entertain anymore now that I can a car...... :D ) and keeping the '13 as a two wheeled entertainment and scratch the itch for riding bike - just a better fit for what my riding has evolved into. I.e. I'm spoiled.

I do entertain the idea of having one CB, then having an Africa Twin or Goldwing. But I'm cheap, so paying the prices dealers want is a non-starter; and my bikes are paid for. Limited budget means there are things to waste my money on first.

Good luck with the healing. Do the PT, eat well etc. :)
A Honda CB1100 and a 2018+ Africa Twin would be a strong riding duo.
I have the poor man's version of that...with an aging (2007) KLR650, which has 51k miles and has been 99.9% reliable and fun. But I'm beginning to look for a replacement dual purpose bike and the DR650 is at the top of the list right now.
 
Affordable and Africa Twin - the unicorn bike. LOL

A buddy has had several DR650's (I currently have a XR650L) and it is my ever so humble opinion the DR650 would be an excellent choice. Lower (for our aging backs), Lighter than your KLR (for our aging backs) and some upgrade power options (for our younger hearts) if that is something that floats your boat. The CRF300L is also recommended, although suspension upgrades may be called for. In which case it starts to get a wee bit pricey (assuming you can even find one in stock!).

My main concern (after price) is the higher center of gravity of the AT. Many folks have a difficult time picking her up if she takes a nap. I have yet to try it - and I should before I buy. To make sure it won't kill me. But oh man, the leg room!
 
Rboe_imp said:
Affordable and Africa Twin - the unicorn bike. LOL

A buddy has had several DR650's (I currently have a XR650L) and it is my ever so humble opinion the DR650 would be an excellent choice. Lower (for our aging backs), Lighter than your KLR (for our aging backs) and some upgrade power options (for our younger hearts) if that is something that floats your boat. The CRF300L is also recommended, although suspension upgrades may be called for. In which case it starts to get a wee bit pricey (assuming you can even find one in stock!).

My main concern (after price) is the higher center of gravity of the AT. Many folks have a difficult time picking her up if she takes a nap. I have yet to try it - and I should before I buy. To make sure it won't kill me. But oh man, the leg room!
I rode a friend's XR650 for a stretch...a bit more beasty than the KLR. Both the DR and KLR have caught up to the Honda XR price.

I think I'd like to try the DR650 in part because I've never owned a Suzuki bike, but more so for reasons you mentioned. Plus it's similar to the KLR650 in several ways that bring about some familiarity. But I like the no radiator of the DR.

Rboe_imp said:
Affordable and Africa Twin - the unicorn bike. LOL

A buddy has had several DR650's (I currently have a XR650L) and it is my ever so humble opinion the DR650 would be an excellent choice. Lower (for our aging backs), Lighter than your KLR (for our aging backs) and some upgrade power options (for our younger hearts) if that is something that floats your boat. The CRF300L is also recommended, although suspension upgrades may be called for. In which case it starts to get a wee bit pricey (assuming you can even find one in stock!).

My main concern (after price) is the higher center of gravity of the AT. Many folks have a difficult time picking her up if she takes a nap. I have yet to try it - and I should before I buy. To make sure it won't kill me. But oh man, the leg room!
I also like the CRF300L and it's up there for consideration as well. But the thing I like about my KLR is the larger displacement for hiway travel, which I do quite a bit of to get to areas I like (eastern OR)...do-able on the 300...but different. I like the KLX300 as well.

The AT is attractive, but the price isn't. KLR / DR / XR / CRF / KLX...all of them say to me: "go ahead, drop me, I don't care and you won't either". An AT...likely I'd contanstly be concerned.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Affordable and Africa Twin - the unicorn bike. LOL

A buddy has had several DR650's (I currently have a XR650L) and it is my ever so humble opinion the DR650 would be an excellent choice. Lower (for our aging backs), Lighter than your KLR (for our aging backs) and some upgrade power options (for our younger hearts) if that is something that floats your boat. The CRF300L is also recommended, although suspension upgrades may be called for. In which case it starts to get a wee bit pricey (assuming you can even find one in stock!).

My main concern (after price) is the higher center of gravity of the AT. Many folks have a difficult time picking her up if she takes a nap. I have yet to try it - and I should before I buy. To make sure it won't kill me. But oh man, the leg room!
Aye, yeah, ... the leg room was a major acceptance criteria for me. The view from high up is welcoming too.

Picking up from a nap is indeed problematic for most folks.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
Hope you heal fast, thats a bummer for sure.

I cant understand how anyone would want a 5 speed over a 6 though, that makes zero sense to me. I love my 14 and the fact it has a 6 speed.

Good luck w the search.
Aren't the final ratios unperceptively similar?

Nevertheless, riding mostly in 5th on the 2014+ model allows the beast a better chance to squirt out of freeway rate situations without much rider effort.
Aren't the final ratios unperceptively similar?

Nevertheless, riding mostly in 5th on the 2014+ model allows the beast a better chance to squirt out of freeway rate situations without much rider effort.
True, but you can always just downshift...right?
 
Thread starter
I did check out a Halfrican Twin. AKA CB500x. I really liked it but bought another CB1100 instead. 500x would make a fine second bike.
 
Back
Top