CB1100 is Museum Worthy

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
I finished a company event in Martin, Michigan at the end of last week, and Mrs. G flew out to meet me, so we could spend all of this past week touring the Michigan Upper Peninsula.

Our first stop was the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners. It’s a huge and magnificent car museum that dwarfs most collections.

One small building houses their motorcycle collection. Among several historically significant bikes, look what we discovered. Here’s Mrs. G telling me that now I can’t sell mine…





Their bike is in good company, next to a CBX.

You can see the famous “Meet the Nicest People” ad above the CB1100, and they had some neat ads representing other brands.




This might help me convince my boss at my museum that my CB is worthy of indoor parking when I ride it to work!
 
On the BMW brochure, someone recently posted this on an ADV forum on the topic of BMW "brick" motors, but I don't think it's real. :D

 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I finished a company event in Martin, Michigan at the end of last week, and Mrs. G flew out to meet me, so we could spend all of this past week touring the Michigan Upper Peninsula.

Our first stop was the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners. It’s a huge and magnificent car museum that dwarfs most collections.

One small building houses their motorcycle collection. Among several historically significant bikes, look what we discovered. Here’s Mrs. G telling me that now I can’t sell mine…





Their bike is in good company, next to a CBX.

You can see the famous “Meet the Nicest People” ad above the CB1100, and they had some neat ads representing other brands.




This might help me convince my boss at my museum that my CB is worthy of indoor parking when I ride it to work!
Looks like Mrs. Gone ought to be a rider. :)
 
Thread starter
Yeah... she's been bike-curious for quite a while, and my standing gift to her for last anniversary is a basic rider's course. She's starting with a new job near the beach that will put her mostly on my commute route, but with staggered hours that will put her headlong into beach traffic.
Once she starts banging her head on her steering wheel in traffic, we'll talk about it some more.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Yeah... she's been bike-curious for quite a while, and my standing gift to her for last anniversary is a basic rider's course. She's starting with a new job near the beach that will put her mostly on my commute route, but with staggered hours that will put her headlong into beach traffic.
Once she starts banging her head on her steering wheel in traffic, we'll talk about it some more.
It is this time of the year when lane filtering/splitting becomes extra practical as the weather is usually very hot in North America. I can't imagine being parked in L.A. freeway traffic during the midday sun on an air-cooled motorcycle.
 
Thread starter
Yessir. Came home from our trip to a heat wave. My morning commute is early enough that it's cool, but it's darn hot for the ride home, and no, I would not want to sit in traffic. It's significantly cooler near the coast where my office is located, and I can feel the heat rising as I head inland to home. At least it's a fairly short ride. While I can split lanes, this is the time of year where freeway detritus includes surf boards, barbecues and folding chairs being blown out of the backs of pickup trucks on the way to or from the beach.

We saw plenty of riding on our trip through Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois in the hot and humid. Lots of shorts, tank tops and no helmets.
 
Thread starter
So... in regards to my assertion to my boss that I should be given indoor parking in our motorcycle display, I got a "Thanks for sharing" response.

I'll take that as a no.
 
this is the time of year where freeway detritus includes surf boards, barbecues and folding chairs being blown out of the backs of pickup trucks on the way to or from the beach.

You forgot to include ladders, or was that because you find ladders in the road all year long?
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
So... in regards to my assertion to my boss that I should be given indoor parking in our motorcycle display, I got a "Thanks for sharing" response.

I'll take that as a no.
How, ... genuine of them. :dodgy:
 
Thread starter
You never know who you’re going to meet.

I went to Donut Derelicts this morning to check out the scene and to get my promised donut photo. Very crowded turnout this morning and the motorcycle area around the donut shop was filled.

I grabbed some curb space next to a very well preserved’66 Honda Super 90 and a CRF 450. Walking back with my donut and coffee, the guys who owned the other two bikes were admiring my CB. Turned out that the guy with the ‘66 works for Honda.

We talked about our bikes for a while, and he said that we’re lucky that the CB1100 went to production at all. Apparently it almost didn’t. It was a passion project that Honda knew wouldn’t appeal to the masses, and was destined to be a low-production machine.

He went on to say that they accepted that U.S. sales would probably be fairly low but expected European sales to be stronger. But they knew that its lifespan would be limited, as Euro emissions would be tightening and an air-cooled inline four would not be able to meet future standards.

He added that he won’t be surprised when they start bringing decent money at auction in the future.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
So... in regards to my assertion to my boss that I should be given indoor parking in our motorcycle display, I got a "Thanks for sharing" response.

I'll take that as a no.
How, ... genuine of them. :dodgy:
How, ... genuine of them. :dodgy:
I would have been shocked if they had said “Why sure, go right ahead.”
 
I like what you did with the photo, Gone.
 
From Gon in 6's post..

He went on to say that they accepted that U.S. sales would probably be fairly low but expected European sales to be stronger. But they knew that its lifespan would be limited, as Euro emissions would be tightening and an air-cooled inline four would not be able to meet future standards.

I wonder is that a statement is with the benefit of hindsight? I can't see that as being a great strategy from a highly succesful company like Honda. If the shareholders got wind of that at the time the board could be opened up to all sorts of scrutiny.
 
I’d have thought the bulk of the CB1100’s sales have been in Japan, Taiwan and South Korea. Maybe China too. Sales elsewhere would be a bonus.

In any event, it seems unlikely that the Euro5 standard would have been top of mind when the CB1100 was being designed ahead of a 2010 release.
 
Back
Top