"CB1100 is a dinosaur"? / XSR900 road test

nhawk7504_imp

Been there
Thread starter

It's a little tough to say where he ends up here. Seems like he does not like many bikes which he mentions in the end. There is someone for every seat.
 
A very odd review indeed. I couldn't quite get a handle on what he was looking for. In the beginning, he makes several comparisons to the old UJM cafe racers, but ultimately decides the XSR900 is too modern and powerful to fit into that narrow spec. Seems to me, only a 70s UJM would fit the bill. Go figure!

As for the CB1100 being a dinosaur, it sort of is a dinosaur. It's performance, weight and ergos (and air cooled inline 4) are quite comparable to the UJM liter bikes of the late 70s - early 80s. Granted, it is a much refined version of those bikes. But compared to the vast majority of the bikes on the market today, I think an air cooled, inline 4, standard liter bike qualifies as a dinosaur of sorts.

BTW, by profession I tend to large, powerful mainframe computers whose architecture can be directly traced back to 1964. The vast majority of my colleagues are in their late 50s and 60s. We proudly refer to ourselves as the dinosaurs of the IT world as there are very few people under 50 that know how to keep such a machine running. Being a dinosaur isn't necessarily a bad thing. :D
 
He came to the same conclusion that I did the day I rode an FZ-09.
The 3-cylinder Yamaha motor has lots of power.
But unless you are on a deserted runway, you can't use it to it's full potential.

To call that transformer styled motorcycle "retro" is a joke.
 
it's a hooligan bike plain and simple. a wheelie monster. i've only seen one outside a dealership and it was a twisted heap of scrap. sad.
 
The only thing retro about my 60th Anniversary XSR is the ability to warp time with it's raucous power delivery.

I accidentally entered a time portal on my last run, and I got sent back 300 years to colonial America where frightened and suspicious villagers chased me away with torches and pitchforks.
 
I've always suspected you of being a time traveler.

b6cc5e0614c87872dd2607c08ddef588.jpg
 
One of my favorite movies of all time!

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this period in history."
 
I see you're in Phoenix, Flynnrider.... A city among many others that I am browsing on the Weather Channel application for places that don't suck right now.

Portland Oregon is a dreary, gray, cold and rainy abyss with no relief in sight, and my lovelies are tucked away in the garage where they will sit unridden until late Spring.
 
I'm sorry, but I had to stop watching. Great production quality and I don't even disagree with the guy on most things, but what a freakin D-bag.

As Flynrider said, the CB1100 IS a dinosaur in it's way, but only because it is so very similar to the UJMs of the day. Didn't the reviewer comment early on that the problem with modern retro bikes is that they're basically too modern? So, the CB1100's dinosaurness should be something he likes, but he clearly does not...please now refer to my first paragraph. :)
 
Roger the shrubber_imp said:
I see you're in Phoenix, Flynnrider.... A city among many others that I am browsing on the Weather Channel application for places that don't suck right now.

Portland Oregon is a dreary, gray, cold and rainy abyss with no relief in sight, and my lovelies are tucked away in the garage where they will sit unridden until late Spring.
As a recent new resident of Florida from NW Montana, I can relate. I've ridden every week since I've been here. Doesn't suck at all!
 
As I'm nearing retirement age, I think I'll sell off most of my automotive service equipment and tool boxes so I'll have less crap to haul around when I make such a move. More time to do the the things I enjoy in better weather. Bonus.
 
It's all a matter of personal preference. Dreary, gray, and rainy I can deal with okay (the weather here in Portland does not really qualify as cold very often in my book). I've learned from experience that any place that primarily involves a lot of hot weather (especially hot 'n humid weather) is just not a good place for me for a variety of reasons. I had plenty of friends who were okay with the heat, but I probably spend more time outside in the winter time here in Oregon than I did in the summer time the last few years I lived in Austin. (Where I tended to hibernate in the air-conditioned comfort of home.)

So the dinosaur still gets ridden in the wet stuff around here from time to time and it's all good, lol.
 
Roger the shrubber_imp said:
I see you're in Phoenix, Flynnrider.... A city among many others that I am browsing on the Weather Channel application for places that don't suck right now.

Portland Oregon is a dreary, gray, cold and rainy abyss with no relief in sight, and my lovelies are tucked away in the garage where they will sit unridden until late Spring.
It's temporary. In a few months it'll be pushing 110F.

I used to visit my sister in Portland and reveled in the ability to walk more than a few blocks in the summer without risk of heat stroke.

I ride year-round, but May through October is not particularly fun.
 
I test rode the xsr 900 and some other newer Yamaha triple models .. fantastic power and responsive but very uncomfortable ergonomics and definitely not as cool looking as the CB .. I'm only 5'7" and the legs were cramped on all the newer triples except I didn't get to sample the FJ09 which was what I went to check out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
There's the what and then there's the how. There are many more powerful bikes, but how is the power delivered? How is the ride? I had an opportunity to buy a very good low mileage FZ-09 that had a corbin seat, upgraded suspension and bars, etc etc... The story went an older gentleman tried to turn it into a sport tourer to no avail. This bike was much cheaper than my CB cost me and they offered me very good money for my trade in. However 20 mins on the bike I was exhausted and couldn't picture myself ever being relaxed while riding that bike. My first ride on the CB everything felt right, smooth power that didn't frighten me, great riding position, easy handling and braking. It's also a beautiful thing to have good torque nearly everywhere, who wants to ride a bike where you have to scream the rev's to get anywhere?

I bumped into a 25 year old kid I did the MSF course with and because of insurance costs he's on a 300 Ninja. We went for a spirited ride in the country and found a few nice twisties and he said that he had to wind the bike out to keep up with me, I was just taking it easy because it was getting dark. He had to work his gearbox like mad, and I could just leave it in third or second and let the engine do the work. When we stopped for a chat and coffee he complained that his power band was too high in the rev's and he's looking to get either a CB or a Bonneville when he his 2 years and Full M licence. With less than 2 years of riding and an M2 licence his insurance on an 1100 is just too much. So here's a kid who's only been in the sport a year who's already seeing the value of a bike like ours vs an FZ-09 or something the like.
 
That kid would be better off getting a CB500 next. Too many folks go from nothing to 1100/1200cc+ without learning the ropes. This will kill off newbies and won't grow the hobby (and today it's a hobby more than transportation).

I do say that at the risk of sounding like an old fart "back in my day we started small and worked up!". Well we did. the reasons for doing so are still valid.
 
perhaps, and no doubt there is validity to that, but I'm on the 1100 after the same amount of time because we did the MSF course together so I can't really tell another rider not to when I'm doing exactly that. Mind you I did 6x's the riding he did between the MSF course and when I got the CB and I've done 100x abs much riding as him this season! As a beginner if you can afford the insurance I think you could make far worse choices than the CB anyhow.
 
Back
Top