CB1100 Idle speed instability problem

Max - thank you so much!!!:) Your pictures are fantastic, and exactly what I needed! I really appreciate your help so much. All of you guys on this forum are fantastic! I incorrectly routed my breather tube the last 6 or 8 inches before it attaches to the bottom of the fuel tank. I should be able to fix it without too much difficulty. This bike fits together like a Swiss watch! It's been over 300 miles since the IACV replacement now and the bike is still running perfectly! I think that after I reach 1,000 miles, and if the idle problem has not returned, then it will safe to say that the IACV was the root cause. Thanks again Max.
 
Excellent on the photos for Dave, Max.

I was going to forward Dave's photos to you, but now no need.

More kudos, reputation points, "likes" to you, Max!

...and the same to Dave for his tenacity!

Was at ranch (truck to haul water, propane, bring back firewood for son) in AZ Mon-Wed, but still getting in lots of rides:

Fri 18 May 2018: CB1100 to Pahrump, Shoshone, Badwater Basin, Furnance Creek, Stovepipe Wells, Panamint Springs, Beatty, Indian Springs with friend on Sportster 883. 422.7 miles, 54 MPG, 7.8 gallons

Tomorrow - Fri 25 May 2018: CB1100 to Mesquite, St., George, Cedar City, Duck Creek, Mt. Carmel Junction, Zion National Park with friend on Sportster 883. Need to do third oil change when I get back (8100 - 8200 miles on the clock by then)

Thu 31 May - 2 June 2018: CB1100 to Kingman, Seligman, Ash Fork, Chino Valley, Prescott Valley, Jerome, Clarkdale, Cottonwood, Sedona, Flagstaff, Williams and return with friend on Vrod.

Friend with Road King Classic bailed in favor of Golden Knights
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Excellent on the photos for Dave, Max.

I was going to forward Dave's photos to you, but now no need.

More kudos, reputation points, "likes" to you, Max!

...and the same to Dave for his tenacity!

Was at ranch (truck to haul water, propane, bring back firewood for son) in AZ Mon-Wed, but still getting in lots of rides:

Fri 18 May 2018: CB1100 to Pahrump, Shoshone, Badwater Basin, Furnance Creek, Stovepipe Wells, Panamint Springs, Beatty, Indian Springs with friend on Sportster 883. 422.7 miles, 54 MPG, 7.8 gallons

Tomorrow - Fri 25 May 2018: CB1100 to Mesquite, St., George, Cedar City, Duck Creek, Mt. Carmel Junction, Zion National Park with friend on Sportster 883. Need to do third oil change when I get back (8100 - 8200 miles on the clock by then)

Thu 31 May - 2 June 2018: CB1100 to Kingman, Seligman, Ash Fork, Chino Valley, Prescott Valley, Jerome, Clarkdale, Cottonwood, Sedona, Flagstaff, Williams and return with friend on Vrod.

Friend with Road King Classic bailed in favor of Golden Knights

Tim Allen the dentist from Wild Hogs?
 
Breather tube is correctly reattached now, thanks to Max. I just read on page 5-55 of the FSM: "NOTE: After installing the fuel tank, make sure the fuel tank breather hose is not kinked or bound." I knew it wasn't correct when I first put it together, but I just didn't spend enough time trying to figure it out at the time. Doc, I am jealous of you - all the great rides ahead of you! :thumbsup: BE SAFE!
 
Dave_imp said:
Breather tube is correctly reattached now, thanks to Max. I just read on page 5-55 of the FSM: "NOTE: After installing the fuel tank, make sure the fuel tank breather hose is not kinked or bound." I knew it wasn't correct when I first put it together, but I just didn't spend enough time trying to figure it out at the time. Doc, I am jealous of you - all the great rides ahead of you! :thumbsup: BE SAFE!
Its is wonderful to be retired, Dave!

My ride to Mesquite, St., George, Cedar City, Cedar Breaks (10,200 feet elevation) Duck Creek, Mt. Carmel Junction, Zion National Park got expanded a bit: 492 miles on 9.4 gallons = 52.3 MPG.

However from Cedar City to Cedar Breaks, Duck Creek and then Zion to Hurricane, I did 118 miles on 1.88 gallons = 62.76 MPG. Friend on 883 Sportster took the exact same amount of fuel. Our 1140 cc 4 cylinder is a very fuel efficient machine.

Great ride, other than strong headwinds on the return. Left Interstate 15 and went through Logandale and Overton then along Lake Mead home.

I miss-stated my odometer read before the trip. Now have 8,667 miles on the clock. Doing oil change tonight or tomorrow morning.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Dave_imp said:
Breather tube is correctly reattached now, thanks to Max. I just read on page 5-55 of the FSM: "NOTE: After installing the fuel tank, make sure the fuel tank breather hose is not kinked or bound." I knew it wasn't correct when I first put it together, but I just didn't spend enough time trying to figure it out at the time. Doc, I am jealous of you - all the great rides ahead of you! :thumbsup: BE SAFE!
Its is wonderful to be retired, Dave!

My ride to Mesquite, St., George, Cedar City, Cedar Breaks (10,200 feet elevation) Duck Creek, Mt. Carmel Junction, Zion National Park got expanded a bit: 492 miles on 9.4 gallons = 52.3 MPG.

However from Cedar City to Cedar Breaks, Duck Creek and then Zion to Hurricane, I did 118 miles on 1.88 gallons = 62.76 MPG. Friend on 883 Sportster took the exact same amount of fuel. Our 1140 cc 4 cylinder is a very fuel efficient machine.

Great ride, other than strong headwinds on the return. Left Interstate 15 and went through Logandale and Overton then along Lake Mead home.

I miss-stated my odometer read before the trip. Now have 8,667 miles on the clock. Doing oil change tonight or tomorrow morning.
Its is wonderful to be retired, Dave!
+ 1 = you won't be alone = mine is just months away and counting down =:banana:+:clap:+:celebrate:+:excited:=:biker:

pb
 
peterbaron_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Dave_imp said:
Breather tube is correctly reattached now, thanks to Max. I just read on page 5-55 of the FSM: "NOTE: After installing the fuel tank, make sure the fuel tank breather hose is not kinked or bound." I knew it wasn't correct when I first put it together, but I just didn't spend enough time trying to figure it out at the time. Doc, I am jealous of you - all the great rides ahead of you! :thumbsup: BE SAFE!
Its is wonderful to be retired, Dave!

My ride to Mesquite, St., George, Cedar City, Cedar Breaks (10,200 feet elevation) Duck Creek, Mt. Carmel Junction, Zion National Park got expanded a bit: 492 miles on 9.4 gallons = 52.3 MPG.

However from Cedar City to Cedar Breaks, Duck Creek and then Zion to Hurricane, I did 118 miles on 1.88 gallons = 62.76 MPG. Friend on 883 Sportster took the exact same amount of fuel. Our 1140 cc 4 cylinder is a very fuel efficient machine.

Great ride, other than strong headwinds on the return. Left Interstate 15 and went through Logandale and Overton then along Lake Mead home.

I miss-stated my odometer read before the trip. Now have 8,667 miles on the clock. Doing oil change tonight or tomorrow morning.
Its is wonderful to be retired, Dave!
+ 1 = you won't be alone = mine is just months away and counting down =:banana:+:clap:+:celebrate:+:excited:=:biker:

pb
Good for you, Peter!
I've been so busy, I don't how I found time for everything before I retired!

This is a good way to hopefully close this thread.
 
Dave requested these pictures to be posted on this thread, this is why he had a vacuum buildup in the fueltank, i think the pictures are self-explanatory;

fc9d90babc0e690947acca10b1ef1f6b.png


c078f8d53276862f978ba2a83c3f2659.png


0a3a40cbd9275d15fb13bfb6763c23d5.png


ae98b6a8b5fd2e1ebfc7bffd4bbb4982.png


I was unable to post the original document in the format that was supplied ( pptx ) so i had to extract the pictures and post them like this, Dave inserted the text and i just post them as i got them.

tnx popgun and Dave; max
 
That is top notch Dave, i only hope to produce photo's like that, now i have to practice some more.
Probably a premature question but did you happen to have a shot of the bore that houses the iacv?

Thank you again; max
.
 
Nice work, Dave. Thanks again to you and your team—max, SportsterDoc, peterbaron, pdedse, and the indefatigable popgun—for the patient hard work and reports. They’re appreciated.
 
I think, we should give Dave a new title for his dedication and willingness to dig in this difficult problem, for providing excellent feedback and pics.
I spent almost 4 decades in automotive field, and I know how difficult some issues are....especially for someone who has skills in different field.
Dave, with full respect to you and all others who provided you with their support and technical advice, I think you should accept CB1100 Master title

:worship:

pb
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Nice work, Dave. Thanks again to you and your team—max, SportsterDoc, peterbaron, pdedse, and the indefatigable popgun—for the patient hard work and reports. They’re appreciated.
Thank you to all the great guys who assisted along the way. So far (over 400 miles) my bike has been running perfect. I hope that this leads the way to more people getting their idle issues corrected, either by repairing yourself or taking it to the shop.

I could not have posted the pictures without the great instructions provided by Max, so a big "thank you" to Max.

I did not get a close-up photo of the inside bore where the IACV mounts, but I inspected it and it appeared to be in perfect condition.

This forum is incredible, and it's the great people who post here who make it that way.
 
Dave, did you send the original IACV to peterbaron?

If so, and nothing found out of spec, I would suspect that it got out of position and was unable to recover home position. That is a problem with a stepper motor, unless it has a home position sensor.

Max, you offered some suggestions to get it to home. Any further thoughts?

In other words, if the IACV is not defective, and if re-position instructions could be offered, it may save others going through a replacement.

Due to family arriving this week and a vacation to the Pacific Northwest and British Canada the next two weeks after, I may not reach 10,000 miles on the odometer (9,360 now) until the end of the month/early July. Very much enjoyed the 712 mile trip to Arizona last Thu-Sat on the CB, averaging 53.18 MPG.
 
SportsterDoc' pid='207548' dateline='1528130358 said:
Dave, did you send the original IACV to peterbaron?

No, I did not. If Peter believes he can gain anything from it I will though. That would be great if we could figure out a way to fix this problem without having to disassemble everything like I did. I think the motor is defective because sometimes my bike ran well, and other times it did not.
 
Dave_imp said:
SportsterDoc' pid='207548' dateline='1528130358 said:
Dave, did you send the original IACV to peterbaron?

No, I did not. If Peter believes he can gain anything from it I will though. That would be great if we could figure out a way to fix this problem without having to disassemble everything like I did. I think the motor is defective because sometimes my bike ran well, and other times it did not.
Can you access and replace the IACV without having to disassemble everything?
 
pdedse_imp said:
Dave_imp said:
SportsterDoc' pid='207548' dateline='1528130358 said:
Dave, did you send the original IACV to peterbaron?

No, I did not. If Peter believes he can gain anything from it I will though. That would be great if we could figure out a way to fix this problem without having to disassemble everything like I did. I think the motor is defective because sometimes my bike ran well, and other times it did not.
Can you access and replace the IACV without having to disassemble everything?
Can you access and replace the IACV without having to disassemble everything? No.
 
Back
Top