CB1100 Idle speed instability problem

pdedse_imp said:
Little by little...one moves forward with difficult tasks...with lots of patience...
Didn't have time to work on the bike as planned - worked a 13 hour day instead. I hate how working gets in the way of the really important things in life :D
 
Job is nearly complete. All valve clearances are within spec and have been recorded on the valve clearance thread. All that is left now is to install the gas tank, seat, and side covers - will do that Monday or Tuesday.
 
Hope the fuel connection goes easily.
Does FSM advise any lubricant on o-ring?
On Sportsters (07 up) they can nick easily.
 
The FSM says ...press the quick connect fitting onto the fuel joint until both retainer pawls lock with a “CLICK”

If it is hard to connect, put a small amount of engine oil on the joint end.
 
I replaced the fuel line because I damaged the connection when I removed it (it wasn't cheap). I put a tiny dab of grease on the connector (engine side of joint) and it snapped together easily. I still think this is not a very good design. When disconnecting the fuel tank joint I had the legs of the connector compressed as far as they could possibly go (I used needle nose plyers) and this still was not adequate for the clips to disengage the hooks. That's when I resorted to forcing the joint apart with a screwdriver and damaged it.
 
Update: Buttoned the bike up tonight. Said a prayer, turned the key on and hit the button, and it started immediately! Initial idle speed was approx. 1250 RPM. Put 22 miles on the bike, mostly around town, but included a short (about 5 mile) stretch of freeway. The idle speed very quickly dropped to about 1,050 RPM, where it remained the rest of my ride. So it initially appears that the new IACV solved the high/low/stalling problem, as the bike ran perfectly, but it's too early to reach that conclusion. I need to put several hundred miles on the bike before I believe that it is fixed. I'll post some more information soon, including some pictures. Thanks to all the great forum members for their technical support and encouragement.
 
Dave_imp said:
Update: Buttoned the bike up tonight. Said a prayer, turned the key on and hit the button, and it started immediately! Initial idle speed was approx. 1250 RPM. Put 22 miles on the bike, mostly around town, but included a short (about 5 mile) stretch of freeway. The idle speed very quickly dropped to about 1,050 RPM, where it remained the rest of my ride. So it initially appears that the new IACV solved the high/low/stalling problem, as the bike ran perfectly, but it's too early to reach that conclusion. I need to put several hundred miles on the bike before I believe that it is fixed. I'll post some more information soon, including some pictures. Thanks to all the great forum members for their technical support and encouragement.
Congrats on getting the bike back together; at least you've done what you set out to do: you exhausted other possibilities, then took on the IACV AND checked valves. You're at exactly where you wanted to be at. Time will tell, fingers crossed for you.
 
Dave, you are running like a swiss watch!
thanks for the update and you are right about early days.
If things keep ticking over like this you will be in a very select group of owners that deserve a lot of respect.
:worship:

max
 
Congratulations, Dave. Once again congratulations on your persistence and those of the forum members who have assisted and encouraged you.

I hope your bike is cured.
 
I sincerely hope that after all the hard work you did that your bike runs perfectly from now on till the end of time.
Also thank you for keeping us updated and informed about the rebuild.
 
Dave_imp said:
Update: Buttoned the bike up tonight. Said a prayer, turned the key on and hit the button, and it started immediately! Initial idle speed was approx. 1250 RPM. Put 22 miles on the bike, mostly around town, but included a short (about 5 mile) stretch of freeway. The idle speed very quickly dropped to about 1,050 RPM, where it remained the rest of my ride. So it initially appears that the new IACV solved the high/low/stalling problem, as the bike ran perfectly, but it's too early to reach that conclusion. I need to put several hundred miles on the bike before I believe that it is fixed. I'll post some more information soon, including some pictures. Thanks to all the great forum members for their technical support and encouragement.
Awesome Dave, fingers crossed that through your diligence and hard work, that your bike is now among the normal. You certainly deserve that.
 
Thanks guys, you're all the best! I have a bunch of pictures I need to upload from my phone that I will be sharing. I would like to put them into PowerPoint slides so I can edit them with comments- can I upload PP pictures to this site?
 
Dave_imp said:
Update: Buttoned the bike up tonight. Said a prayer, turned the key on and hit the button, and it started immediately! Initial idle speed was approx. 1250 RPM. Put 22 miles on the bike, mostly around town, but included a short (about 5 mile) stretch of freeway. The idle speed very quickly dropped to about 1,050 RPM, where it remained the rest of my ride. So it initially appears that the new IACV solved the high/low/stalling problem, as the bike ran perfectly, but it's too early to reach that conclusion. I need to put several hundred miles on the bike before I believe that it is fixed. I'll post some more information soon, including some pictures. Thanks to all the great forum members for their technical support and encouragement.
I'd suggest that a spirited long ride should be considered part of the repair process! Congratulations on all that you accomplished.
 
Dave_imp said:
Thanks guys, you're all the best! I have a bunch of pictures I need to upload from my phone that I will be sharing. I would like to put them into PowerPoint slides so I can edit them with comments- can I upload PP pictures to this site?
Dave, I’m sure we can figure a way to do this. Let me know if you have any trouble.
 
Magnus_imp said:
Good to hear, Dave! What part of San Diego are you in?
Hi Magnus. I am just off the Genesee Avenue exit from 163, near the intersection of Linda Vista Road and Genesee Ave. And you?
 
Update, and something interesting: I've had the bike out the past two evenings (25 miles Wednesday, a lot of stop and go) and about 10 miles last night. So far it is running perfectly!

To my surprise, for the very first time, (at least that I have ever noticed) I discovered that my idle speed increased a very small amount when I was releasing the clutch when the engine was just started and still in the cold/high idle mode. I had to actually stop the bike twice to determine if what I was seeing was real, or imagined. Just at the point where the clutch would begin to engage the RPM increased by less than 200 RPM. I have never noticed this before, but the increase was so slight that it's possible that I just missed it. This is a topic that was brought up (I believe in this thread) a while back, but not much was ever said about it (Ferret commented about it). Ever since the topic first came up I was checking my bike to see if it was happening, and it was not. But like I said, it was such a small change in RPM, and it happened so quickly and almost completely unnoticed, it may have been happening to my bike and I never noticed. Has anybody else noticed that their bike does this also? I wonder if replacing the IACV had anything to do with this?
 
Dave that only happened to my bike once, when it was cold out (around freezing iirc.) I have not been able to repeat that in the 2 times I have tried since it has warmed up. Since then, the rpms have always gone down when letting out the clutch in gear with the idle on cold idle and hand off the throttle. I thought it had to do with further enriching the circuit due to cold outside air temp, but I would think that would not be an issue in San Diego.

BTW that is something I would have never even thought to try had someone not mentioned it here.
 
Dave_imp said:
Update, and something interesting: I've had the bike out the past two evenings (25 miles Wednesday, a lot of stop and go) and about 10 miles last night. So far it is running perfectly!

To my surprise, for the very first time, (at least that I have ever noticed) I discovered that my idle speed increased a very small amount when I was releasing the clutch when the engine was just started and still in the cold/high idle mode. I had to actually stop the bike twice to determine if what I was seeing was real, or imagined. Just at the point where the clutch would begin to engage the RPM increased by less than 200 RPM. I have never noticed this before, but the increase was so slight that it's possible that I just missed it. This is a topic that was brought up (I believe in this thread) a while back, but not much was ever said about it (Ferret commented about it). Ever since the topic first came up I was checking my bike to see if it was happening, and it was not. But like I said, it was such a small change in RPM, and it happened so quickly and almost completely unnoticed, it may have been happening to my bike and I never noticed. Has anybody else noticed that their bike does this also? I wonder if replacing the IACV had anything to do with this?
Good to hear...so far, so good; fingers still crossed for you.
 
Back
Top