Dave, sadly there’s no way I can answer the question you pose, but I did want to tell you I’m full of admiration for your incredible persistence chasing down a solution to this problem.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I can't imagine living anyplace where I would be in stop and go traffic for more than an hour. What a nightmare that must be.Dude_imp said:The only time i have idle issues is in stop and go traffic for > 1 hr, idle drops down to 500rpm sometimes, hasnt died on me yet though. Otherwise everything is on point.
Hi Cormanus, thank you very much. I have to thank all the great people on this forum who have encouraged and supported me the whole way. The job is only half way done now, and I am praying that the new IACV will cure this idle problem.Cormanus_imp said:Dave, sadly there’s no way I can answer the question you pose, but I did want to tell you I’m full of admiration for your incredible persistence chasing down a solution to this problem.
I can't imagine living anyplace where I would be in stop and go traffic for more than an hour. What a nightmare that must be.The ferret_imp said:I can't imagine living anyplace where I would be in stop and go traffic for more than an hour. What a nightmare that must be.Dude_imp said:The only time i have idle issues is in stop and go traffic for > 1 hr, idle drops down to 500rpm sometimes, hasnt died on me yet though. Otherwise everything is on point.
I have to say, knowing of this just made my day--and I'm not even Dave.Magnus_imp said:Dave,
If you run into any trouble I'm in San Diego as well and did the IACV a while ago as you probably know. I think I remember most of it. Sounds like you have a good hand on it and are taking it slow. But if you get truly stuck I'll be around this weekend. I could bring my CB so you can compare parts/wiring locations if you get lost. Eight Five Eight Nine 6 7 5 4 Eight 0
- John

I have to say, knowing of this just made my day--and I'm not even Dave.pdedse_imp said:I have to say, knowing of this just made my day--and I'm not even Dave.Magnus_imp said:Dave,
If you run into any trouble I'm in San Diego as well and did the IACV a while ago as you probably know. I think I remember most of it. Sounds like you have a good hand on it and are taking it slow. But if you get truly stuck I'll be around this weekend. I could bring my CB so you can compare parts/wiring locations if you get lost. Eight Five Eight Nine 6 7 5 4 Eight 0
- John
:beerchug:

My hat is off to you, John!Magnus_imp said:Dave,
If you run into any trouble I'm in San Diego as well and did the IACV a while ago as you probably know. I think I remember most of it. Sounds like you have a good hand on it and are taking it slow. But if you get truly stuck I'll be around this weekend. I could bring my CB so you can compare parts/wiring locations if you get lost. Eight Five Eight Nine 6 7 5 4 Eight 0
- John
Thank you Doc. I do not believe our bikes have a travel limit sensor switch, so your second option of measuring the current is probably how Honda does it. Maybe my valve got stuck at one time and this caused a higher than normal current flow that somehow disrupted the calibration (if there is a calibration) between the valve and the ECM?SportsterDoc_imp said:The FSM may not so mention, but I would be tempted to spray silicone lubricant on the IACV piston before installing.
Good luck, Dave. I will be off-line tomorrow (going to Laughlin, via Kingman and Oatman) but will log-on as soon as I get home, as I am anxious to know of your progress.
Dave_imp said:First off, my sincere thank you to John for his very generous offer. Hopefully I will not have to call you, but it's nice to know that help is not far away. John - did you remove your rear wheel to get the fender out? Did you remove the entre throttle body assembly?
I reinstalled the battery last night and tested the old and new IACVs side-by-side. I must have cycled each one thirty times, alternating back and forth. In all honesty, I cannot detect any difference in the way they operate. But this test only checks what I believe to be only a small portion of the full operation of the IACV; I'm sure you guys who are much more knowledgeable on this topic would know how to perform a more thorough inspection.
The valve is metallic, so I assume it is aluminum. The port in the cylinder is completely clean and there is no obstruction.
My plan is to get the new IACV installed tomorrow. I will perform a valve clearance inspection while I have the tank off, but I don't know if I'll have time tomorrow to do all of this (other chores and responsibilities are calling).
Thanks again to all you guys for all of your support!
If it homes via current sensing, then getting stuck would give false feedback to the ECM. The ECM would think it did a full travel, instead of a partial travel, but we are just guessing, without knowing more about the actual ECM program.Dave_imp said:Thank you Doc. I do not believe our bikes have a travel limit sensor switch, so your second option of measuring the current is probably how Honda does it. Maybe my valve got stuck at one time and this caused a higher than normal current flow that somehow disrupted the calibration (if there is a calibration) between the valve and the ECM?SportsterDoc_imp said:The FSM may not so mention, but I would be tempted to spray silicone lubricant on the IACV piston before installing.
Good luck, Dave. I will be off-line tomorrow (going to Laughlin, via Kingman and Oatman) but will log-on as soon as I get home, as I am anxious to know of your progress.
I believe the FSM states to coat the valve with engine oil before installing it. What do you think about a very lite coat of grease? Would the grease potentially cause too much friction?
Grease may be too low viscosity and my thinking is that silicone spray lubricant may last longer. Do as you are most comfortable. If silicone, then check material compatibility...some is fine with plastics, rubber, etc....some are not.Dave_imp said:Thank you Doc. I do not believe our bikes have a travel limit sensor switch, so your second option of measuring the current is probably how Honda does it. Maybe my valve got stuck at one time and this caused a higher than normal current flow that somehow disrupted the calibration (if there is a calibration) between the valve and the ECM?SportsterDoc_imp said:The FSM may not so mention, but I would be tempted to spray silicone lubricant on the IACV piston before installing.
Good luck, Dave. I will be off-line tomorrow (going to Laughlin, via Kingman and Oatman) but will log-on as soon as I get home, as I am anxious to know of your progress.
I believe the FSM states to coat the valve with engine oil before installing it. What do you think about a very lite coat of grease? Would the grease potentially cause too much friction?