CB1100 Idle speed instability problem

pdedse_imp said:
Got a call from Honda Customer Service today! To refresh: back in late October or early November--I can't remember which--I took my bike to the dealer with letter in hand explaining the problem, but couldn't get the bike to "act up", so I decided against leaving bike with them. A few days later, talked to the SM who said without any check engine light and unable to duplicate the high/low idle issue, that it likely would be difficult for them to diagnose. He suggested I write my letter to Honda CS which I did and left a phone message about two weeks ago.

Back to my call: they wanted to know if I had the dealer look at the problem. I said "no" for the reasons stated above. We talked a good 20 minutes about the problem, the forum responses here, I mentioned a few specific cases. She said for anything to happen, the bike will need to be looked at by a dealer. No promises can be made, but she offered the hope that Honda will respond at times even when bikes are out of warranty. But, I need to the bike to break bad. Last 4 rides of 1-2 hrs riding, no real problem with idle, except just a dip below to 800-900 for a minute. Turn off engine, restart and all good. Nothing like before. But temps are down to 35-50 degrees, so that may play a part.

I asked about Service Bulletins and Recalls, of course nothing, but that she said they need to hear from owners with the problem. The answer is going to be contact dealer, but at least it will be better documented. In time, maybe that produces a response from Honda.

I told her that based on what my dealer said--that they need to replicate the problem--maybe when it warms up--I'll give them one go at it to see if they can determine anything. Anyway...at least they called as a result of me sending in my letter.

I encourage anyone experiencing the problem to do so.
as I said 2 pages back in this highly chaotic thread:

Riko_imp said:
Many views, some comments about bad fuel, nonsense in my country, only one solution, a whole trottle body replacement, under the second hand warranty, wich is one year in Belgium.



So I'm lucky that the issue exposed itself during that period.
Since the replacement back in June '16, the idle has been rock solid in all seasons and all conditions.

My dealer told me the procedure is that they inform Honda of a issue that could potentially lead to a recall after an investigation of the 'faulty' parts.
Thats why the dealer has to hold the parts for a certain period in wich Honda can investigate.

All this time I haven't heard anything from my dealer...either they didn't pick it up or if they did, they did't deem it worthy for a general or regional recall.

They replaced my throttle body on advice from a Honda dealer in The Netherlands wich applied the same method to cure the issue....
why don't all you guys use that video as a reference?
I made it as proof to show to my dealer, because in at the end of the day you can explain as much as you like in very clear words, if he can't see it, he can't judge about it.
And showing a forum thread of 52 pages...you can predict it aint gonna be read, nor should he.

Just show you dealer the video, its made for that reason, it helped me, so why not all the affected owners here, I think I've posted my video here about 3-4 times.

When looking at youtube and cannot see another similar video of the issue, so I am beginning to think that the issue isn't as wide spread as we might think.
As I also said, many pages before, we have no idea what so ever about the share of affected bikes against the total units sold worldwide...

I've done my share, by bringing it to the dealer, informing him about the issue so that he can inform Honda about the issue.
So far, Honda hasn't collected the affected parts of my bike for investigation nor has there been a recall for it, so for all that matters, we might actually be a minority.
 
Riko, sometimes in a thread this size it's easy for content to get overlooked as you've alluded to. Try not to take it personally, I'll bet that your video will be of assistance to someone else. I'm not sure how you would define wide spread in this case. Sales of this bike have been rather minuscule for Honda, so with this problem being experienced by only a subset of people who bought the bike, it's safe to say that the number of bikes involved is relatively small even if the percentage of bikes involved is higher than a manufacturer would like.
 
Riko_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Got a call from Honda Customer Service today! To refresh: back in late October or early November--I can't remember which--I took my bike to the dealer with letter in hand explaining the problem, but couldn't get the bike to "act up", so I decided against leaving bike with them. A few days later, talked to the SM who said without any check engine light and unable to duplicate the high/low idle issue, that it likely would be difficult for them to diagnose. He suggested I write my letter to Honda CS which I did and left a phone message about two weeks ago.

Back to my call: they wanted to know if I had the dealer look at the problem. I said "no" for the reasons stated above. We talked a good 20 minutes about the problem, the forum responses here, I mentioned a few specific cases. She said for anything to happen, the bike will need to be looked at by a dealer. No promises can be made, but she offered the hope that Honda will respond at times even when bikes are out of warranty. But, I need to the bike to break bad. Last 4 rides of 1-2 hrs riding, no real problem with idle, except just a dip below to 800-900 for a minute. Turn off engine, restart and all good. Nothing like before. But temps are down to 35-50 degrees, so that may play a part.

I asked about Service Bulletins and Recalls, of course nothing, but that she said they need to hear from owners with the problem. The answer is going to be contact dealer, but at least it will be better documented. In time, maybe that produces a response from Honda.

I told her that based on what my dealer said--that they need to replicate the problem--maybe when it warms up--I'll give them one go at it to see if they can determine anything. Anyway...at least they called as a result of me sending in my letter.

I encourage anyone experiencing the problem to do so.
as I said 2 pages back in this highly chaotic thread:

Riko_imp said:
Many views, some comments about bad fuel, nonsense in my country, only one solution, a whole trottle body replacement, under the second hand warranty, wich is one year in Belgium.



So I'm lucky that the issue exposed itself during that period.
Since the replacement back in June '16, the idle has been rock solid in all seasons and all conditions.

My dealer told me the procedure is that they inform Honda of a issue that could potentially lead to a recall after an investigation of the 'faulty' parts.
Thats why the dealer has to hold the parts for a certain period in wich Honda can investigate.

All this time I haven't heard anything from my dealer...either they didn't pick it up or if they did, they did't deem it worthy for a general or regional recall.

They replaced my throttle body on advice from a Honda dealer in The Netherlands wich applied the same method to cure the issue....
why don't all you guys use that video as a reference?
I made it as proof to show to my dealer, because in at the end of the day you can explain as much as you like in very clear words, if he can't see it, he can't judge about it.
And showing a forum thread of 52 pages...you can predict it aint gonna be read, nor should he.

Just show you dealer the video, its made for that reason, it helped me, so why not all the affected owners here, I think I've posted my video here about 3-4 times.

When looking at youtube and cannot see another similar video of the issue, so I am beginning to think that the issue isn't as wide spread as we might think.
As I also said, many pages before, we have no idea what so ever about the share of affected bikes against the total units sold worldwide...

I've done my share, by bringing it to the dealer, informing him about the issue so that he can inform Honda about the issue.
So far, Honda hasn't collected the affected parts of my bike for investigation nor has there been a recall for it, so for all that matters, we might actually be a minority.
Thanks for the reminder, Riko. I initially didn't have in mind to show the video because mine never stalled like yours, but now I think that yours was just showing a more "advanced" condition than mine.

So I will show both dealership and Honda CS. I'll email it to the rep I talked to at Honda CS; she encouraged updates. But she was insistent that it has to start with the dealer actually making a diagnosis. I was reluctant to do that after talking with the service manager who stated that without an engine warning light and without being able to duplicate the issue, he wasn't confident of finding a definitive answer after a 1 hr = $115 diagosis. Since my bike wouldn't exhibit the problem at the time I took the bike in, I didn't want to pay $115 for "we couldn't find anything wrong with the bike". I gave it every chance to heat up so that it would show high/low idle, but it behaved well. And--although I'm not fully convinced it is weather related--mine hasn't acted up the last 4 rides of 1-2 hours in temps of 40-50 degrees. Maybe my last "fix" of cleaning the Throttle Position Sensor connector worked...probably it didn't. But since then, I have had only two slight dipping instances below 1000rpm to maybe 850 on a completely warm-up engine, but cool ambient temp. Both times the slightly low idle returned to normal upon shutting down and restarting.

I need my bike to either be more consistent in its failure, or wait for warmer weather to see if that brings about the issue again...consistently. I will email your video to them. But you know they are going to say "that's fine, but we need to see your bike".

I do wonder about your dealer's fix: if I remember right, they replaced the whole throttle assembly. I assume because they couldn't really pinpoint the area, and thus it was cheaper to do a "blanket fix". While doing so, they would have disconnected the TPS from the throttle assembly. Forum member JDVALERO reports that wiring was crimped within his TPS connector. "Fixing that" (not sure what that means, maybe straitening?) has cured his bike of idle issues. I cleaned mine...yours was likely disconnected with throttle assembly. I ask myself, is this a question of a fouled TPS (wiring getting pinched, dirty--I don't know, just guessing) where it connects to throttle assembly? Time will tell for me, I guess.

The big difference between your situation and mine is that yours was under warranty. Mine is not. So, even if I show the dealer your video, they will want to see my bike, maybe they will conclude the same: replace throttle assembly. What happens then? Will I pay that ($3000+) with no assurances from Honda that they will come through and cover that? No, but if I can go to Honda and say my dealer confirms the fix is throttle assembly just like yours, that will be considered perhaps.

So that's the plan. I do thank you for the video. It will be used.
Guth_imp said:
Riko, sometimes in a thread this size it's easy for content to get overlooked as you've alluded to. Try not to take it personally, I'll bet that your video will be of assistance to someone else. I'm not sure how you would define wide spread in this case. Sales of this bike have been rather minuscule for Honda, so with this problem being experienced by only a subset of people who bought the bike, it's safe to say that the number of bikes involved is relatively small even if the percentage of bikes involved is higher than a manufacturer would like.
...and the percentage of bikes involved is definetly higher than what certain owners would like.
:)
Trying to maintain a sense of humor about the whole thing.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Got a call from Honda Customer Service today! To refresh: back in late October or early November--I can't remember which--I took my bike to the dealer with letter in hand explaining the problem, but couldn't get the bike to "act up", so I decided against leaving bike with them. A few days later, talked to the SM who said without any check engine light and unable to duplicate the high/low idle issue, that it likely would be difficult for them to diagnose. He suggested I write my letter to Honda CS which I did and left a phone message about two weeks ago.

Back to my call: they wanted to know if I had the dealer look at the problem. I said "no" for the reasons stated above. We talked a good 20 minutes about the problem, the forum responses here, I mentioned a few specific cases. She said for anything to happen, the bike will need to be looked at by a dealer. No promises can be made, but she offered the hope that Honda will respond at times even when bikes are out of warranty. But, I need to the bike to break bad. Last 4 rides of 1-2 hrs riding, no real problem with idle, except just a dip below to 800-900 for a minute. Turn off engine, restart and all good. Nothing like before. But temps are down to 35-50 degrees, so that may play a part.

I asked about Service Bulletins and Recalls, of course nothing, but that she said they need to hear from owners with the problem. The answer is going to be contact dealer, but at least it will be better documented. In time, maybe that produces a response from Honda.

I told her that based on what my dealer said--that they need to replicate the problem--maybe when it warms up--I'll give them one go at it to see if they can determine anything. Anyway...at least they called as a result of me sending in my letter.

I encourage anyone experiencing the problem to do so.
as I said 2 pages back in this highly chaotic thread:

Riko_imp said:
Many views, some comments about bad fuel, nonsense in my country, only one solution, a whole trottle body replacement, under the second hand warranty, wich is one year in Belgium.



So I'm lucky that the issue exposed itself during that period.
Since the replacement back in June '16, the idle has been rock solid in all seasons and all conditions.

My dealer told me the procedure is that they inform Honda of a issue that could potentially lead to a recall after an investigation of the 'faulty' parts.
Thats why the dealer has to hold the parts for a certain period in wich Honda can investigate.

All this time I haven't heard anything from my dealer...either they didn't pick it up or if they did, they did't deem it worthy for a general or regional recall.

They replaced my throttle body on advice from a Honda dealer in The Netherlands wich applied the same method to cure the issue....
why don't all you guys use that video as a reference?
I made it as proof to show to my dealer, because in at the end of the day you can explain as much as you like in very clear words, if he can't see it, he can't judge about it.
And showing a forum thread of 52 pages...you can predict it aint gonna be read, nor should he.

Just show you dealer the video, its made for that reason, it helped me, so why not all the affected owners here, I think I've posted my video here about 3-4 times.

When looking at youtube and cannot see another similar video of the issue, so I am beginning to think that the issue isn't as wide spread as we might think.
As I also said, many pages before, we have no idea what so ever about the share of affected bikes against the total units sold worldwide...

I've done my share, by bringing it to the dealer, informing him about the issue so that he can inform Honda about the issue.
So far, Honda hasn't collected the affected parts of my bike for investigation nor has there been a recall for it, so for all that matters, we might actually be a minority.
Thanks for the reminder, Riko. I initially didn't have in mind to show the video because mine never stalled like yours, but now I think that yours was just showing a more "advanced" condition than mine.

So I will show both dealership and Honda CS. I'll email it to the rep I talked to at Honda CS; she encouraged updates. But she was insistent that it has to start with the dealer actually making a diagnosis. I was reluctant to do that after talking with the service manager who stated that without an engine warning light and without being able to duplicate the issue, he wasn't confident of finding a definitive answer after a 1 hr = $115 diagosis. Since my bike wouldn't exhibit the problem at the time I took the bike in, I didn't want to pay $115 for "we couldn't find anything wrong with the bike". I gave it every chance to heat up so that it would show high/low idle, but it behaved well. And--although I'm not fully convinced it is weather related--mine hasn't acted up the last 4 rides of 1-2 hours in temps of 40-50 degrees. Maybe my last "fix" of cleaning the Throttle Position Sensor connector worked...probably it didn't. But since then, I have had only two slight dipping instances below 1000rpm to maybe 850 on a completely warm-up engine, but cool ambient temp. Both times the slightly low idle returned to normal upon shutting down and restarting.

I need my bike to either be more consistent in its failure, or wait for warmer weather to see if that brings about the issue again...consistently. I will email your video to them. But you know they are going to say "that's fine, but we need to see your bike".

I do wonder about your dealer's fix: if I remember right, they replaced the whole throttle assembly. I assume because they couldn't really pinpoint the area, and thus it was cheaper to do a "blanket fix". While doing so, they would have disconnected the TPS from the throttle assembly. Forum member JDVALERO reports that wiring was crimped within his TPS connector. "Fixing that" (not sure what that means, maybe straitening?) has cured his bike of idle issues. I cleaned mine...yours was likely disconnected with throttle assembly. I ask myself, is this a question of a fouled TPS (wiring getting pinched, dirty--I don't know, just guessing) where it connects to throttle assembly? Time will tell for me, I guess.

The big difference between your situation and mine is that yours was under warranty. Mine is not. So, even if I show the dealer your video, they will want to see my bike, maybe they will conclude the same: replace throttle assembly. What happens then? Will I pay that ($3000+) with no assurances from Honda that they will come through and cover that? No, but if I can go to Honda and say my dealer confirms the fix is throttle assembly just like yours, that will be considered perhaps.

So that's the plan. I do thank you for the video. It will be used.
Guth_imp said:
Riko, sometimes in a thread this size it's easy for content to get overlooked as you've alluded to. Try not to take it personally, I'll bet that your video will be of assistance to someone else. I'm not sure how you would define wide spread in this case. Sales of this bike have been rather minuscule for Honda, so with this problem being experienced by only a subset of people who bought the bike, it's safe to say that the number of bikes involved is relatively small even if the percentage of bikes involved is higher than a manufacturer would like.
...and the percentage of bikes involved is definetly higher than what certain owners would like.
:)
Trying to maintain a sense of humor about the whole thing.
Oh, without a doubt.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
"I need my bike to either be more consistent in its failure, or wait for warmer weather to see if that brings about the issue again...consistently"


Lol my bike is running good and I can't stand it
 
Guth_imp said:
Riko, sometimes in a thread this size it's easy for content to get overlooked as you've alluded to. Try not to take it personally, I'll bet that your video will be of assistance to someone else. I'm not sure how you would define wide spread in this case. Sales of this bike have been rather minuscule for Honda, so with this problem being experienced by only a subset of people who bought the bike, it's safe to say that the number of bikes involved is relatively small even if the percentage of bikes involved is higher than a manufacturer would like.
I'm still eager to know what the sales figures are worldwide of this bike since 2010, when the bike came out in Japan untill now where its available worldwide.
 
The ferret_imp said:
"I need my bike to either be more consistent in its failure, or wait for warmer weather to see if that brings about the issue again...consistently"


Lol my bike is running good and I can't stand it
Arg! :rofl: We all should have such the dilema!
 
Riko_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Riko, sometimes in a thread this size it's easy for content to get overlooked as you've alluded to. Try not to take it personally, I'll bet that your video will be of assistance to someone else. I'm not sure how you would define wide spread in this case. Sales of this bike have been rather minuscule for Honda, so with this problem being experienced by only a subset of people who bought the bike, it's safe to say that the number of bikes involved is relatively small even if the percentage of bikes involved is higher than a manufacturer would like.
I'm still eager to know what the sales figures are worldwide of this bike since 2010, when the bike came out in Japan untill now where its available worldwide.
I'm still eager to know what the sales figures are worldwide of this bike since 2010, when the bike came out in Japan untill now where its available worldwide.
Riko, you will never know those figures because Honda won't release them. I even asked a contact I had at Honda in 2015 and he wouldn't or couldn't say. It is important enough for Honda to be in it's 8th year of continual production, so it must be selling "alright" to them.
 
thats my feeling as well, worldwide, in 7 years, they sold many units....but what is 'many' of course.

From all those units sold I'm thinking the ones with the idle issues must be marginal because as it is Honda doesn't do anything or at least recognize any issue.

The bike hasn't even changed mechanically from 2010 untill the EX/DLX models, thats untill 2017 when they went a bit further, but even than the actueal engine is basically the same.
As far as I know, the only mechanical parts that changed were the exhausts.
Single sided to Single + dual and now the 2017 models with different dual sided design.
And a slipper clutch.

Engine wise I have to recognise that all pré 2017 update models were Euro 3, while the 2017 models are Euro 4....but if that translates in new components that could lie at the root of these idle issues, who knows...
 
I figure that I stand about as much chance of learning what those sales figures are as I do getting my hands on the gorgeous 4-into-1 exhaust that was featured on the CB1100F concept bike shown in Tokyo back in 2007. :D

I've come to the conclusion that Honda created the CB1100 primarily for Honda themselves and for others who share a passion for Honda's history. I'm guessing that the sales figures are of little concern to them when it comes to this bike. Looking back in time, every once in a while Honda has decided to create something to celebrate their history or their engineering prowess (or both). Such projects often result in products that I happen to find incredibly appealing. For whatever reason it seems that the market overall hasn't reacted nearly as enthusiastically. So it goes with the CB1100. The only market that I can imagine might have exceeded Honda's expectations for this bike in terms of sales would be the Japanese market. But again, I don't think Honda is sweating it one way or the other. All of which makes me that much more grateful that they decided to share this bike with those of us here in North America in the first place. The fact that they've brought the bike back in 2017 only strengthens those feelings for me.
 
Hmmm, this guy has a video in three parts where he cleans his tps.

The symptoms sound the same as ours, slightly long winded but has some interesting tricks in it probably worth a look;


also has some good comments from other owners.

Thanks for keeping an eye out for this issue,Riko, as far as i can see your new throttle body has only 2 parts in it that are electronic controls; the tps and the iacv, kinda makes an easy choice.

The tps adjustment is kinda critical and may be the reason why they sell them as a unit to save on labor and mistakes made by undertrained mechanics.

by the way, a tps is exactly the same as a volume control on your radio, a variable resistor, and remember when it crackles if the volume changes?

cheers max
 
The three part video is 10 minutes + 10 minutes + 8 minutes, 48 seconds.
Part two shows the “cleaning”.

There is risk, since contact cleaner may dislodge particles, but might not completely remove particles…which may be a future problem. If “cleaning” worsens the issue, there is more risk, since the TPS is not available without purchasing the entire throttle body assembly. For automotive applications, replacement is standard procedure.

OTOH, contact cleaner and filtered compressed air in a can have helped maintain 1973 and 1977 travel trailers at my ranch. If the TPS is to be cleaned, perhaps alternate contact cleaner with filtered compressed air, two or three times.

Keep in mind that the video is of a Yamaha, so diagnostics are not applicable and access on our CB1100s is VERY easy. The only complication on mine would be removing the white paint indicating that fastener torque was checked. There is so much paint, that I cannot see if it is Allen or Torx (the Yamaha was T25 security Torx).

The bottom line, at this point, is that if there is no vacuum loss, if there are no codes (such as DTC 8-1, 8-2), the IAC and/or TPS functions are suspect and cleaning may solve the problem.
 
Riko_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Got a call from Honda Customer Service today! To refresh: back in late October or early November--I can't remember which--I took my bike to the dealer with letter in hand explaining the problem, but couldn't get the bike to "act up", so I decided against leaving bike with them. A few days later, talked to the SM who said without any check engine light and unable to duplicate the high/low idle issue, that it likely would be difficult for them to diagnose. He suggested I write my letter to Honda CS which I did and left a phone message about two weeks ago.

Back to my call: they wanted to know if I had the dealer look at the problem. I said "no" for the reasons stated above. We talked a good 20 minutes about the problem, the forum responses here, I mentioned a few specific cases. She said for anything to happen, the bike will need to be looked at by a dealer. No promises can be made, but she offered the hope that Honda will respond at times even when bikes are out of warranty. But, I need to the bike to break bad. Last 4 rides of 1-2 hrs riding, no real problem with idle, except just a dip below to 800-900 for a minute. Turn off engine, restart and all good. Nothing like before. But temps are down to 35-50 degrees, so that may play a part.

I asked about Service Bulletins and Recalls, of course nothing, but that she said they need to hear from owners with the problem. The answer is going to be contact dealer, but at least it will be better documented. In time, maybe that produces a response from Honda.

I told her that based on what my dealer said--that they need to replicate the problem--maybe when it warms up--I'll give them one go at it to see if they can determine anything. Anyway...at least they called as a result of me sending in my letter.

I encourage anyone experiencing the problem to do so.
as I said 2 pages back in this highly chaotic thread:

Riko_imp said:
Many views, some comments about bad fuel, nonsense in my country, only one solution, a whole trottle body replacement, under the second hand warranty, wich is one year in Belgium.



So I'm lucky that the issue exposed itself during that period.
Since the replacement back in June '16, the idle has been rock solid in all seasons and all conditions.

My dealer told me the procedure is that they inform Honda of a issue that could potentially lead to a recall after an investigation of the 'faulty' parts.
Thats why the dealer has to hold the parts for a certain period in wich Honda can investigate.

All this time I haven't heard anything from my dealer...either they didn't pick it up or if they did, they did't deem it worthy for a general or regional recall.

They replaced my throttle body on advice from a Honda dealer in The Netherlands wich applied the same method to cure the issue....
why don't all you guys use that video as a reference?
I made it as proof to show to my dealer, because in at the end of the day you can explain as much as you like in very clear words, if he can't see it, he can't judge about it.
And showing a forum thread of 52 pages...you can predict it aint gonna be read, nor should he.

Just show you dealer the video, its made for that reason, it helped me, so why not all the affected owners here, I think I've posted my video here about 3-4 times.

When looking at youtube and cannot see another similar video of the issue, so I am beginning to think that the issue isn't as wide spread as we might think.
As I also said, many pages before, we have no idea what so ever about the share of affected bikes against the total units sold worldwide...

I've done my share, by bringing it to the dealer, informing him about the issue so that he can inform Honda about the issue.
So far, Honda hasn't collected the affected parts of my bike for investigation nor has there been a recall for it, so for all that matters, we might actually be a minority.
as I said 2 pages back in this highly chaotic thread:

Riko_imp said:
Many views, some comments about bad fuel, nonsense in my country, only one solution, a whole trottle body replacement, under the second hand warranty, wich is one year in Belgium.



So I'm lucky that the issue exposed itself during that period.
Since the replacement back in June '16, the idle has been rock solid in all seasons and all conditions.

My dealer told me the procedure is that they inform Honda of a issue that could potentially lead to a recall after an investigation of the 'faulty' parts.
Thats why the dealer has to hold the parts for a certain period in wich Honda can investigate.

All this time I haven't heard anything from my dealer...either they didn't pick it up or if they did, they did't deem it worthy for a general or regional recall.

They replaced my throttle body on advice from a Honda dealer in The Netherlands wich applied the same method to cure the issue....
why don't all you guys use that video as a reference?
I made it as proof to show to my dealer, because in at the end of the day you can explain as much as you like in very clear words, if he can't see it, he can't judge about it.
And showing a forum thread of 52 pages...you can predict it aint gonna be read, nor should he.

Just show you dealer the video, its made for that reason, it helped me, so why not all the affected owners here, I think I've posted my video here about 3-4 times.

When looking at youtube and cannot see another similar video of the issue, so I am beginning to think that the issue isn't as wide spread as we might think.
As I also said, many pages before, we have no idea what so ever about the share of affected bikes against the total units sold worldwide...

I've done my share, by bringing it to the dealer, informing him about the issue so that he can inform Honda about the issue.
So far, Honda hasn't collected the affected parts of my bike for investigation nor has there been a recall for it, so for all that matters, we might actually be a minority.
Riko, thanks for your continuing efforts on this subject, at the risk of asking the obvious, can you confirm;
1 your idle issue has been completely solved for about a year( and hopefully forever) ? and
2 you have your throttle old throttle body available to you?

cheers max
 
no prob

To answer your questions, no, no issues what so ever, runs and idles 100% perfectly. :thumbsup:
All season rider here and been riding much longer with the new parts than with the old.
Bike has now around 22486km, bought it with 2000km and the issue started around 7400km, so been riding troublefree for 15000km with the new parts.

The replaced parts were kept for investigation and destroyed afterwards, so I don't have them and neither should the dealer.
 
It may be significant that there are codes for MAP, EOT, TPS, IAT, rear wheel speed sensor, each of the 4 injectors and O2...but not IACV, other than poor connection (DTC 29-1) for symptoms of "engine stalls, hard to start, rough idling".

The IACV is stepper motor operated.

A stepper receives pulses to drive to a programmed position, but provides no feedback to the ECM, for the ECM to know if the position was achieved or not...unlike a servo with an encoder.

I would expect carbon build-up may be a problem with the IACV...more on vehicles used mainly for short trips.

Popgun has a plausible theory about warping in the plastic intake manifold affecting IACV travel.

So, if visual inspection for vacuumn leaks and propane test are negative, no TPS codes 8-1 or 8-2, I would first suspect the IACV and clean it...replace if motor not operating. If no joy, then clean or replace TPS, if available.

I expect that Max was hoping Riko in Belgium had a likely defective TPS to compare with a known good unit or measure resistance per step 3 of FSM page 5-25 at 0.5 to 1.5 Kohms.

Also, since Riko's problem seems to be solved by a new throttle body assembly, which would likely have included a new IACV and a new TPS, we cannot know which one was the issue (or if a vacuum leak contributed), however, cycling the run/stop (kill) switch does cycle the IACV (FSM 5-74) and got it running after the video-documented stall and difficult restart. This may point to the IACV, as well as keeping the TPS as a suspect.

This also does not rule out an EOT issue for some forum members, but that sensor is easy to check (2.4-2.9 K ohms at 20C/68F).

These are basic TPS checks condensed from FSM 5-23 and 5-24 (no Honda MCS diagnostic instrument needed):

DTC 8-1 TP (Throttle Position) sensor low voltage
With ignition switch on and stop/run on, probe sensor contacts to verify steady voltage increase from throttle fully closed to throttle fully open.
With ignition switch off, disconnect the connector, then with ignition switch on and stop/run on, measure voltage between connector pins black/yellow (+) to black/green (-) for 4.75 to 5.25 vdc.
If no voltage, with ignition off, check continuity on black/yellow to ECM connector, for continuity of center pin sensor output black/red wire to ECM connector and for no continuity (infinity) of black/red wire to ground.

DTC 8-2 TP (Throttle Position) sensor high voltage
With ignition switch off, disconnect the connector, measure sensor resistance between black/red and black green of 0.5 to 1.5 K ohms. Then with ignition switch on and stop/run on, measure voltage between connector pins black/yellow (+) to black/green (-) for 4.75 to 5.25 vdc.
 
Riko, thanks again for your help, having looked at all the clues we have up to this point my suspicion is that we are looking at a tps fault that creeps in over time in a small batch of bikes.

It explains why it takes some time before the fault appears and slowly gets worse.
It explains why it sometimes initiates after driving in a hot situation.
It explains why a wot reset works but only very briefly.
It explains why the kill switch reset works but only briefly.
The bad spot is still there and wears out more over time.

It may be that honda has difficulty finding the fault because their sensors give very little problems due to good engineering ( speculation ) and are not familiar with the problem.

The next problem is the diagnosis itself, even a technician with an oscilloscope would have difficulty finding the bad spot on the sensor, let alone a digital multimeter for this purpose, and because the sensor still reads mostly ok there is no fault code, the ecu does not look for a spotty reading, it only registers very low or high ( wiper broken ) voltage before it sets a code.

So the replacement of the tps or the body and do an a-b comparison is the best test i can come up with so far.

cheers max
 
Max: Good observations and conclusions in your post 616.
When the TPS is suspect, it can be checked on the bike, key on, run/stop on, probing for a steady increase in voltage from throttle closed to throttle wide open.
It can also be checked for resistance, when disconnected.
See FSM page 5-23.

However, I am still inclined to conclude that idle instability has more than one cause, so that the IACV and a vacuum leak should be checked, especially when there is no DTC.

Thus, we have leave hope for future issues, in that a new throttle body assembly may not be the only possible solution.

For TPS failure, when cleaning is not a solution, how do we lobby Honda to provide a TPS, separate from the throttle body assembly?

The TPS on my 2014 standard is Keihin JT6H 40226.
 
More TPS basics:
The slots for the two mounting fasteners allow initial calibration when replacing a TPS.
With ignition on, stop/run on, the center position pin (black/red wire) probed with voltmeter + lead, with - lead connected to ground, voltage at closed throttle should be 0.5 vdc. If not, rotate unit to read 0.5 vdc. The reading then should be 4.5 vdc at WOT (wide open throttle).

Opening throttle slowly should result in a smooth voltage increase from closed to WOT.
 
For those following this, there is a fair amount of discussion going on behind the sceens between me, Max, and Sportsterdoc. Doc is (mostly) taking the lead here.

We also have found that the Honda Rune has some problem they call BBS and a TPS fixes it. Does anyone know what BBS is? Their board is pretty limited unless, apparently, you join and the BBS stuff is on the “tech board” which I can’t even see.

They found a replacements for the TPS and we are trying to locate a source for us here. We’re working on it.
 
The Keihin JT6H throttle position sensor is available on-line.
It has been suggested that the second line of numbers (40226 on mine) may be a batch number or mold number or serial number.

A typical TPS uses 5 vdc input, outputs 0.5 vdc throttle closed and 4.5 vdc WOT. So, it is possible (likely?) that any JT6H will work, if the mounting, mating and connector is the same.

There are many sources on-line. However, my concern is manufacturing standards, as well as seeing photos showing signs of the supposedly new unit having been mounted.

Are these truly new or did they not meet OEM specs and are "seconds"?

Until one is purchased and tested, this is not a recommended source.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Aut...da-JAZZ-For-Wholesale-Retail/32660577267.html

Just advising current research...preferably a source from Japan or affiliated with Honda...ideally from Honda direct.

Meanwhile, for anyone currently having an idle issue, please advise TPS voltage readings. A safety pin (sharp, easy to push and easy to pull out) makes a good probe into the connector middle position...or to penetrate the black/red middle wire near the connector (hole can be sealed with silicone).

1600 miles on my 2014 standard since Nov 7.
 
Back
Top