CB1100 Idle speed instability problem

Dave, just wondering if your battery change took longer than the 10 minutes you disconnected the battery for in your first attempt to reset the computer?
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Dave, just wondering if your battery change took longer than the 10 minutes you disconnected the battery for in your first attempt to reset the computer?
Hi George. My battery was disconnected for about two hours. I will be posting an update within the next few days, as soon as I have time. I just put some miles on my bike yesterday for the first time in almost three weeks. In summary, my idle speed has been returning to approximately 1,050 RPM, just the way it should since I replaced the battery.
 
So is this a universal issue? Only certain VIN's affected? Never had an issue with mine but only have 2200 miles on it over a year.
I mean, this is kind of discouraging, it would be good to know the true scope of the problem
 
Very random, mostly in Europe/Asia on EX's
 
Dave_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
Dave, just wondering if your battery change took longer than the 10 minutes you disconnected the battery for in your first attempt to reset the computer?
Hi George. My battery was disconnected for about two hours. I will be posting an update within the next few days, as soon as I have time. I just put some miles on my bike yesterday for the first time in almost three weeks. In summary, my idle speed has been returning to approximately 1,050 RPM, just the way it should since I replaced the battery.
Hi George. My battery was disconnected for about two hours. I will be posting an update within the next few days, as soon as I have time. I just put some miles on my bike yesterday for the first time in almost three weeks. In summary, my idle speed has been returning to approximately 1,050 RPM, just the way it should since I replaced the battery.
Hi Dave. My theory was that it needed longer than 10 minutes, maybe 30 or more to reset the computer.
 
DaSwami_imp said:
So is this a universal issue? Only certain VIN's affected? Never had an issue with mine but only have 2200 miles on it over a year.
I mean, this is kind of discouraging, it would be good to know the true scope of the problem
Nobody knows the issue, nobody knows the solution.
Thats the bottom line.

EX bikes worldwide have been at dealers, without success.

Only working 'solution' was replacing a whole throttle body.
Under warranty.

In my video in this thread you see what happens on sole EX's.



Had the bike since december 2015, replaced the body in June.
Now I have ridden more kilometers than the period before the replacement and the idle is solid.
I feel confident to say that issue is not gonna happen again on my bike...

But what the cause was, is still a mystery and as far as I know Honda hasn't organised a recall yet.

Also, we musn't mix different issues here.
I speak of low idle that leads to STALLING.
That ONLY occurs on the EX bikes in Europe and Asia.
North America have no EX models, and I aslo don't read about stalling or low idling stalling bikes

I read here about issues of high idling....different thing.
 
Riko_imp said:
DaSwami_imp said:
So is this a universal issue? Only certain VIN's affected? Never had an issue with mine but only have 2200 miles on it over a year.
I mean, this is kind of discouraging, it would be good to know the true scope of the problem
Nobody knows the issue, nobody knows the solution.
Thats the bottom line.

EX bikes worldwide have been at dealers, without success.

Only working 'solution' was replacing a whole throttle body.
Under warranty.

In my video in this thread you see what happens on sole EX's.



Had the bike since december 2015, replaced the body in June.
Now I have ridden more kilometers than the period before the replacement and the idle is solid.
I feel confident to say that issue is not gonna happen again on my bike...

But what the cause was, is still a mystery and as far as I know Honda hasn't organised a recall yet.

Also, we musn't mix different issues here.
I speak of low idle that leads to STALLING.
That ONLY occurs on the EX bikes in Europe and Asia.
North America have no EX models, and I aslo don't read about stalling or low idling stalling bikes

I read here about issues of high idling....different thing.
Nobody knows the issue, nobody knows the solution.
Thats the bottom line.

EX bikes worldwide have been at dealers, without success.

Only working 'solution' was replacing a whole throttle body.
Under warranty.

In my video in this thread you see what happens on sole EX's.



Had the bike since december 2015, replaced the body in June.
Now I have ridden more kilometers than the period before the replacement and the idle is solid.
I feel confident to say that issue is not gonna happen again on my bike...

But what the cause was, is still a mystery and as far as I know Honda hasn't organised a recall yet.

Also, we musn't mix different issues here.
I speak of low idle that leads to STALLING.
That ONLY occurs on the EX bikes in Europe and Asia.
North America have no EX models, and I aslo don't read about stalling or low idling stalling bikes

I read here about issues of high idling....different thing. My bike experienced both low RPM idling and stalling, and high RPM (1,500 RPM) idling. It initially started stalling (this began almost a year ago), and this went away by itself. Then one day I was experiencing stalling again, and suddenly it began the high RPM idle, which seems to come and go at will also.
 
Alright, now I'm confused. On the way home from work tonight, my '13 model started experiencing odd idle behavior.

After about 4 miles I decided to stop at the store to pick up a few things. As I entered the parking lot, I noticed it was idling at about 750 rpm. It slowly built back up to 1100 in about 5 to 7 seconds. I blipped the throttle and the rpms went back to 750, then slowly climbed back up to normal. It did it a few more times as I made my way through the the parking lot.

After 20 min. in the store, I came out and cranked up the bike and everything was back to normal. Numerous blips of the throttle and it settled right back to 1100 rpm. Same result for the few miles home.

I'm not sure what was going on, but I don't like it! :dodgy:
 
Flynrider, my bike experienced similar behavior before the high idle condition set in. Keep an eye on it and let us know if you have further issues.
 
johnf514_imp said:
Flynrider, my bike experienced similar behavior before the high idle condition set in. Keep an eye on it and let us know if you have further issues.
+1. My 2013 idle went low and unstable, including stalling for an hour or so before my high idle problem came in and took over. Issue resolved itself in November and hasn't reappeared.
 
That is so weird. Rolls are you still on original battery? Are you riding it more since November than you were pre November?
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Alright, now I'm confused. On the way home from work tonight, my '13 model started experiencing odd idle behavior.

After about 4 miles I decided to stop at the store to pick up a few things. As I entered the parking lot, I noticed it was idling at about 750 rpm. It slowly built back up to 1100 in about 5 to 7 seconds. I blipped the throttle and the rpms went back to 750, then slowly climbed back up to normal. It did it a few more times as I made my way through the the parking lot.

After 20 min. in the store, I came out and cranked up the bike and everything was back to normal. Numerous blips of the throttle and it settled right back to 1100 rpm. Same result for the few miles home.

I'm not sure what was going on, but I don't like it! :dodgy:
look like the issues that plagues the EX models...except for the stalling...

after dropping did you blip more?
so, it did not stall on you when it was idling around that low 750rpm after a short blip?
 
The ferret_imp said:
That is so weird. Rolls are you still on original battery? Are you riding it more since November than you were pre November?
Yes, it's super weird. I am on the original battery. I like the low battery theory, but I'm not sure mine fits that pattern. During the three months it was acting up, I took several 50-100 mile rides at mostly 80 mph, which is 4700rpm on my 5speed 2013 model. Although it was my Laguna Seca track day that broke the high idle and it hasn't returned. That was lots and lots of full throttle operation and most of the day running the top half of the tach. Thing is, I can't remember when during the track day the problem stopped. Might have even been before I hit the track.

To answer your question, no change in riding patterns or frequency. I think mine was triggered by a slight overfill of oil, but it was very slight, and the correlation is pretty weak. Maybe a slight oil mist got into the mass air flow sensor or IACV or something? Burnt off over time? I really don't know.

The only thing I'm sure of, is when the high idle problem started, I did a bunch of searching which led me to suspect oil in the intake, and sure enough, I did have some oil in the 90 degree drip tube. Oil did not reappear, but high idle lasted for a couple months after that. Related? Maybe. How? Got me.

I hope it doesn't come back. Not a hint of it since Nov track day. Over a thousand miles.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Alright, now I'm confused. On the way home from work tonight, my '13 model started experiencing odd idle behavior.

After about 4 miles I decided to stop at the store to pick up a few things. As I entered the parking lot, I noticed it was idling at about 750 rpm. It slowly built back up to 1100 in about 5 to 7 seconds. I blipped the throttle and the rpms went back to 750, then slowly climbed back up to normal. It did it a few more times as I made my way through the the parking lot.

After 20 min. in the store, I came out and cranked up the bike and everything was back to normal. Numerous blips of the throttle and it settled right back to 1100 rpm. Same result for the few miles home.

I'm not sure what was going on, but I don't like it! :dodgy:
Flynrider, that is the exact same problem myself and a few others have been having for over a year. First time I put it down to fuel/vacuum or something. Was fine for a while then again, and again. Mine always happens after I've been dawdling in traffic, stuck in 2nd or third and just ticking over and riding the clutch... do that for 10 mins and often I'll get the problem. Power cycle the bike and its back to normal. I thought the pre EX/DLX models had avoided this prob, but looks like they may have the same fault.
 
when ppl don't know what the problem, they tend to make the weirdest correlations.
Now its oil overfill?

I've been riding with slightly too much oil on mine since I dunno April or May, no issues.
 
Well we are just trying to talk this out, get a handle on what may be causing the issue.

I like who ever it was's theory that maybe this is related to an old or weak battery, that the bike needs a strong battery for electronic doo dads to function properly. But that is just a guess like 10 other guesses at this point. Until we find a common correlation, and there SHOULD be one, for the same problem to arrise on different continents and different models, so rare and random. We just have to keep thinking, asking questions, search for similarities etc. maybe we can stumble upon the issue.
 
Riko_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Alright, now I'm confused. On the way home from work tonight, my '13 model started experiencing odd idle behavior.

After about 4 miles I decided to stop at the store to pick up a few things. As I entered the parking lot, I noticed it was idling at about 750 rpm. It slowly built back up to 1100 in about 5 to 7 seconds. I blipped the throttle and the rpms went back to 750, then slowly climbed back up to normal. It did it a few more times as I made my way through the the parking lot.

After 20 min. in the store, I came out and cranked up the bike and everything was back to normal. Numerous blips of the throttle and it settled right back to 1100 rpm. Same result for the few miles home.

I'm not sure what was going on, but I don't like it! :dodgy:
look like the issues that plagues the EX models...except for the stalling...

after dropping did you blip more?
so, it did not stall on you when it was idling around that low 750rpm after a short blip?
No, I didn't try to blip the throttle when it was idling at 750 (assumed that would kill it). I just let it slowly climb back up to normal.

As for the battery theory, I'm running a 1.5 yr. old lithium battery. I checked it out when I got home and it's showing a full charge and the same resting voltage that it had when new. Load tested, it was well in the green zone.

My ride to and from work today was uneventful. I tried several times to make the idle drop, with no success. It ran perfectly.

The only maintenance items I'm aware of are the air cleaner. It's a bit overdue for replacement (by the calendar). I'll get to that this weekend and keep watching it.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well we are just trying to talk this out, get a handle on what may be causing the issue.

I like who ever it was's theory that maybe this is related to an old or weak battery, that the bike needs a strong battery for electronic doo dads to function properly. But that is just a guess like 10 other guesses at this point. Until we find a common correlation, and there SHOULD be one, for the same problem to arrise on different continents and different models, so rare and random. We just have to keep thinking, asking questions, search for similarities etc. maybe we can stumble upon the issue.
French board, German board.
Taiwanese Facebook page, Thai Facebook page.

I've read all topics and threads on all of those boards and encountered all kinds of suggestions, none worked.
The only ones that worked, were the ones where I read that they brought the bike in to replace the whole throttle body, so unfortunatelly, there is no easy solition (for the specific stalling problem on the EX models)

Could be the issues on non EX bikes are different and thus may have easy solutions.
But solely talking about the EX issues, there is no solution, yet, but to replace the whole throttle body under warranty.
Flynrider_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Alright, now I'm confused. On the way home from work tonight, my '13 model started experiencing odd idle behavior.

After about 4 miles I decided to stop at the store to pick up a few things. As I entered the parking lot, I noticed it was idling at about 750 rpm. It slowly built back up to 1100 in about 5 to 7 seconds. I blipped the throttle and the rpms went back to 750, then slowly climbed back up to normal. It did it a few more times as I made my way through the the parking lot.

After 20 min. in the store, I came out and cranked up the bike and everything was back to normal. Numerous blips of the throttle and it settled right back to 1100 rpm. Same result for the few miles home.

I'm not sure what was going on, but I don't like it! :dodgy:
look like the issues that plagues the EX models...except for the stalling...

after dropping did you blip more?
so, it did not stall on you when it was idling around that low 750rpm after a short blip?
No, I didn't try to blip the throttle when it was idling at 750 (assumed that would kill it). I just let it slowly climb back up to normal.

As for the battery theory, I'm running a 1.5 yr. old lithium battery. I checked it out when I got home and it's showing a full charge and the same resting voltage that it had when new. Load tested, it was well in the green zone.

My ride to and from work today was uneventful. I tried several times to make the idle drop, with no success. It ran perfectly.

The only maintenance items I'm aware of are the air cleaner. It's a bit overdue for replacement (by the calendar). I'll get to that this weekend and keep watching it.
No, I didn't try to blip the throttle when it was idling at 750 (assumed that would kill it). I just let it slowly climb back up to normal.
ow okay, just out of curiosity I'd like to know if that actually kills the bike.

In a real life situation that would happen in heavy traffic anyway...:-/
 
Riko on all those other boards, how many are actually having the issue? 2 or 3 on each? Dozens? Common problem or isolated.

Wonder what could be different about EX's (which the US will be getting in 17 right?) vs the DLX or the STD for that matter.
 
The million dollar question, whats the difference?

why only on ex models and not on dlx models?

you question how many have the issue?

i can ask exactly the same, how many have the issue on non EX models?

Be aware, this is an active board, every single glitch is reported.
All other boards and online communities don't come near this board.
I would not minimise the number of issues on the EX.

Also, my dealer said he wanted to change the whole throttle body cause that was what helped on a Dutch EX model with the same issue.
So, its certainly not unknown if dealers from different countries in the EU can advise each other about a certain issue.

2-3 total is isolated.
But 5-6 spread over all the continents on less active boards?

I must say, I haven't read about recent new issues...
 
Back
Top