CB1100 Idle speed instability problem

beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Wow, I just found this thread. I've been having the exact same problem for quite a while. Same, when in heavy city traffic, 20-30 mins in. I've been turning the ignition Off/On to re-set it. That worked as the kill switch on Riko's bike.

I had it down to lots of things, all of my own doing, PCv, Flashed ECU, Air intake mods, Cat Free Exhaust... etc...
Quite relived to find it's not down to my tinkering but obv. not happy to have a faulty bike. Esp. as the Warranty is up next month.

I have the same model as the other faulty bikes, EX 2104.

Riko, have you had any trouble since having the throttle body ass. re-placed?

Thinking I should start some sort of warranty claim before it runs out.
since the replacement none at all

bring it to the dealers and show him my vid


than ask him to fix it under warrenty and to make an official complaint.

There have been complaints made in Thailand, Taiwan, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland.

Honda can perhaps find the issue if everybody turns in their throttle bodies for inspection and hopefully find the root scource, wich finally can result in a recall for better parts.

Dealers can be asked by Honda to bring in the parts they changed to check if the dealer didnt replace anything they shouldn't based on a spotchecks.
That way Honda can compare similar cases and inventorise the cases.
According to the dealers they have 6 months to do so, afterwards those parts are destroyed because they obviously can't keep the parts.

You can imagine if Honda gets a lot of these expensive replacements (whole throttle body is worth more than 2600 euro's) the whole process will go faster!
So make it official and don't do custom repairs.

As far as possible solutions, a whole throttle body replacement is the ONLY 'solution' to this problem.
I base this from experiences read on the 2 Asian facebook pages of our bike, Thailand and Taiwan.
Also some suggestions on the French and German boards did not work such as disconnecting the battery for a short or long period.

Ps are you on the english board as well?
How come all those members are the most passive bunch I've seen?
http://www.cb1100.co.uk/index.php?topic=563.new#new
It makes no difference if you share something on that board...
 
Riko_imp said:
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Wow, I just found this thread. I've been having the exact same problem for quite a while. Same, when in heavy city traffic, 20-30 mins in. I've been turning the ignition Off/On to re-set it. That worked as the kill switch on Riko's bike.

I had it down to lots of things, all of my own doing, PCv, Flashed ECU, Air intake mods, Cat Free Exhaust... etc...
Quite relived to find it's not down to my tinkering but obv. not happy to have a faulty bike. Esp. as the Warranty is up next month.

I have the same model as the other faulty bikes, EX 2104.

Riko, have you had any trouble since having the throttle body ass. re-placed?

Thinking I should start some sort of warranty claim before it runs out.
since the replacement none at all

bring it to the dealers and show him my vid


than ask him to fix it under warrenty and to make an official complaint.

There have been complaints made in Thailand, Taiwan, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland.

Honda can perhaps find the issue if everybody turns in their throttle bodies for inspection and hopefully find the root scource, wich finally can result in a recall for better parts.

Dealers can be asked by Honda to bring in the parts they changed to check if the dealer didnt replace anything they shouldn't based on a spotchecks.
That way Honda can compare similar cases and inventorise the cases.
According to the dealers they have 6 months to do so, afterwards those parts are destroyed because they obviously can't keep the parts.

You can imagine if Honda gets a lot of these expensive replacements (whole throttle body is worth more than 2600 euro's) the whole process will go faster!
So make it official and don't do custom repairs.

As far as possible solutions, a whole throttle body replacement is the ONLY 'solution' to this problem.
I base this from experiences read on the 2 Asian facebook pages of our bike, Thailand and Taiwan.
Also some suggestions on the French and German boards did not work such as disconnecting the battery for a short or long period.

Ps are you on the english board as well?
How come all those members are the most passive bunch I've seen?
http://www.cb1100.co.uk/index.php?topic=563.new#new
It makes no difference if you share something on that board...
The English forum's passivity is one of the great mysteries of the universe.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Wow, I just found this thread. I've been having the exact same problem for quite a while. Same, when in heavy city traffic, 20-30 mins in. I've been turning the ignition Off/On to re-set it. That worked as the kill switch on Riko's bike.

I had it down to lots of things, all of my own doing, PCv, Flashed ECU, Air intake mods, Cat Free Exhaust... etc...
Quite relived to find it's not down to my tinkering but obv. not happy to have a faulty bike. Esp. as the Warranty is up next month.

I have the same model as the other faulty bikes, EX 2104.

Riko, have you had any trouble since having the throttle body ass. re-placed?

Thinking I should start some sort of warranty claim before it runs out.
The reflashed ECU will void your warranty. If you reflash it to stock before going to the dealer you might be all right with that. I am uncertain as to how the removal of the catalytic converter and other modifications might affect the warranty, but the reflash will definitely have an adverse impact in that respect.

I know of some riders who keep a second ECU around (purchased on eBay or similar) to install to meet warranty or regulatory requirements.

On the other hand, if you have close relationship with your dealer you may be able to find a way around all those modifications.
The reflashed ECU will void your warranty. If you reflash it to stock before going to the dealer you might be all right with that. I am uncertain as to how the removal of the catalytic converter and other modifications might affect the warranty, but the reflash will definitely have an adverse impact in that respect.

I know of some riders who keep a second ECU around (purchased on eBay or similar) to install to meet warranty or regulatory requirements.

On the other hand, if you have close relationship with your dealer you may be able to find a way around all those modifications.
I do have a good relationship with the dealer, so hoping that will see me thru.
As it's a common problem and a recognised fault... even if un-known fault, I'm hoping that the mods won't matter. If it were just me then they'd have a fair point, I'd say.
Riko_imp said:
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Wow, I just found this thread. I've been having the exact same problem for quite a while. Same, when in heavy city traffic, 20-30 mins in. I've been turning the ignition Off/On to re-set it. That worked as the kill switch on Riko's bike.

I had it down to lots of things, all of my own doing, PCv, Flashed ECU, Air intake mods, Cat Free Exhaust... etc...
Quite relived to find it's not down to my tinkering but obv. not happy to have a faulty bike. Esp. as the Warranty is up next month.

I have the same model as the other faulty bikes, EX 2104.

Riko, have you had any trouble since having the throttle body ass. re-placed?

Thinking I should start some sort of warranty claim before it runs out.
since the replacement none at all

bring it to the dealers and show him my vid


than ask him to fix it under warrenty and to make an official complaint.

There have been complaints made in Thailand, Taiwan, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland.

Honda can perhaps find the issue if everybody turns in their throttle bodies for inspection and hopefully find the root scource, wich finally can result in a recall for better parts.

Dealers can be asked by Honda to bring in the parts they changed to check if the dealer didnt replace anything they shouldn't based on a spotchecks.
That way Honda can compare similar cases and inventorise the cases.
According to the dealers they have 6 months to do so, afterwards those parts are destroyed because they obviously can't keep the parts.

You can imagine if Honda gets a lot of these expensive replacements (whole throttle body is worth more than 2600 euro's) the whole process will go faster!
So make it official and don't do custom repairs.

As far as possible solutions, a whole throttle body replacement is the ONLY 'solution' to this problem.
I base this from experiences read on the 2 Asian facebook pages of our bike, Thailand and Taiwan.
Also some suggestions on the French and German boards did not work such as disconnecting the battery for a short or long period.

Ps are you on the english board as well?
How come all those members are the most passive bunch I've seen?
http://www.cb1100.co.uk/index.php?topic=563.new#new
It makes no difference if you share something on that board...
since the replacement none at all

bring it to the dealers and show him my vid


than ask him to fix it under warrenty and to make an official complaint.

There have been complaints made in Thailand, Taiwan, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland.

Honda can perhaps find the issue if everybody turns in their throttle bodies for inspection and hopefully find the root scource, wich finally can result in a recall for better parts.

Dealers can be asked by Honda to bring in the parts they changed to check if the dealer didnt replace anything they shouldn't based on a spotchecks.
That way Honda can compare similar cases and inventorise the cases.
According to the dealers they have 6 months to do so, afterwards those parts are destroyed because they obviously can't keep the parts.

You can imagine if Honda gets a lot of these expensive replacements (whole throttle body is worth more than 2600 euro's) the whole process will go faster!
So make it official and don't do custom repairs.

As far as possible solutions, a whole throttle body replacement is the ONLY 'solution' to this problem.
I base this from experiences read on the 2 Asian facebook pages of our bike, Thailand and Taiwan.
Also some suggestions on the French and German boards did not work such as disconnecting the battery for a short or long period.

Ps are you on the english board as well?
How come all those members are the most passive bunch I've seen?
http://www.cb1100.co.uk/index.php?topic=563.new#new
It makes no difference if you share something on that board...
Thanks for that Riko,

I started a warranty claim yesterday, and I'll forward your vid and findings.
Defo. something a miss and they need to sort it out...
Cormanus_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Wow, I just found this thread. I've been having the exact same problem for quite a while. Same, when in heavy city traffic, 20-30 mins in. I've been turning the ignition Off/On to re-set it. That worked as the kill switch on Riko's bike.

I had it down to lots of things, all of my own doing, PCv, Flashed ECU, Air intake mods, Cat Free Exhaust... etc...
Quite relived to find it's not down to my tinkering but obv. not happy to have a faulty bike. Esp. as the Warranty is up next month.

I have the same model as the other faulty bikes, EX 2104.

Riko, have you had any trouble since having the throttle body ass. re-placed?

Thinking I should start some sort of warranty claim before it runs out.
since the replacement none at all

bring it to the dealers and show him my vid


than ask him to fix it under warrenty and to make an official complaint.

There have been complaints made in Thailand, Taiwan, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland.

Honda can perhaps find the issue if everybody turns in their throttle bodies for inspection and hopefully find the root scource, wich finally can result in a recall for better parts.

Dealers can be asked by Honda to bring in the parts they changed to check if the dealer didnt replace anything they shouldn't based on a spotchecks.
That way Honda can compare similar cases and inventorise the cases.
According to the dealers they have 6 months to do so, afterwards those parts are destroyed because they obviously can't keep the parts.

You can imagine if Honda gets a lot of these expensive replacements (whole throttle body is worth more than 2600 euro's) the whole process will go faster!
So make it official and don't do custom repairs.

As far as possible solutions, a whole throttle body replacement is the ONLY 'solution' to this problem.
I base this from experiences read on the 2 Asian facebook pages of our bike, Thailand and Taiwan.
Also some suggestions on the French and German boards did not work such as disconnecting the battery for a short or long period.

Ps are you on the english board as well?
How come all those members are the most passive bunch I've seen?
http://www.cb1100.co.uk/index.php?topic=563.new#new
It makes no difference if you share something on that board...
The English forum's passivity is one of the great mysteries of the universe.
The English forum's passivity is one of the great mysteries of the universe.
Riko, I am, or was, on the British Forum but every time I checked or posted there was radio silence... so, stopped checking in. This forum is great and I prefer the world wide nature of it. Best bike forum I've ever been on.

Cormanus, are you still in the UK?
 
Cormanus lives in Australia. So does Pterodactyl. Or is Cormanus on vacation?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Wow, I just found this thread. I've been having the exact same problem for quite a while. Same, when in heavy city traffic, 20-30 mins in. I've been turning the ignition Off/On to re-set it. That worked as the kill switch on Riko's bike.

I had it down to lots of things, all of my own doing, PCv, Flashed ECU, Air intake mods, Cat Free Exhaust... etc...
Quite relived to find it's not down to my tinkering but obv. not happy to have a faulty bike. Esp. as the Warranty is up next month.

I have the same model as the other faulty bikes, EX 2104.

Riko, have you had any trouble since having the throttle body ass. re-placed?

Thinking I should start some sort of warranty claim before it runs out.
since the replacement none at all

bring it to the dealers and show him my vid


than ask him to fix it under warrenty and to make an official complaint.

There have been complaints made in Thailand, Taiwan, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland.

Honda can perhaps find the issue if everybody turns in their throttle bodies for inspection and hopefully find the root scource, wich finally can result in a recall for better parts.

Dealers can be asked by Honda to bring in the parts they changed to check if the dealer didnt replace anything they shouldn't based on a spotchecks.
That way Honda can compare similar cases and inventorise the cases.
According to the dealers they have 6 months to do so, afterwards those parts are destroyed because they obviously can't keep the parts.

You can imagine if Honda gets a lot of these expensive replacements (whole throttle body is worth more than 2600 euro's) the whole process will go faster!
So make it official and don't do custom repairs.

As far as possible solutions, a whole throttle body replacement is the ONLY 'solution' to this problem.
I base this from experiences read on the 2 Asian facebook pages of our bike, Thailand and Taiwan.
Also some suggestions on the French and German boards did not work such as disconnecting the battery for a short or long period.

Ps are you on the english board as well?
How come all those members are the most passive bunch I've seen?
http://www.cb1100.co.uk/index.php?topic=563.new#new
It makes no difference if you share something on that board...
The English forum's passivity is one of the great mysteries of the universe.
A gentleman never talks about his amours. ;)
 
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Wow, I just found this thread. I've been having the exact same problem for quite a while. Same, when in heavy city traffic, 20-30 mins in. I've been turning the ignition Off/On to re-set it. That worked as the kill switch on Riko's bike.

I had it down to lots of things, all of my own doing, PCv, Flashed ECU, Air intake mods, Cat Free Exhaust... etc...
Quite relived to find it's not down to my tinkering but obv. not happy to have a faulty bike. Esp. as the Warranty is up next month.

I have the same model as the other faulty bikes, EX 2104.

Riko, have you had any trouble since having the throttle body ass. re-placed?

Thinking I should start some sort of warranty claim before it runs out.
The reflashed ECU will void your warranty. If you reflash it to stock before going to the dealer you might be all right with that. I am uncertain as to how the removal of the catalytic converter and other modifications might affect the warranty, but the reflash will definitely have an adverse impact in that respect.

I know of some riders who keep a second ECU around (purchased on eBay or similar) to install to meet warranty or regulatory requirements.

On the other hand, if you have close relationship with your dealer you may be able to find a way around all those modifications.
The reflashed ECU will void your warranty. If you reflash it to stock before going to the dealer you might be all right with that. I am uncertain as to how the removal of the catalytic converter and other modifications might affect the warranty, but the reflash will definitely have an adverse impact in that respect.

I know of some riders who keep a second ECU around (purchased on eBay or similar) to install to meet warranty or regulatory requirements.

On the other hand, if you have close relationship with your dealer you may be able to find a way around all those modifications.
I do have a good relationship with the dealer, so hoping that will see me thru.
As it's a common problem and a recognised fault... even if un-known fault, I'm hoping that the mods won't matter. If it were just me then they'd have a fair point, I'd say.
Riko_imp said:
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Wow, I just found this thread. I've been having the exact same problem for quite a while. Same, when in heavy city traffic, 20-30 mins in. I've been turning the ignition Off/On to re-set it. That worked as the kill switch on Riko's bike.

I had it down to lots of things, all of my own doing, PCv, Flashed ECU, Air intake mods, Cat Free Exhaust... etc...
Quite relived to find it's not down to my tinkering but obv. not happy to have a faulty bike. Esp. as the Warranty is up next month.

I have the same model as the other faulty bikes, EX 2104.

Riko, have you had any trouble since having the throttle body ass. re-placed?

Thinking I should start some sort of warranty claim before it runs out.
since the replacement none at all

bring it to the dealers and show him my vid


than ask him to fix it under warrenty and to make an official complaint.

There have been complaints made in Thailand, Taiwan, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland.

Honda can perhaps find the issue if everybody turns in their throttle bodies for inspection and hopefully find the root scource, wich finally can result in a recall for better parts.

Dealers can be asked by Honda to bring in the parts they changed to check if the dealer didnt replace anything they shouldn't based on a spotchecks.
That way Honda can compare similar cases and inventorise the cases.
According to the dealers they have 6 months to do so, afterwards those parts are destroyed because they obviously can't keep the parts.

You can imagine if Honda gets a lot of these expensive replacements (whole throttle body is worth more than 2600 euro's) the whole process will go faster!
So make it official and don't do custom repairs.

As far as possible solutions, a whole throttle body replacement is the ONLY 'solution' to this problem.
I base this from experiences read on the 2 Asian facebook pages of our bike, Thailand and Taiwan.
Also some suggestions on the French and German boards did not work such as disconnecting the battery for a short or long period.

Ps are you on the english board as well?
How come all those members are the most passive bunch I've seen?
http://www.cb1100.co.uk/index.php?topic=563.new#new
It makes no difference if you share something on that board...
since the replacement none at all

bring it to the dealers and show him my vid


than ask him to fix it under warrenty and to make an official complaint.

There have been complaints made in Thailand, Taiwan, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland.

Honda can perhaps find the issue if everybody turns in their throttle bodies for inspection and hopefully find the root scource, wich finally can result in a recall for better parts.

Dealers can be asked by Honda to bring in the parts they changed to check if the dealer didnt replace anything they shouldn't based on a spotchecks.
That way Honda can compare similar cases and inventorise the cases.
According to the dealers they have 6 months to do so, afterwards those parts are destroyed because they obviously can't keep the parts.

You can imagine if Honda gets a lot of these expensive replacements (whole throttle body is worth more than 2600 euro's) the whole process will go faster!
So make it official and don't do custom repairs.

As far as possible solutions, a whole throttle body replacement is the ONLY 'solution' to this problem.
I base this from experiences read on the 2 Asian facebook pages of our bike, Thailand and Taiwan.
Also some suggestions on the French and German boards did not work such as disconnecting the battery for a short or long period.

Ps are you on the english board as well?
How come all those members are the most passive bunch I've seen?
http://www.cb1100.co.uk/index.php?topic=563.new#new
It makes no difference if you share something on that board...
Thanks for that Riko,

I started a warranty claim yesterday, and I'll forward your vid and findings.
Defo. something a miss and they need to sort it out...
Cormanus_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Wow, I just found this thread. I've been having the exact same problem for quite a while. Same, when in heavy city traffic, 20-30 mins in. I've been turning the ignition Off/On to re-set it. That worked as the kill switch on Riko's bike.

I had it down to lots of things, all of my own doing, PCv, Flashed ECU, Air intake mods, Cat Free Exhaust... etc...
Quite relived to find it's not down to my tinkering but obv. not happy to have a faulty bike. Esp. as the Warranty is up next month.

I have the same model as the other faulty bikes, EX 2104.

Riko, have you had any trouble since having the throttle body ass. re-placed?

Thinking I should start some sort of warranty claim before it runs out.
since the replacement none at all

bring it to the dealers and show him my vid


than ask him to fix it under warrenty and to make an official complaint.

There have been complaints made in Thailand, Taiwan, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland.

Honda can perhaps find the issue if everybody turns in their throttle bodies for inspection and hopefully find the root scource, wich finally can result in a recall for better parts.

Dealers can be asked by Honda to bring in the parts they changed to check if the dealer didnt replace anything they shouldn't based on a spotchecks.
That way Honda can compare similar cases and inventorise the cases.
According to the dealers they have 6 months to do so, afterwards those parts are destroyed because they obviously can't keep the parts.

You can imagine if Honda gets a lot of these expensive replacements (whole throttle body is worth more than 2600 euro's) the whole process will go faster!
So make it official and don't do custom repairs.

As far as possible solutions, a whole throttle body replacement is the ONLY 'solution' to this problem.
I base this from experiences read on the 2 Asian facebook pages of our bike, Thailand and Taiwan.
Also some suggestions on the French and German boards did not work such as disconnecting the battery for a short or long period.

Ps are you on the english board as well?
How come all those members are the most passive bunch I've seen?
http://www.cb1100.co.uk/index.php?topic=563.new#new
It makes no difference if you share something on that board...
The English forum's passivity is one of the great mysteries of the universe.
The English forum's passivity is one of the great mysteries of the universe.
Riko, I am, or was, on the British Forum but every time I checked or posted there was radio silence... so, stopped checking in. This forum is great and I prefer the world wide nature of it. Best bike forum I've ever been on.

Cormanus, are you still in the UK?
Yes. Head home on Friday.
Django_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Wow, I just found this thread. I've been having the exact same problem for quite a while. Same, when in heavy city traffic, 20-30 mins in. I've been turning the ignition Off/On to re-set it. That worked as the kill switch on Riko's bike.

I had it down to lots of things, all of my own doing, PCv, Flashed ECU, Air intake mods, Cat Free Exhaust... etc...
Quite relived to find it's not down to my tinkering but obv. not happy to have a faulty bike. Esp. as the Warranty is up next month.

I have the same model as the other faulty bikes, EX 2104.

Riko, have you had any trouble since having the throttle body ass. re-placed?

Thinking I should start some sort of warranty claim before it runs out.
since the replacement none at all

bring it to the dealers and show him my vid


than ask him to fix it under warrenty and to make an official complaint.

There have been complaints made in Thailand, Taiwan, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland.

Honda can perhaps find the issue if everybody turns in their throttle bodies for inspection and hopefully find the root scource, wich finally can result in a recall for better parts.

Dealers can be asked by Honda to bring in the parts they changed to check if the dealer didnt replace anything they shouldn't based on a spotchecks.
That way Honda can compare similar cases and inventorise the cases.
According to the dealers they have 6 months to do so, afterwards those parts are destroyed because they obviously can't keep the parts.

You can imagine if Honda gets a lot of these expensive replacements (whole throttle body is worth more than 2600 euro's) the whole process will go faster!
So make it official and don't do custom repairs.

As far as possible solutions, a whole throttle body replacement is the ONLY 'solution' to this problem.
I base this from experiences read on the 2 Asian facebook pages of our bike, Thailand and Taiwan.
Also some suggestions on the French and German boards did not work such as disconnecting the battery for a short or long period.

Ps are you on the english board as well?
How come all those members are the most passive bunch I've seen?
http://www.cb1100.co.uk/index.php?topic=563.new#new
It makes no difference if you share something on that board...
The English forum's passivity is one of the great mysteries of the universe.
A gentleman never talks about his amours. ;)
A gentleman never talks about his amours. ;)
From which, Django, you can deduce that I'm either not a gentleman or the English forum is not one of my amours or, both. :D
 
I've just heard back from the Honda dealer about this issue. Apparently a bulletin went out to dealers about this problem a couple of weeks ago and they are planning to install new mapping to the ECU. A disk is expected at the dealer in a week or so. Apparently, the stepping motor is shutting down too quickly or by too much, causing a low/erratic tick over.

I'm not sure what that exactly means as I've just got off the phone to them. I'll have a look in the manual and see if that sheds a little light on it...
 
Possibly, if it's a ECU software thing then you'd think that all the Twin Exhaust, EX models of that age would have it. They probably have but unless you run your bike in the city then it most likely won't effect you.

I've had my ECU re-flashed by Guhl Motors. I'm wondering what effect writing the new mapping to the ECU by the Honda dealer will have on the data written on there at the re-flash.

Might contact Guhl Motors and see if they have any idea...
 
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Possibly, if it's a ECU software thing then you'd think that all the Twin Exhaust, EX models of that age would have it. They probably have but unless you run your bike in the city then it most likely won't effect you.

I've had my ECU re-flashed by Guhl Motors. I'm wondering what effect writing the new mapping to the ECU by the Honda dealer will have on the data written on there at the re-flash.

Might contact Guhl Motors and see if they have any idea...
It will completely overwrite it. Your reflash will be gone and you will be back to the stock OEM mapping, with whatever changes Honda made. I believe Don will reflash the thing for you again but if you have had it flashed, I doubt whatever Honda is going to do will be of any additional benefit.

That kind of work is usually done online. The tech plugs your bike into a computer, which is connected to the Web, and it checks for the latest firmware and programming for your VIN. If there's a mismatch it'll update your ECU to the latest version. The tech will probably never even see what is done, nor have any idea of specifics.
 
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Possibly, if it's a ECU software thing then you'd think that all the Twin Exhaust, EX models of that age would have it. They probably have but unless you run your bike in the city then it most likely won't effect you.

I've had my ECU re-flashed by Guhl Motors. I'm wondering what effect writing the new mapping to the ECU by the Honda dealer will have on the data written on there at the re-flash.

Might contact Guhl Motors and see if they have any idea...
dunno if your red the EX problems in the topic mainly from Asian memmbers and myself (Europe & Asia), but the whole idle issue manifests itself ONLY in city riding....you're saying the opposite
 



I had the problem after about riding 5000km.

Since they replaced the whole throttle body I've ridden more than 6000km and no issues at all so far...
 
It's been a while since I've had time to add any new posts (although I have kept up with reading other posts). I know this is going to sound unbelievable, but my bike appears to have fixed itself! It's been about 1,500 miles since the uneven idling condition has occurred, and I have no logical explanation why. I have subjected the bike to identical riding conditions (stop & go city), but it now runs perfect, returning to a nice (approximate) 1,050 RPM at each and every stop light. I was planning to inspect the Idle Air Control Valve for possible sticking, or a bad electrical connection, but I am going to follow my rule of thumb of "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it". I sure hope my posting about this "miraculous" cure won't backfire on me and the problem comes back the next time I ride; I'll add a new post if it does.
 
I haven't kept up my posts to this thread because there is another thread on this exact same topic that I've been updating. To keep it short: My idle problem (1,500 RPM) returned, and stayed. Disconnecting the Engine Oil Temperature (EOT) sensor completely cured the high idle speed, but caused difficult cold engine starting, and the check engine and hot engine warning lights came on. I replaced the EOT sensor with a new one, but this did nothing to cure the problem. I tried disconnecting the battery (for 10 minutes) to see if this would reset the computer, but this didn't help either. I replaced the battery today (because it failed to restart my bike in an intersection that I turned the motor off in because I was tired of the 1,500 RPM idle), and magically my bike is running perfectly again. I only rode it for about 10 miles (at the low speeds / stop-and-go conditions that usually cause the problem), because it was beginning to rain, but it returned to a nice 1,050 RPM idle at every stop. I am NOT saying the new battery cured the problem because the high / low RPM condition has come and gone before, but I'll keep this thread posted if it returns again.
 
Hey Dave,
How are you getting on after fitting your new battery?

Just a thought out loud but I've been thinking about your new battery solution. Quite a few people have been running their bikes for a year or so without issue and then more seem to be getting the problem after a year or two. Poss. As their battery's start to fade? Also, we've all found that our bikes only seem to start having problems after we've been slow riding thru town, usually two up myself, running the bike at low revs. Dawdling.
If the alternator isn't making much power at those RPM's, then it could be low power effecting the issue.
I was running a lot of powered clothing on my bike the other day and at low revs the battery flattened. After bumping it I kept the revs well up and the battery came back up.
I also experienced the low idle prob at the same time as the battery wasn't charging.
All just thinking out load but you might be on to something.
 
Back
Top