CB1100 Idle speed instability problem

Glad I saw this thread! Thanks for posting. I had this happen to me yesterday in downtown LA on my '14 Standard. The idle suddenly dropped to around 500 rpm and felt like it was going to stall. I initially thought the loss of power was due to a possible overheating but it sounds like I might have the same problem as the OP. I was very surprised as I've never had any problem with the bike other than a failed valve cover gasket and it doesn't even have 8K on it yet. The only thing I have changed is that I recently switched to all synthetic.

I had to keep the throttle quarter open at stops or slowdowns to keep it at normal idle. I got it home and let it sit for a few hours and then took it for a quick ride and it seemed to be alright. But regardless, I'm taking it to the dealer asap to get it looked at. I'm just glad it happened on a city street as opposed to the Freeway!
 
Larider,

If you are under warranty, don't wait. The IACV isn't too expensive, but that whole throttle body assm. is.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Larider,

If you are under warranty, don't wait. The IACV isn't too expensive, but that whole throttle body assm. is.
Thankfully the warranty is still in effect. I'm going to drop by the dealership today. I'll let you guys know how it goes and I appreciate the info as I can give a heads up to my mechanic for possible causes.
 
LARIDER_imp said:
Glad I saw this thread! Thanks for posting. I had this happen to me yesterday in downtown LA on my '14 Standard. The idle suddenly dropped to around 500 rpm and felt like it was going to stall. I initially thought the loss of power was due to a possible overheating but it sounds like I might have the same problem as the OP. I was very surprised as I've never had any problem with the bike other than a failed valve cover gasket and it doesn't even have 8K on it yet. The only thing I have changed is that I recently switched to all synthetic.

I had to keep the throttle quarter open at stops or slowdowns to keep it at normal idle. I got it home and let it sit for a few hours and then took it for a quick ride and it seemed to be alright. But regardless, I'm taking it to the dealer asap to get it looked at. I'm just glad it happened on a city street as opposed to the Freeway!
First of all, I apologise to forum members who have seen this before but LA may not have so it is imperative that he is made aware. Most of the problems that the CB1100 suffers, as opposed to ordinary motorcycles, are definitely the result of poor oil choices. As a matter of urgency I would suggest an immediate change to Dactyl (Intergalactic) Corporation's HUBRIS Omni Grade Motorcycle oil.

HUBRIS is a fully synthetic Omni Grade Motorcycle Oil. It is especially formulated for the CB1100. It is, despite being synthetic, a fully natural, grass fed, cholesterol and gluten free product. It is approved by the UNHCMO*, the IPCC and the CIA. It is guaranteed to eradicate and/or prevent engine noises, rattling, sputtering and vibration, frame rot, valve clearance issues, suspension chatter, brake binding, steering oscillatiions, hard seat syndrome (HSS) and other common CB maladies. A drop or two applied to the ECM will remove all limiters and result in massive increases in power and torque. It also may be effacious in the prevention of high side, low side and other rider induced moments. The 2016 improved formulation may, nay will, improve hill climb performance and, applied externally at bedtime, vastly improve the appearance of ugly oil coolers, licence plate brackets, bronzed headers and catalytic converters, throttle body blanks and side panels. It is rumoured that a certain very successful veteran MotoGP racer uses HUBRIS. To obtain Dr Dactyl's HUBRIS oil please send to Dr Dactyl your credit card details by Email. Be quick, it is in very short supply.

Cheers

* the United Nations High Commission for Motorcycle Oils.
 
Dear Dr Dactyl,

I've just been reading (elsewhere on this august forum) about expensive suspension modification. Can you tell me what would happen if I replaced my fork oil with Dactyl HUBRIS Omnigrade?

Yours etc

Cheapskate
 
This is a currently under study by the research and development department. Funding is being sought from large corporations that have shown a very active interest in the blue sky commercial potential of this project. Being an old mate, I might be able to get you in on the ground floor. PM bank account details and you will be looked after.

Cheers
 
You two are killing me :rofl:
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
LARIDER_imp said:
Glad I saw this thread! Thanks for posting. I had this happen to me yesterday in downtown LA on my '14 Standard. The idle suddenly dropped to around 500 rpm and felt like it was going to stall. I initially thought the loss of power was due to a possible overheating but it sounds like I might have the same problem as the OP. I was very surprised as I've never had any problem with the bike other than a failed valve cover gasket and it doesn't even have 8K on it yet. The only thing I have changed is that I recently switched to all synthetic.

I had to keep the throttle quarter open at stops or slowdowns to keep it at normal idle. I got it home and let it sit for a few hours and then took it for a quick ride and it seemed to be alright. But regardless, I'm taking it to the dealer asap to get it looked at. I'm just glad it happened on a city street as opposed to the Freeway!
First of all, I apologise to forum members who have seen this before but LA may not have so it is imperative that he is made aware. Most of the problems that the CB1100 suffers, as opposed to ordinary motorcycles, are definitely the result of poor oil choices. As a matter of urgency I would suggest an immediate change to Dactyl (Intergalactic) Corporation's HUBRIS Omni Grade Motorcycle oil.

HUBRIS is a fully synthetic Omni Grade Motorcycle Oil. It is especially formulated for the CB1100. It is, despite being synthetic, a fully natural, grass fed, cholesterol and gluten free product. It is approved by the UNHCMO*, the IPCC and the CIA. It is guaranteed to eradicate and/or prevent engine noises, rattling, sputtering and vibration, frame rot, valve clearance issues, suspension chatter, brake binding, steering oscillatiions, hard seat syndrome (HSS) and other common CB maladies. A drop or two applied to the ECM will remove all limiters and result in massive increases in power and torque. It also may be effacious in the prevention of high side, low side and other rider induced moments. The 2016 improved formulation may, nay will, improve hill climb performance and, applied externally at bedtime, vastly improve the appearance of ugly oil coolers, licence plate brackets, bronzed headers and catalytic converters, throttle body blanks and side panels. It is rumoured that a certain very successful veteran MotoGP racer uses HUBRIS. To obtain Dr Dactyl's HUBRIS oil please send to Dr Dactyl your credit card details by Email. Be quick, it is in very short supply.

Cheers

* the United Nations High Commission for Motorcycle Oils.
First of all, I apologise to forum members who have seen this before but LA may not have so it is imperative that he is made aware. Most of the problems that the CB1100 suffers, as opposed to ordinary motorcycles, are definitely the result of poor oil choices. As a matter of urgency I would suggest an immediate change to Dactyl (Intergalactic) Corporation's HUBRIS Omni Grade Motorcycle oil.

HUBRIS is a fully synthetic Omni Grade Motorcycle Oil. It is especially formulated for the CB1100. It is, despite being synthetic, a fully natural, grass fed, cholesterol and gluten free product. It is approved by the UNHCMO*, the IPCC and the CIA. It is guaranteed to eradicate and/or prevent engine noises, rattling, sputtering and vibration, frame rot, valve clearance issues, suspension chatter, brake binding, steering oscillatiions, hard seat syndrome (HSS) and other common CB maladies. A drop or two applied to the ECM will remove all limiters and result in massive increases in power and torque. It also may be effacious in the prevention of high side, low side and other rider induced moments. The 2016 improved formulation may, nay will, improve hill climb performance and, applied externally at bedtime, vastly improve the appearance of ugly oil coolers, licence plate brackets, bronzed headers and catalytic converters, throttle body blanks and side panels. It is rumoured that a certain very successful veteran MotoGP racer uses HUBRIS. To obtain Dr Dactyl's HUBRIS oil please send to Dr Dactyl your credit card details by Email. Be quick, it is in very short supply.

Cheers

* the United Nations High Commission for Motorcycle Oils.
LOL. :clap:




It appears that whatever the problem was went away. Me and the mechanic are chalking it up to most likely a bad batch of gas. Of course I'll be vigilant in the future but the bike rode fine today. One of the local gas stations near me recently got busted for selling diluted bad gas and at least 8 cars were damaged. I wouldn't be surprised if a few others out there are doing it as well.

Eagle Rock Gas Station Sold Bad Gas, Ruined At Least Eight Cars

Plus Cali gas is generally well known for excelling at sucking. When I first heard someone mention winter blend years ago, I thought they were talking about a new Sam Adams beer.

But good to know about Hubris! I could have taken out a few city blocks if the oil in my bike exploded! ;)
 
Thread starter
One CB1100 (14'CB1100EX) owner suffers idle speed drop issue for several months; YESTERDAY he sent his bike to HONDA dealer, and dealer's technician diagnosed with computer, no any error code was found (as I mentioned before that problem will disappear temporarily if doing ignition off/on) ; Dealer said that so far no solution for this kind of problem, HONDA Japan is aware this issue, and trying find the root cause and solution.

It seems that the throttle valve assy. or idle speed motor were not the root causes!!!???
 
Please keep us updated on what Honda says if you can.
 
ericlo69_imp said:
One CB1100 (14'CB1100EX) owner suffers idle speed drop issue for several months; YESTERDAY he sent his bike to HONDA dealer, and dealer's technician diagnosed with computer, no any error code was found (as I mentioned before that problem will disappear temporarily if doing ignition off/on) ; Dealer said that so far no solution for this kind of problem, HONDA Japan is aware this issue, and trying find the root cause and solution.

It seems that the throttle valve assy. or idle speed motor were not the root causes!!!???
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping my problem was temporary but I'm still interested just in case. Please keep us up to date.
 
okay, just did a 30 min. ride and I have this issue, it sucks! especially in the city :@

the bike died several times at the end.

Gonna try the TPS reset procedure and hope this will fix it...

Bike is a brand new 2014 EX from Belgium. Only about 4400 miles on it.
 
okay, the problem just happened again after my reset.

When the problem occured, I did the reset again, wich did solve it, but I suspect its a matter of time untill it happens again...

I am now in the process of emailing the dealer I bought the bike from.
 
Thread starter
Update:
Here in Taiwan, so far there is no any further feedback from HONDA Japan; we are encouraging CB1100 owners if your bike has this kind of problem, please send the email to “HONDA Japan Customer Service” to state the bike’s problem and your concerns, let HONDA Japan pay attention this issue seriously, find the root cause and solution quickly. Because this problem is related to safety, and the occurrence probability is pretty high.
 
In the U.S. You can go to nhtsa.gov and file a report for safety related issues. Maybe other countries have a similar opportunity to report vehicle safety issues.
 
I think in europe its regulated on the european level and not on state level, but as of now i am still searching

just did some riding and the stalling happens even faster now, after 15 min. of city riding, not with even that much stop and go since I rode outside of rush hour.

Because all of this I am considering selling this bike if there isnt a clear solution, this is unacceptable and i am sad this is actually happening to me. :-/

Most of all I didnt expect such a bad experience from a Honda.
I might sound like I'm overacting, but its the way I feel about the bike at this moment, I can not trust it if I want to go riding.

My technician doesnt know what it is, based on my brief description only I must say.
And I am waiting for the respons of the dealer I bought it from.
I also mailed the closest Honda dealer for a second opinion.

The few cases I found, here and on the french forum, didn't provide a clear answer about the root, let alone what the solution is.
Same on the Taiwanese facebook where there are videos of the issue.

All this is not very reassuring.

Tomorrow I will be riding from Ghent to Brussels for some job tests, and I'm curious to see how the bike will behave on that trip and at the same time scared for the hell that is called Brussels traffic.
Stalling all the time in that city....grrr I dont wanna think about it.

To be continued..
 
Back
Top