CB1100 Idle speed instability problem

I am not questioning that the IACV was sticking, and lubricating it cured the problem. I just want to share what I observed when I replaced my IACV: The original (defective) IACV did not show any signs of sticking in the aluminum throttle body assembly. There were no signs of galling, or abrasion, and there were no signs of any dirt or anything else that could have caused the IACV to stick. I performed side-by-side tests activating and deactivating the old and new IACVs side-by-side, and they both functioned identically. My conclusion is that the defective IACV that I replaced had an internal, intermittent short that came and went randomly. I applied a very light coat of grease to the new IACV and have never experienced the problem again. I would NEVER go through all the work to remove an IACV just to lubricate it and reinstall it if there was no hard evidence that it was sticking - once you have the old one out just replace it with a new one, unless you have nothing better to do with an entire day.
 
Just had an idea Dave, do you think it is possible that the brass center part of the piston is sintered?
Sintered bronze is porous, is used as bearings for starter motors and the pores can/should be filled with lubricant, what if some were not filled and made it off the assembly line and got used on some of the 2014 models?
 
max_imp said:
Just had an idea Dave, do you think it is possible that the brass center part of the piston is sintered?
Sintered bronze is porous, is used as bearings for starter motors and the pores can/should be filled with lubricant, what if some were not filled and made it off the assembly line and got used on some of the 2014 models?
Hi Max. I saved my old IACV and just looked at it; the moving piston does not appear to be sintered. It has a very smooth surface, possibly polished. It doesn't look like it is brass, and I don't think it is chrome plated; it is non-magnetic. I would guess aluminum, but I think an aluminum surface would oxidize and not maintain this shine. It sure looks like steel, maybe stainless? What's your guess? I posted a picture of it somewhere in this post a couple of years ago and the color in that picture does give the impression that it is brass, but the picture is misleading.
 
Thanks for that info Dave, i was just brainstorming to see what the germans have done to repair their bikes.
Agree with the previous member who suggested to replace rather than clean the iacv after all the work to get it out, but just curious, cheers.
 
No. Replace it and it’s done.
 
Eureka! IACV removed by removing only the airbox,

136a2afe578d63722a9582d599b9ab9b.jpg




5069893af3f2cbfc7983f613eedb8708.jpg


8c148cce171e20d512692ae828fc90c2.jpg


now I await the new IACV
 
Enzofour_imp said:
Eureka! IACV removed by removing only the airbox,

136a2afe578d63722a9582d599b9ab9b.jpg




5069893af3f2cbfc7983f613eedb8708.jpg


8c148cce171e20d512692ae828fc90c2.jpg


now I await the new IACV
Seems like such harmless little thing. Good luck with install on the new one when you get it.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Enzofour_imp said:
Eureka! IACV removed by removing only the airbox,

136a2afe578d63722a9582d599b9ab9b.jpg




5069893af3f2cbfc7983f613eedb8708.jpg


8c148cce171e20d512692ae828fc90c2.jpg


now I await the new IACV
Seems like such harmless little thing. Good luck with install on the new one when you get it.
:dodgy: Harmless? Looks like it should go into some orfice somewhere.

Nevertheless, I hope it just works for you.
 
Just don't know why Honda used this prehistoric stepper motor solution....when there is much modern, flawlessly working air idle control valve design...perhaps cost or historic stock pile forced them to use it :)
 
It could be as simple as they understand their implementation and its range of ability that is "good enough" to meet product requirements. This practice is very common among industrial product companies.

If it failed to meet their product requirements, they would seek out an alternative, and possibly more modern or simpler approach.

And yes, maybe Honda has a huge inventory of these parts. That also plays into decision making for sure PB.
 
That's incredible what you did. I don't know how you were able to remove some of the screws holding the airbox sections together.
 
Dave_imp said:
That's incredible what you did. I don't know how you were able to remove some of the screws holding the airbox sections together.
with a lot of patience and a pinch of cunning. :D
Seriously, the biggest challenge was getting the airbox off the frame.

Your always ok with the new IACV?
How many km have you traveled since the replacement?
 
Your always ok with the new IACV?
How many km have you traveled since the replacement?
[/QUOTE]

I have logged almost 10,000 miles since replacing the IACV. Bike continues to run perfectly.
 
Dave_imp said:
Your always ok with the new IACV?
How many km have you traveled since the replacement?

I have logged almost 10,000 miles since replacing the IACV. Bike continues to run perfectly.
[/QUOTE]
I have logged almost 10,000 miles since replacing the IACV. Bike continues to run perfectly.
[/QUOTE]

wonderful news:):):)
 
Enzo since you have a bad iacv can you think of a reason that made it fail slowly?
And which screw was the most difficult to remove in the airbox?
 
max_imp said:
Enzo since you have a bad iacv can you think of a reason that made it fail slowly?
And which screw was the most difficult to remove in the airbox?
As I wrote in another post, I bought the bike used in November 2020.
Due to lockdown covid I did very few 400 km approx. Twice it turned off due to a too low minimum, the last vote was turned off by the Honda dealer who found the problem, in fact the new IACV valve is given to me under warranty.:)
No screws were particularly difficult, the difficulty was getting the filter box out of the frame, due to the very little space.
 
Today the Honda dealer informed me that in 2016 Honda sent dealers an ECU update.
This update was not an official reminder, but a tip to use on 2014/2015 models with low idle and shutdown issues.
On 14/04/2021 they will install this update for me, we will see the effects.
I will try to get the name / code of the firmware for this update.
Meanwhile, with the replacement of the IACV the bike didn't give me any more problems.:)
 
Back
Top