CB1100 good for Touring?!

Thread starter
Alright guys. Here is the million dollar question. 5 or 6 speed?? There is a left over 2013 near me that is so tempting. I think I am sold on the idea of being able to "tour" and camp and do awesome things. Will the 6th gear really make that much of a difference?
 
The 6 speed version, as I understand it, is better for touring. Being able to shift into 6th and cruise down the highway at 80 and still be well under 4K rpms is pretty great. Somebody with a 5speed would have to comment on just how tall the 5th gear is.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
The 6 speed version, as I understand it, is better for touring. Being able to shift into 6th and cruise down the highway at 80 and still be well under 4K rpms is pretty great. Somebody with a 5speed would have to comment on just how tall the 5th gear is.
I'm curious what the 5 speed guys have to say. I just love the red so much, it's a pain to find any left over Deluxes
 
iamlegend21087_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
The 6 speed version, as I understand it, is better for touring. Being able to shift into 6th and cruise down the highway at 80 and still be well under 4K rpms is pretty great. Somebody with a 5speed would have to comment on just how tall the 5th gear is.
I'm curious what the 5 speed guys have to say. I just love the red so much, it's a pain to find any left over Deluxes
I'm curious what the 5 speed guys have to say. I just love the red so much, it's a pain to find any left over Deluxes
red '13 or '17 tanks are easy to come by on samurider.com
 
I have done a little touring on my 2013. No complaints from me with the bike setup for my comfort. WA>ID>MT>WY>CO>NE via 2-lane (some not paved) then back on the freeway at 85 mph. The freeway was tiresome riding 16+ hours straight.
6bccdd44f5f0803f3e9762960cbfc812.jpg
4072fa7142e27b03e42ab0acd3819e61.jpg
6d4f6f1adbd97756348560ee3b52787b.jpg
84b202a395a74f5b8d764fba7a865a2a.jpg
9bb57d8a99f0c91218995ac3eb0c7d75.jpg
16b6c2532601165c50c448455f1601c2.jpg
d1aa7dd5381b7e8d3db446f6c2207083.jpg
dda3d5e83272f99540a084e77d065a3c.jpg
06a3e0adea700d65a409a0f31f9467c0.jpg
 
16 hours on a seat ( any seat) seems like forever. My wife and I rode straight thru coming back from Florida one year. 942 miles, 17 hours. Ugh..no desire to repeat any time soon.
 
Courtesy of Qantas, lucky Australians who can afford it can spend 17 hours sitting in one seat on a Boeing Dreamliner as they travel between Perth and London. But I digress.

iamlegend, I’ve done a bit of touring, camping and even a few awesome things on my 2011 CB1100 and hope to do more. Since 80 mph is faster than the maximum allowable speed pretty much anywhere in Australia, I couldn’t comment on sustained travel at that pace. I also prefer to avoid freeways and major highways, largely because they’re usually less fun to ride on and, if they’re busy, more uncomfortable due to the higher level of turbulence. However, at 110 kph (just under 70 mph) the speed limit on freeways, the CB is very comfortable in 5th and can cruise comfortably for long periods. A 6th gear would be a bonus, but is by no means a necessity.
 
Yeah, in '91 I rode the 1750km from NB to London, ON in one shot. I didn't even want to look at my bike for about 2 weeks after.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Why only short touring, dbarkdoll?
No reason in particular. Just havnt had the right combination of time off from work and good weather to do any multi day trips. Should have some opportunities coming up soon that I am looking forward to though.
iamlegend21087_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
The 6 speed version, as I understand it, is better for touring. Being able to shift into 6th and cruise down the highway at 80 and still be well under 4K rpms is pretty great. Somebody with a 5speed would have to comment on just how tall the 5th gear is.
I'm curious what the 5 speed guys have to say. I just love the red so much, it's a pain to find any left over Deluxes
I'm curious what the 5 speed guys have to say. I just love the red so much, it's a pain to find any left over Deluxes
2013 owner here. Cruising at 70 mph has me around 4000 rpm, which honestly is a bit smoother than the 3500 rpm range. Less vibey. Something about Honda's choice to make this engine run a little rougher to add "chatacter"
 
dbarkdoll_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Why only short touring, dbarkdoll?
No reason in particular. Just havnt had the right combination of time off from work and good weather to do any multi day trips. Should have some opportunities coming up soon that I am looking forward to though.
iamlegend21087_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
The 6 speed version, as I understand it, is better for touring. Being able to shift into 6th and cruise down the highway at 80 and still be well under 4K rpms is pretty great. Somebody with a 5speed would have to comment on just how tall the 5th gear is.
I'm curious what the 5 speed guys have to say. I just love the red so much, it's a pain to find any left over Deluxes
I'm curious what the 5 speed guys have to say. I just love the red so much, it's a pain to find any left over Deluxes
2013 owner here. Cruising at 70 mph has me around 4000 rpm, which honestly is a bit smoother than the 3500 rpm range. Less vibey. Something about Honda's choice to make this engine run a little rougher to add "chatacter"
on the 6speed, i don't find the smoother range until 5k and up, and i don't usually maintain the 5-7k range unless i'm just passing everybody on earth, or going into "sport mode" to bend a series of really fun turns. the 3500 range is really just for saving gas, which it seems to do.
 
Yup, definitely! I realllly enjoy listening to this bike sing at 5000+ rpm. With the Arrow slip-on with the baffle removed its pure mechanical music!!
 
EmptySea_imp said:
It would work fine for your purposes, I think.

I have a luggage rack. I use a waterproof bag across the rear seat and/or luggage rack

I do not have a windshield. I find them more of a pain than they are worth, but I am in the distinct minority in that opinion.

I will be adding hand guards and heated grips for cold and/or damp weather.

I have not camped off the bike, but there would be plenty of room behind me for my clothing and camping gear.

I have completed one Saddle Sore 1000 ride on my CB and have logged several 500+ mile days.

I have to stop to stretch every 130 miles or so, so the fuel capacity is a nonissue for me.
I am in that minority. If I decide to ride in the winter I'll change my mind and buy a windshield and hand grip shield pair and heated suit too...

...or a Yamaha FJ. Yup.
 
NightRider_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
It would work fine for your purposes, I think.

I have a luggage rack. I use a waterproof bag across the rear seat and/or luggage rack

I do not have a windshield. I find them more of a pain than they are worth, but I am in the distinct minority in that opinion.

I will be adding hand guards and heated grips for cold and/or damp weather.

I have not camped off the bike, but there would be plenty of room behind me for my clothing and camping gear.

I have completed one Saddle Sore 1000 ride on my CB and have logged several 500+ mile days.

I have to stop to stretch every 130 miles or so, so the fuel capacity is a nonissue for me.
I am in that minority. If I decide to ride in the winter I'll change my mind and buy a windshield and hand grip shield pair and heated suit too...

...or a Yamaha FJ. Yup.
I am in that minority. If I decide to ride in the winter I'll change my mind and buy a windshield and hand grip shield pair and heated suit too...

...or a Yamaha FJ. Yup.
Me too. I really like the looks of the Road Comet 2 but I doubt I'll get one as I am worried it would cause buffeting.

My '00 Sabre had a windshield on it (from previous owner), my wife and I took a 5000km trip to the Cabot Trail and it caused buffeting so bad that I actually took it off and threw it in the trash at the Nova Scotia border.
 
The ferret_imp said:
150,000 kms....wow that's 93,000 miles. He's a rider for sure!

Looks like he had a broken spoke or two. I can't read German..any other issues?

Looks like he uses Metzler Z8's and EBC pads.
Banned_imp said:
Roper_imp said:
You could change the sprocket to get lower gearing, change the suspension for more travel, get spoke wheels and tires with more aggressive tread, retrofit some kind of higher exhaust to run along the side, and put a bash plate on the bottom of the cradle. Then you'd have a really cool scrambler! It would still be heavy, though. And pretty expensive for all those mods. Might as well just by a scrambler.
I have never ridden a "scrambler" so forgive me if this is a stupid question but how do you not burn your leg on the exhaust:huh:
Heat guards on the exhaust
Sorry to come back so late to your question
(I was on my next tour - 8 days, 9 countries, 3000km :) )

In comparison to the tours, distances and regions I was riding I had only minor issues:

- 53,400 km: some idling problems (solved)
- 62,065 km: 13 valves had to be readjusted (and never again till now)
- 95,015 km: was the rear left wheel bearing defective
- 99.404 km: the starter switch was replaced
- 100.875 km: spokes were broken (rear wheel)

Everything else is still original:
- Engine
- Battery
- Clutch
- Gearbox
- …

And yes, I am using Metzeler Z8, EBC pads and D.I.D. chains

I am using the CB on (gravel) roads with a lot of luggage and my wife on the back seat. Overall, the CB 1100 EX is very good for touring :)

Unfortunately my website is in German. You may use google translate (even it is not a good translation):


CB 1100 EX (problems and spare parts)


[url=https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmotorrad-und-touren.de%2Ftouren&edit-text=&act=url]touring with CB 1100 EX


 
Good to see your CB1100 getting so much use, Thorsten.
 
Awesome, itsme67. I've bookmarked your sites.

Have you experienced any issues with the inner tubes in the spoked wheels?
 
Stichill_imp said:
Awesome, itsme67. I've bookmarked your sites.

Have you experienced any issues with the inner tubes in the spoked wheels?

Thank you :)

I never had any issues with the inner tubes. However, for very long trip or trip into "exotic" regions I am carrying old but still good tubes as spare parts with me.
 
That spoke cracking is a concern.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
That spoke cracking is a concern.
Honestly, I rode some bad streets with a lot of luggage. And after roughly 100.000 km even spokes are wear parts. I replaced them with high quality steel spokes (not original Honda) and I am not concerned.
 
dbarkdoll_imp said:
Yup, definitely! I realllly enjoy listening to this bike sing at 5000+ rpm. With the Arrow slip-on with the baffle removed its pure mechanical music!!
I agree I have the Arrow and I also had the Yoshi pipe on my last CB, and the arrow sounds wayyyy better. It’s got a more refined tone.
 
Back
Top