CB1100 coolant.... true story

Sfomoto_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hello,
I started doing some of the basic maintenance on my CB1100 – oil change, chain, checking fluids, etc. I thought that it would be a good idea to have my local dealer, Fun Bike Center of Lakeland, do the “complicated work”… sparkplugs, tires, etc. So, I called the service department, and asked if they could do the sparkplugs and do a basic check on the bike. I was informed by one of the staff from the service department that it was recommended by Honda that they flush the radiator fluid and replace all of the coolant every 8k miles along with the sparkplugs and oil change. At first I thought he was playing due to the bike being air-cooled. So I asked: so flushing the radiator fluid is standard maintenance on a Honda CB1100? To my surprise he answered: YEEESSS! Very important that you replace that coolant, you don’t want that bike overheating in this Florida weather. So, I asked: is it easy to flush the radiator fluid on an air-cooled Honda CB1100?? And to my surprise the answer was: a little tricky but we will take care of it. I asked: do you realize that we are talking about an air-cooled bike?? And for the great finale I was informed that I was wrong…. Apparently the CB1100 has a radiator…. I am still trying to find it LOL!!

So, I decided to call the parts department and ordered the sparkplugs and the tools to do it myself!
 
Wow....you have to love the uninformed that are in sales. I used to work with people like that and I did my best to educate them about what they were doing wrong, but it was usually a fight to the finish.
 
Obviously they won, Randy. Seems they've driven you out! :rofl:
 
No, I got a MUCH better paying job. :D Toss them. :P
 
I should have known a man with a BLUE CB1100 wouldn't be held back by such people. :thumbsup:
 
This is with any parts place. You HAVE to find the experienced guy and talk to him as there is always at least one that know what hes doing, and sometimes the younglings actually listen to his teachings and pick things up rather than plodding ahead on their own looking the fool.
 
That's hilarious. What determination! I can hear it now: "it's a good thing we flushed her out - that coolant looked like OIL! But she's all filled up with nice fresh anti-freeze now. Y'er welcome."

:dodgy:
 
Several years ago I bought a Kawi Concours 1000 from a guy at work. I'd had it a few months and the night before my first road trip on it, I got in a panic thinking I hadn't checked the tension or even lubed the chain since I'd had it. The next morning I got up early to go to the garage and get it done...and about half way there I remembered it had a shaft drive.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Several years ago I bought a Kawi Concours 1000 from a guy at work. I'd had it a few months and the night before my first road trip on it, I got in a panic thinking I hadn't checked the tension or even lubed the chain since I'd had it. The next morning I got up early to go to the garage and get it done...and about half way there I remembered it had a shaft drive.
:rofl: Early senior moment?
 
one letter off and the guy would have been correct?
Isn't there a CB1100R/CBR1100 or something that has coolant?

Oh, and for all those people who blasted me for saying the 600 mile service being missed was not a big deal when considering a used bike.....consider that dealer....would hate to miss that service!
 
Don't forget to have them check the "rear ABS" if you have a non-ABS bike...
 
I could possibly see that happening here.
I think there are only four CB's in our province; two 2013's and two 2014's.
All were sold by the same dealership, and sold locally, so maybe not.
The guys at my Honda dealership are pretty sharp - even if somebody missed the banged up exhaust pipes on my CB during dealer prep.
 
Back
Top