CB1100 Backrest Project

Thread starter
I got my new nylon bushing prototypes made on the Lathe last Thursday. I need to adjust the numbers a little but these are going to work great to keep the backrest nice and snug on the bike. Shouldn't be too long now, this was a milestone.

 
Custom work takes a lot of time and effort, imagine all the time and design that goes into the parts of a motorcycle. The CB had a 4 year run, the amount of R&D that Honda spent to bring this bike to manufacturing I wonder what the profit margin could be??
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
Custom work takes a lot of time and effort, imagine all the time and design that goes into the parts of a motorcycle. The CB had a 4 year run, the amount of R&D that Honda spent to bring this bike to manufacturing I wonder what the profit margin could be??
That no joke. It's really incredible what people can do, but the time and effort things take is never really understood by the purchaser in the end. I absolutely love my 2014 CB. I wonder the same thing about profit because it had to take a ton of time and money, though its not like they had to start from scratch. I read up on the motor a little, sounds like that was what took the most time. I don't know much about motors at all, those people are the real engineers and it baffles my mind!
 
So was this your last major hurdle? Here's to hoping you have a model that also has a luggage rack with the backrest before my next trip so I can skip figuring our what crap I actually need vrs crap I can leave at home.
 
CIP57_imp said:
Custom work takes a lot of time and effort, imagine all the time and design that goes into the parts of a motorcycle. The CB had a 4 year run, the amount of R&D that Honda spent to bring this bike to manufacturing I wonder what the profit margin could be??
I work in the engineering department designing products that are just as complex as a motorcycle. The key is to reuse as much as you can from other areas. For the CB1100, it shares many parts from other bikes where possible. Some we notice, many we don't.
 
I doubt Honda made much profit on the CB, but what about the NM4?

Something must make money for them. Oh yea Fit, Civic, Accord and lawn mowers.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Do not forget about the sales in Japan since 2010. That plus other country sales may have allowed for a profit of some amount.
 
Thread starter
ischliky_imp said:
So was this your last major hurdle? Here's to hoping you have a model that also has a luggage rack with the backrest before my next trip so I can skip figuring our what crap I actually need vrs crap I can leave at home.
Well I could only hope that this is my last hurdle but yes it is looking promising. The backrest is my main mission right now and then I will definitely be coming up with a rack option. It will take some time as I really really really want these to be top quality.
 
Thread starter
I have to say, this project has been a lot more work then it looks. It always amazes me. When you have to think about every single line in a cad drawing, or every cut at the band saw, everything has a dimension, a number. You have to consider every factor in the finished product, appearance, strength, functionality, comfort. I even scratched my bike a few times just taking this thing on and off about 50 times fitting it up. You try to be careful, raw metal is sharp.. After this picture I sprayed this first finished prototype with primer and she is hanging in the garage awaiting some black spray paint. There are a couple things I for sure have to change and improve, I wont point them out though lol. All I know is that I have a working backrest right now, and the wife will appreciate that more than anyone.

 
Thread starter
furious_blue_imp said:
Man, that looks *industrial*, in the best possible way. Cool stuff !
Thanks Furius blue, My next one will be a lot better. The shape of the bracket really does toughen up the look of the back end. Cant wait to see it all blacked out and mounted.
 
Thread starter
Well here she is, primed, painted, tested, approved by wife.
I will run this for the season on my bike and start working on the new and improved version.

 
Have you done a time study for installation and removal?
 
Metalmaven, the photos are no longer visible.
 
Thread starter
treytexag_imp said:
Metal, it really did turn out nice sir. I like the whole quick on / quick off concept.
Thanks a lot! The wife likes it too. I am taking a break from my next version, but I have some improvements to make so I am a little excited to get going on my next one.
 
Back
Top