CB1100 Backrest Project

Now something like that for hard luggage and a rear rack is what I would love to have for my CBs!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter


Thanks for all the interest and ideas guys.

Here is a shot of where it sits at the moment. I havent been able to work on it for a few days.
 
If you have time to fab another, I'd be interested in purchasing one as-is. I'd really like to use my army ruck instead of 'adventure luggage' (Twisted Throttle is just up the road), and your setup looks like an awesome alternative to the Ventura Pack-rack. Let me know..,
 
Thread starter
12milesout_imp said:
If you have time to fab another, I'd be interested in purchasing one as-is. I'd really like to use my army ruck instead of 'adventure luggage' (Twisted Throttle is just up the road), and your setup looks like an awesome alternative to the Ventura Pack-rack. Let me know..,
When you say "as is", do you mean in the state that it is in in my last picture? As in just the main bracket?
 
Thread starter
12milesout_imp said:
Yep; main bracket, bare metal. My idea is to weld a rack to it and have the whole thing powder-coated.
I'm cool with that. As it stands right now there is no lock mechanism. It hooks in on the front two posts and pivots down on the rear posts.
 
I'm sure I can come up with something. That National Cycle paladin rack is cool, but I can justify spending $300 just to hack it up. I don't necessarily need quick-release, but I'd like something a bit easier than bolt-on.
 
Thread starter
12milesout_imp said:
I'm sure I can come up with something. That National Cycle paladin rack is cool, but I can justify spending $300 just to hack it up. I don't necessarily need quick-release, but I'd like something a bit easier than bolt-on.
Sounds great. I will create a special item for it in my Etsy store so you can pay thru there to make it easy. Give me a couple days and its yours. I will let you know.
 
Thread starter
I have not fallen off the face of the earth..

Been busy, but I have redesigned the bracket a bit and will be cutting it out soon. I have incorporated some passenger handles to the bracket as you can see in the image. I will be sliding on some nice black aluminum grips and these will be optional bolt ons. So the plan is so far..

 
Thread starter
I am getting closer and I am starting to think about paint colors. I am going to have the first 5 backrests powder coated black, most likely a flat or semi-gloss, maybe even a textured black. Black is of course going to be for the 2014 Black CB typically.

What color would everyone else like to see? I was thinking silver to match the other silver components on the bike..

Thoughts?
 
Thread starter
ischliky_imp said:
I was hoping you would do a flat black or a silver/chrome that matches the rear fender.
Cool yeah I am trying to save a little money by having the powdercoater use a paint that he already has set up for a job he is running at the time I bring these to him, but it needs to be a flat black or close for sure on these first few. I want to do some silver ones right away too for the guys with non-black bikes but it will keep cost down if I run one color in this first group..
 
Matching your existing license plate wouldn't be a bad idea either. As I have a black standard I think about any variant of black will end up being fine though.
 
metal..did I miss a pic of one of these prototypes actually mounted on a bike? Like to see one.

2nd Q .. for someone interested not in a back rest, but in an easily removable small luggage rack, is there going to be an option for that somehow?




.
 
Thread starter
metalmaven_imp said:
Well I got some brackets lasered and bent up.
Cant wait to get home from work today and see how they
fit!
I have one set of these, see post#13 the set on the right actually. In this exact state if anyone is interested. You will need some welding and some grinding. Grinding wise there is a clearance issue with hitting the blinker mount and part of the bracket (about 1/8th inch) need to be ground away. About a 15 minute job. If anyone wants this "as is" project I will create an item for it in my Etsy store. Let me know.
 
Back
Top