CB1100 and Wind

postoak_imp said:
I am perfectly fine! Discretion is the better part of valor. I didn't go down or anything, but the almost instantaneous and unexpected 10 inch move to the left was a wake up call that I heeded.
Wise man.
 
Here are two consecutive pics I took maybe 30 secs apart on our trip to Cali. My buddy on a Vstom 1000 was riding the left tire track and I was riding in the center on my ST 1300. We are in in eastern Colorado at this point, headed north with a west wind. Look at his wheels, look at his body posture. I have a dozen pics of him fighting the wind like this.

5187592bad7403d9a59b197a3f5f5e92.jpg


Look how far a wind gust pushed him in this second pic ...lol.. from the left track to the right track almost to the white line. It was a hoot to watch, but no fun to ride in.

df909e97412c886a7e8c449c6143c98b.jpg


Like I said by 3 PM we were bushed. Normally we would have ridden until dinner, but that day we got off the road at 3 PM, exhausted.

edit: found another where it pushed him all the way to the white line lol

78d5df244b01c65bc36c476c7558c54d.jpg
 
Yea no kidding, that could have been really bad.
 
I think I took about 1200 photos on that 11 day ride. This is a big country. Spend 10 hours or so a day in the saddle and sometimes there's not a lot to do except take pictures lol.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Same here. Without unnecessary body work, my CB11 is quite stable in a crosswind. The only exception being when you load up the rear seat and rack with luggage and camping gear. Then it can get a bit tricky if the crosswind gets above 30 mph or so.

ad7988b14f0cf5a0f1ed640c22804d63.jpg

One of the first things I did was put the same Plexifaring on my CB that Flyrider shows in his picture. I can't say whether the wind effect on the bike is more or less with that large fairing, but the wind effect on me is reduced tremendously.

Wind, however, wasn't the reason I installed it. About fifteen years ago I had to ride through a vicious Piedmont rain storm at night on US 40/85 on a Honda CB750F. I was riding through grey curtains of rain and spray from passing trucks worse than I can describe, trying to keep up at 60MPH. That night, that big fairing was my best friend. I don't see how I could have made it through without it.
 
Small or no screens in blowing freeway rain really suck. Just have to bare through it until the next stop opportunity. Many times it didn't matter and I just push on because the rain was unplanned and thus had already took on a soaking. A pretty sorry situation.
 
Back
Top