CB1100 and Wind

Thread starter
My reason for slowing has nothing to do with enhancing the bikes stability but instead enhancing my ability to react to wind gusts that may hit from an unexpected direction and velocity. 45 to 50 mph is a good compromise speed in this situation. Fast enough to take advantage of the natural stability of a moving bike but slow enough to allow some wiggle room when you're suddenly blown from one side of your lane to another.
 
When I was a younger bloke with small children and very little money, I bought a Honda C90 as a commuter. At the time I was living in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia's island state, which is south of Australia and in the roaring 40s. There were times when I was riding it in the wind—particularly in the city around tall buildings—when the wind would simply pick it up and deposit it somewhere else in the lane. Or that's what it felt like. It can't have been as bad as all that because I never came off it and I was never deposited into the side of a car. But it was unnerving.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Having never ridden my CB in any truly foul weather I have been curious as to how it might be affected by high wind gusts that sometimes accompany severe thunder storms. Yesterday I learned the answer.

Coming home from running a few errands I encountered a bad storm that had been generated by the day's excessive heat and humidity. Ahead I could see tree limbs being ripped away and pines being bent as though they would break. Dropping to about 45mph I braced for the wind's impact and was surprised at how stable the bike was in these gusts which thankfully didn't last long. Perhaps the lack of a large fairing and bodywork is a factor. I did get blown about a bit of course but the CB felt safe and stable. I love this bike more every time I ride it.
Absolutely concur.
 
I was doing 65 on a highway recently into a 45mph headwind with gusts to 60. The CB handled it as well as any bike so far as I'm concerned. It did beat me up though. I was in a full tuck, which on the CB is an odd thing. On the way back it was reallly strange. I'd get a little kick from the back from time to time, but watching the world go by at 65 while feeling no wind was a neat feeling.
 
Agreed. Tucking on the CB does not feel natural, but can be on other naked's. Can't explain either. So I don't bother anymore. The smooth lump blunts wind quite nicely.
 
Before purchasing a Triumph Street Twin a little over a year ago, I had read about numerous bikes, dimensions, weights, etc. But over and over again, I kept coming up with "weight" as a major thing to consider--I became convinced the less weight the better. I already had the experience with a '14 cb1100 standard, and yes, it felt hefty as I moved it around the garage, but not so much riding it. The Street Twin was 100lbs lighter! I liked its look. I liked it's sound and feel on the test ride. But it was a bit cramped for me, which I reasoned I could make better. Once I got it on the hiway at 70mph and felt how it bounced around with some headwinds and crosswinds, I couldn't help compare it to the solid feel of the cb1100 in similar conditions. I kept the Street Twin for only two months. I sold it for about $800 less than purchase price, so I just considered it a $400 a month rental. I'm glad I moved on, and back to a '17 CB1100. As soon as I was out on a windy day, I was reminded of its solid feel at speed. I like the sure footing of the CB a lot more than the nimble feel of the Street Twin. The Twin was a fun bike, but just didn't feel right to me after the CB1100.
 
My 1982 Honda Aspencade (Goldwing) was unnerving when encountering heavy cross winds. The fuel tank under seat and flat four motor gave it a very low center of gravity. It acted like those old air filled punch toys with the sand it the bottom. When you punched the head it fell down and then bounced back up. Having ridden the Aspencade a lot I knew it would always pop back up, but it made Penny very nervous in windy weather.

Coming back from the motorcycle races at Laconia, New Hampshire we encountered a severe storm crossing the causeway at the top of Lake Champlain. We were bobbing along at very slow speed and could not see 10 feet in front of us because of the torrential rain. I was concerned we would be hit from behind. I told Penny to look for a break in the white line at the side of the road. When we found one we pulled off. When the rain stopped we found ourselves in a vacant lot in Rouses Point.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Before purchasing a Triumph Street Twin a little over a year ago, I had read about numerous bikes, dimensions, weights, etc. But over and over again, I kept coming up with "weight" as a major thing to consider--I became convinced the less weight the better. I already had the experience with a '14 cb1100 standard, and yes, it felt hefty as I moved it around the garage, but not so much riding it. The Street Twin was 100lbs lighter! I liked its look. I liked it's sound and feel on the test ride. But it was a bit cramped for me, which I reasoned I could make better. Once I got it on the hiway at 70mph and felt how it bounced around with some headwinds and crosswinds, I couldn't help compare it to the solid feel of the cb1100 in similar conditions. I kept the Street Twin for only two months. I sold it for about $800 less than purchase price, so I just considered it a $400 a month rental. I'm glad I moved on, and back to a '17 CB1100. As soon as I was out on a windy day, I was reminded of its solid feel at speed. I like the sure footing of the CB a lot more than the nimble feel of the Street Twin. The Twin was a fun bike, but just didn't feel right to me after the CB1100.

I appreciate a little heft in a bike. Makes it feel solid, not twitchy on the highway. About 550 pounds is perfect for me.
 
I find the CB1100 to be relatively unaffected by strong winds, although punching into them as a rider is not much fun.
 
Same here. Without unnecessary body work, my CB11 is quite stable in a crosswind. The only exception being when you load up the rear seat and rack with luggage and camping gear. Then it can get a bit tricky if the crosswind gets above 30 mph or so.

ad7988b14f0cf5a0f1ed640c22804d63.jpg
 
I have found a good technique to use for strong side winds, regardless of what motorcycle you are on. Rather than leaning into the wind and then having to move in the opposite direction, over and over (which is tiring), just lean the bike slightly into the wind but keep your body sitting upright. I have been able to handle sustained strong side winds this way without wearing myself out with the effort.
 
Rode out to Death Valley a couple years ago on the CB with a smaller plastic windscreen (MRA I think). From Wickenberg to Kingman I was beat up. Once I got onto I-40 a Highway patrolman passed me on his big BMW - steady as a rock. I was very envious. Mileage suffered a lot too.

Don't recall any nasty wind while using the larger windscreen, the Rabid Transit or naked; at least not like trip. Back in the day while commuting between Superior and Duluth taking the Blatnik Bridge (aka the high bridge) some springs I was lucky to make if off the road alive. The wind would force a lane change in half a second and I barely kept it off the guard rails. Oiy!
 
I have found the small windshields like the Dart Marlin is effective to maybe up to 120 km/h. Less so if dealing with strong gusts. Limitations exist.
 
Worst winds I have been in are eastern Colorado and western Kansas. They were nuts! You were either riding on a steady 45 degree angle or it would let up, at which point you almost dropped your bike, then hit you with a gust, knocking you all the way across a lane or more, then it would let up again, then another gust. When my buddy and I rode to Cali and back in 2014 that was the shortest day we had on the road. We were just flat wore out from fighting the wind and got a hotel about 3 o'clock in the afternoon.
 
We had the rare windstorm here in SE Texas on Friday. I decided to go out on a ride anyway and slunk back home after 8 miles after an "incident". And this was on the 630 pound FJR.

It occurs to me that a crosswind applies a torquing force on the body which transmits down to the bike itself and leans it over -- and leaning is how you steer a bike, of course, as we all learned in motorcycle class. So crosswind gusts can cause some quick and unexpected lane movements.
 
Are you OK, postoak?
 
I am perfectly fine! Discretion is the better part of valor. I didn't go down or anything, but the almost instantaneous and unexpected 10 inch move to the left was a wake up call that I heeded.
 
The only bike I’ve had that just seems to flat out ignore wind is my Tenere. I’ll be getting buffeted as the rider, but the bike tracks steady as she goes.
 
Back
Top