CB1100 and Ducati Owners

COCB1100_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
For the CB1100 owners out there who have owned or currently own a Ducati...

Can I get a straight answer with respect to maintenance and reliability first hand? While I could go poke around on Duc forums (already have), I hold the folks here in very high regard and would be willing to assign far more weight to those who are willing to share here (away from the Kool-Aid bowl).

I'm in love with the sport classic series of Ducati bikes in particular and just wanted to gather some general intel among this population to supplement what I've already read and heard in order to get a different perspective.

Thanks in advance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ducati has a very rich history. Like any other motorcycle brand, you can get a good machine or a bad machine. Some people claim they have had Ducatis for years and never had any issues with them. My son got a brand new Ducati Monster 696 in 2009. His was one of the bad ones. The electrical system went out, it developed a persistant oil leak, and the transmission locked up on him. He also had a persistant brake squeal. He won't ride it very far from home now. Each issue required a two hour trailer ride to the dealer. A 2 week wait. And a two hour trip back to the dealer to pick it up. It has been running pretty well lately though. As far as maintenance, he still doesn't have enough miles on it yet to require a valve adjustment or cam belt replacement so I can't comment on how expensive that is. His primary bikes have been Yamahas, an 04 FZ-1 (40,000 miles, never in the shop) and a 2015 FJ-09, not sure of mileage, (maybe 10K) also never been in the shop.

His wife's cousin bought the next version Ducati Monster, a 796 I believe. He had persistant rear brake failures. After several tries for the dealer to fix it, he gave up and traded it in on a Triumph Bonneville.

My doctor friend bought a Multistrada. After several issues he traded it in on a KTM. He still has the KTM, but has since bought another Mulitstrada (and a BMW S1000), but then again he's rich and doesn't worry about exotics breaking down on him like you or I would lol

Ducati is doing well in MotoGP ( although that's a V4) and in Superbike, but race bikes have professional teams of mechanics to keep them running. They get great reviews in the magazines generally, but again magazines recieve professionally prepped test bikes and don't live with them for very long. A new Rider magazine came in today and they tested the 950 Multistrada against the Kaw 1000LT and Suzuki Vstrom 1000. The Duc finished last and the article states " although the Ducati is a blast on racer road, it's lack of low to midrange power and quirky brakes, clutch and seat turned us off".

Personally I would not buy a Ducati as a primary bike, but I might buy one as a stable mate to my primary bike if I was looking for a good looking, great sounding sporting Italian machine for blasting curvy roads on during weekends.

I hate to discourage someone from buying a Ducati, if that's what they want, but you asked for personal knowledge and not hearsay.

I'm sure someone will come along that got a reliable Ducati to balance the opinions.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Ducati has a very rich history. Like any other motorcycle brand, you can get a good machine or a bad machine. Some people claim they have had Ducatis for years and never had any issues with them. My son got a brand new Ducati Monster 696 in 2009. His was one of the bad ones. The electrical system went out, it developed a persistant oil leak, and the transmission locked up on him. He also had a persistant brake squeal. He won't ride it very far from home now. Each issue required a two hour trailer ride to the dealer. A 2 week wait. And a two hour trip back to the dealer to pick it up. It has been running pretty well lately though. As far as maintenance, he still doesn't have enough miles on it yet to require a valve adjustment or cam belt replacement so I can't comment on how expensive that is. His primary bikes have been Yamahas, an 04 FZ-1 (40,000 miles, never in the shop) and a 2015 FJ-09, not sure of mileage, (maybe 10K) also never been in the shop.

His wife's cousin bought the next version Ducati Monster, a 796 I believe. He had persistant rear brake failures. After several tries for the dealer to fix it, he gave up and traded it in on a Triumph Bonneville.

My doctor friend bought a Multistrada. After several issues he traded it in on a KTM. He still has the KTM, but has since bought another Mulitstrada (and a BMW S1000), but then again he's rich and doesn't worry about exotics breaking down on him like you or I would lol

Ducati is doing well in MotoGP ( although that's a V4) and in Superbike, but race bikes have professional teams of mechanics to keep them running. They get great reviews in the magazines generally, but again magazines recieve professionally prepped test bikes and don't live with them for very long. A new Rider magazine came in today and they tested the 950 Multistrada against the Kaw 1000LT and Suzuki Vstrom 1000. The Duc finished last and the article states " although the Ducati is a blast on racer road, it's lack of low to midrange power and quirky brakes, clutch and seat turned us off".

Personally I would not buy a Ducati as a primary bike, but I might buy one as a stable mate to my primary bike if I was looking for a good looking, great sounding sporting Italian machine for blasting curvy roads on during weekends.

I hate to discourage someone from buying a Ducati, if that's what they want, but you asked for personal knowledge and not hearsay.

I'm sure someone will come along that got a reliable Ducati to balance the opinions.

See that above... that type of detailed thorough response is exactly why I posted that in this forum. Then again, I'd expect no less from The Ferret.

I rode with two buddies a couple weekends ago and both had Italian machinery.... one an MV Augusta, the other a Ducati. Before the ride was finished, the Monster threw an engine code. My other friend's supersport Ducati hasn't really had many issues, but I'm afraid I know more instances of friends who just deal with and put up with the issues because they enjoy the other aspects of riding them.

It's just I find that the sound of the old air cooled 992 twin spark motors with Termi pipes to be like a drug to me. It's the crazy, unstable and volatile GF you don't want to marry and know you should steer clear of that has that inexplicable pull. Wish I could own both my bike and one of those.

In the same way I'd never opt to ride in a Range Rover over a Toyota Landcruiser or Toyota Hilux in the middle of a barren dessert where it's potentially life or death being stranded, I'm guessing it's not smart to count on and rely on a Ducati as a primary means of transport.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Bear in mind I have only personally known 3 people who have had modern Ducatis and all three had issues. HOWEVER, if the only people I personally knew that had CB1100's were JohnF514, Magnus and Dave, with their idle issues, I would have to give the same response if you were asking about the CB1100 and we all know the vast majority of CB1100s run just fine.

I think the fear of issues and expensive maintenance on Ducati's is warranted due to circumstantial evidence (there is some truth in all stereotypes) and the same goes for KTM, BMW and Moto Guzzi for that matter, but there are people who own them that just love them, and the bikes provide a visual and tactile stimulation that bikes with greater reliability and low maintenance records may not provide.
 
I currently own a CB1100 but did for three years own a 2000 Ducati ST4. As a sport tourer it was one of my favorite bikes. It was not without its issues however. Mechanically the bike was strong and never gave me a problem. The issues I had centered around the fragility of many of the other components, primarily the fairing and its mounting. As an example the front of the fairing at the lower center mounted to the bike via two threaded little extensions on the lower cam cover. These were extremely fragile and broke regularly. This necessitated the replacement of the cam cover (a piece about 2"X 4") at a cost of over $100.

On a positive note there is nothing like the sound of a 90 degree V-twin at full song. My earlier Honda VTR Firestorm (Canadian name) had that same marvelous sound.
 
I used to own a Ducati Paul Smart Sport Classic. It was a lovely bike to look at but it was the most uncomfortable bike to ride that I've owned and that list includes a 916. They also suffer badly with plastic fuel tank swelling. Mine was starting to get a little out of shape and that is on uk unleaded. I traded it as I didn't really enjoy riding it and ended up buying a 94 900 Superlight whilst I still owned the Paul Smart as that was more fun to use. The PS has the ohlins suspension and whilst it was supposed to be a lot better than the lesser plain sport classics they still weren't that good and the aging Showas on my 94 Superlight were better (I still have the superlight) . The sport classics seem to be going up in value these days (darn sold mine when they weren't that loved) but I think there are better ducatis out there for riding than these (if not looking at).
 
I had a 2005 Monster 1000 i.e. in Senna. It was a fantastic bike and was rock solid. Valve maintenance was a bit more work than other bikes but not so complex that it was unusual by any means. I truly loved the bike and really enjoyed riding it. I loved that it was air cooled (the water-cooled monsters were just starting to take over at the time) with one less thing to worry about.

Ducati of today is a very different company. The cost-savings corporate bandits have hit hardest in manufacturing and quality has suffered. I've seen more and more people complaining about electrical gremlins and other really odd problems. (The poly tank issue has affected other manufacturers (KTM in particular) that are using them and I think this is due to ethanol fuels more than quality, but that's just my opinion).

I would not buy another Ducati because of the recent quality issues. They were never rock-solid but of late I seem to read and hear so much about their problems.

Anyways, seeing as we're talking about it, here's a pic. It was a gorgeous bike!
 
Thread starter
camoto_imp said:
I had a 2005 Monster 1000 i.e. in Senna. It was a fantastic bike and was rock solid. Valve maintenance was a bit more work than other bikes but not so complex that it was unusual by any means. I truly loved the bike and really enjoyed riding it. I loved that it was air cooled (the water-cooled monsters were just starting to take over at the time) with one less thing to worry about.

Ducati of today is a very different company. The cost-savings corporate bandits have hit hardest in manufacturing and quality has suffered. I've seen more and more people complaining about electrical gremlins and other really odd problems. (The poly tank issue has affected other manufacturers (KTM in particular) that are using them and I think this is due to ethanol fuels more than quality, but that's just my opinion).

I would not buy another Ducati because of the recent quality issues. They were never rock-solid but of late I seem to read and hear so much about their problems.

Anyways, seeing as we're talking about it, here's a pic. It was a gorgeous bike!

That was indeed a gorgeous bike. Thanks for your insights. Much appreciated.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Macduff_imp said:
I used to own a Ducati Paul Smart Sport Classic. It was a lovely bike to look at but it was the most uncomfortable bike to ride that I've owned and that list includes a 916. They also suffer badly with plastic fuel tank swelling. Mine was starting to get a little out of shape and that is on uk unleaded. I traded it as I didn't really enjoy riding it and ended up buying a 94 900 Superlight whilst I still owned the Paul Smart as that was more fun to use. The PS has the ohlins suspension and whilst it was supposed to be a lot better than the lesser plain sport classics they still weren't that good and the aging Showas on my 94 Superlight were better (I still have the superlight) . The sport classics seem to be going up in value these days (darn sold mine when they weren't that loved) but I think there are better ducatis out there for riding than these (if not looking at).

So I am interested in the Sport Classics myself and am aware of the tank swelling issue due to the material. The PS is definitely out of the question for me because of the riding position... looks amazing stationary but esp for someone with inseams my length, the torture rack just won't work for me.

Thanks for sharing with me your insights and perspective.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I had a Diavel that I bought new and also had a bit of work done to it - lightened flywheel, racetuner, quickshifter etc. It hated being ridden below 4000rpm, even when in stock form. It used to surge which made it a real pita to ride around town. Had a specialist try to tune it out but never really fixed the problem
But did I love it, heck yes and that noise is sweet
Would I buy another Ducati for an every day bike, no!
 
Here's my '06 Monster 620. It's the baby brother to camoto's 1000.

61edb979afc61683f536cc08303fb749.jpg
 
COCB1100_imp said:
camoto_imp said:
I had a 2005 Monster 1000 i.e. in Senna. It was a fantastic bike and was rock solid. Valve maintenance was a bit more work than other bikes but not so complex that it was unusual by any means. I truly loved the bike and really enjoyed riding it. I loved that it was air cooled (the water-cooled monsters were just starting to take over at the time) with one less thing to worry about.

Ducati of today is a very different company. The cost-savings corporate bandits have hit hardest in manufacturing and quality has suffered. I've seen more and more people complaining about electrical gremlins and other really odd problems. (The poly tank issue has affected other manufacturers (KTM in particular) that are using them and I think this is due to ethanol fuels more than quality, but that's just my opinion).

I would not buy another Ducati because of the recent quality issues. They were never rock-solid but of late I seem to read and hear so much about their problems.

Anyways, seeing as we're talking about it, here's a pic. It was a gorgeous bike!

That was indeed a gorgeous bike. Thanks for your insights. Much appreciated.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Macduff_imp said:
I used to own a Ducati Paul Smart Sport Classic. It was a lovely bike to look at but it was the most uncomfortable bike to ride that I've owned and that list includes a 916. They also suffer badly with plastic fuel tank swelling. Mine was starting to get a little out of shape and that is on uk unleaded. I traded it as I didn't really enjoy riding it and ended up buying a 94 900 Superlight whilst I still owned the Paul Smart as that was more fun to use. The PS has the ohlins suspension and whilst it was supposed to be a lot better than the lesser plain sport classics they still weren't that good and the aging Showas on my 94 Superlight were better (I still have the superlight) . The sport classics seem to be going up in value these days (darn sold mine when they weren't that loved) but I think there are better ducatis out there for riding than these (if not looking at).

So I am interested in the Sport Classics myself and am aware of the tank swelling issue due to the material. The PS is definitely out of the question for me because of the riding position... looks amazing stationary but esp for someone with inseams my length, the torture rack just won't work for me.

Thanks for sharing with me your insights and perspective.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the only Sport Classic that didn't require arms longer than your legs was the GT, this one had bars attached to the top of the top yoke/triple. The others the Sport Classic Mono (same as the PS but without the fairing and badge, usually coloured yellow?) and the Sport Classic Biposto, same bodywork as the PS (but in red) which had a dual rear swingarm and dual seat. These models all had same /similar rider ergos with a long reach to the clip-ons. I did fit the popular at the time mod of using ST4S clip-ons but even with the extra height and pull back of these the ride position was still extreme. I think Ducati offered a higher bar clip on kit but it wasn't much of an improvement imo.
Pic of mine with a Zard exhaust and ST4S wheels which I used in place of the oem spoked wheels (I hated cleaning those).
 
ferret your a world of knowledge , friend had a Ducati 150 when we were both 14 and i pulled him home with a rope tied to my Super 90 . he rides a Harley now and we laughed about that last week at Harley Bike night.
50+ years of friendship and motorcycles , Life is Good
 
I had a mate who had a Ducati Monster 690. He loved it at first, but it developed an intermittent fault. The Ducati dealer insisted there was nothing wrong with it until, conveniently or otherwise, the warranty expired. He sold it and bought a Honda.

I rode with him one day when he first had it and thought it a great little bike.

On the subject of ropes and towing, back in the 70s my Suzuki 250 blew a spark plug out of the head in the middle of the night on the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere. A mate, who didn't have an open license, lent me his Honda CB350 and, with his girlfriend on the back, he towed me to our destination.
 
Cormanus, how does your licensing work in Oz?
 
Thread starter
Macduff_imp said:
COCB1100_imp said:
camoto_imp said:
I had a 2005 Monster 1000 i.e. in Senna. It was a fantastic bike and was rock solid. Valve maintenance was a bit more work than other bikes but not so complex that it was unusual by any means. I truly loved the bike and really enjoyed riding it. I loved that it was air cooled (the water-cooled monsters were just starting to take over at the time) with one less thing to worry about.

Ducati of today is a very different company. The cost-savings corporate bandits have hit hardest in manufacturing and quality has suffered. I've seen more and more people complaining about electrical gremlins and other really odd problems. (The poly tank issue has affected other manufacturers (KTM in particular) that are using them and I think this is due to ethanol fuels more than quality, but that's just my opinion).

I would not buy another Ducati because of the recent quality issues. They were never rock-solid but of late I seem to read and hear so much about their problems.

Anyways, seeing as we're talking about it, here's a pic. It was a gorgeous bike!

That was indeed a gorgeous bike. Thanks for your insights. Much appreciated.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Macduff_imp said:
I used to own a Ducati Paul Smart Sport Classic. It was a lovely bike to look at but it was the most uncomfortable bike to ride that I've owned and that list includes a 916. They also suffer badly with plastic fuel tank swelling. Mine was starting to get a little out of shape and that is on uk unleaded. I traded it as I didn't really enjoy riding it and ended up buying a 94 900 Superlight whilst I still owned the Paul Smart as that was more fun to use. The PS has the ohlins suspension and whilst it was supposed to be a lot better than the lesser plain sport classics they still weren't that good and the aging Showas on my 94 Superlight were better (I still have the superlight) . The sport classics seem to be going up in value these days (darn sold mine when they weren't that loved) but I think there are better ducatis out there for riding than these (if not looking at).

So I am interested in the Sport Classics myself and am aware of the tank swelling issue due to the material. The PS is definitely out of the question for me because of the riding position... looks amazing stationary but esp for someone with inseams my length, the torture rack just won't work for me.

Thanks for sharing with me your insights and perspective.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the only Sport Classic that didn't require arms longer than your legs was the GT, this one had bars attached to the top of the top yoke/triple. The others the Sport Classic Mono (same as the PS but without the fairing and badge, usually coloured yellow?) and the Sport Classic Biposto, same bodywork as the PS (but in red) which had a dual rear swingarm and dual seat. These models all had same /similar rider ergos with a long reach to the clip-ons. I did fit the popular at the time mod of using ST4S clip-ons but even with the extra height and pull back of these the ride position was still extreme. I think Ducati offered a higher bar clip on kit but it wasn't much of an improvement imo.
Pic of mine with a Zard exhaust and ST4S wheels which I used in place of the oem spoked wheels (I hated cleaning those).
I think the only Sport Classic that didn't require arms longer than your legs was the GT, this one had bars attached to the top of the top yoke/triple. The others the Sport Classic Mono (same as the PS but without the fairing and badge, usually coloured yellow?) and the Sport Classic Biposto, same bodywork as the PS (but in red) which had a dual rear swingarm and dual seat. These models all had same /similar rider ergos with a long reach to the clip-ons. I did fit the popular at the time mod of using ST4S clip-ons but even with the extra height and pull back of these the ride position was still extreme. I think Ducati offered a higher bar clip on kit but it wasn't much of an improvement imo.
Pic of mine with a Zard exhaust and ST4S wheels which I used in place of the oem spoked wheels (I hated cleaning those).

Yeah, I know the GT would be the only one that would work for me with respect to ergos. It's why I love the CB. Your PS was beautiful. Why did you sell? Hopefully you were able to cash out for a good windfall given what the PS has done in terms of resale of late.

Don't you miss the throb and thrum of the motor though? Or do you prefer the CB's sound at this point in your life?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
COCB1100_imp said:
Macduff_imp said:
COCB1100_imp said:
camoto_imp said:
I had a 2005 Monster 1000 i.e. in Senna. It was a fantastic bike and was rock solid. Valve maintenance was a bit more work than other bikes but not so complex that it was unusual by any means. I truly loved the bike and really enjoyed riding it. I loved that it was air cooled (the water-cooled monsters were just starting to take over at the time) with one less thing to worry about.

Ducati of today is a very different company. The cost-savings corporate bandits have hit hardest in manufacturing and quality has suffered. I've seen more and more people complaining about electrical gremlins and other really odd problems. (The poly tank issue has affected other manufacturers (KTM in particular) that are using them and I think this is due to ethanol fuels more than quality, but that's just my opinion).

I would not buy another Ducati because of the recent quality issues. They were never rock-solid but of late I seem to read and hear so much about their problems.

Anyways, seeing as we're talking about it, here's a pic. It was a gorgeous bike!

That was indeed a gorgeous bike. Thanks for your insights. Much appreciated.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Macduff_imp said:
I used to own a Ducati Paul Smart Sport Classic. It was a lovely bike to look at but it was the most uncomfortable bike to ride that I've owned and that list includes a 916. They also suffer badly with plastic fuel tank swelling. Mine was starting to get a little out of shape and that is on uk unleaded. I traded it as I didn't really enjoy riding it and ended up buying a 94 900 Superlight whilst I still owned the Paul Smart as that was more fun to use. The PS has the ohlins suspension and whilst it was supposed to be a lot better than the lesser plain sport classics they still weren't that good and the aging Showas on my 94 Superlight were better (I still have the superlight) . The sport classics seem to be going up in value these days (darn sold mine when they weren't that loved) but I think there are better ducatis out there for riding than these (if not looking at).

So I am interested in the Sport Classics myself and am aware of the tank swelling issue due to the material. The PS is definitely out of the question for me because of the riding position... looks amazing stationary but esp for someone with inseams my length, the torture rack just won't work for me.

Thanks for sharing with me your insights and perspective.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the only Sport Classic that didn't require arms longer than your legs was the GT, this one had bars attached to the top of the top yoke/triple. The others the Sport Classic Mono (same as the PS but without the fairing and badge, usually coloured yellow?) and the Sport Classic Biposto, same bodywork as the PS (but in red) which had a dual rear swingarm and dual seat. These models all had same /similar rider ergos with a long reach to the clip-ons. I did fit the popular at the time mod of using ST4S clip-ons but even with the extra height and pull back of these the ride position was still extreme. I think Ducati offered a higher bar clip on kit but it wasn't much of an improvement imo.
Pic of mine with a Zard exhaust and ST4S wheels which I used in place of the oem spoked wheels (I hated cleaning those).
I think the only Sport Classic that didn't require arms longer than your legs was the GT, this one had bars attached to the top of the top yoke/triple. The others the Sport Classic Mono (same as the PS but without the fairing and badge, usually coloured yellow?) and the Sport Classic Biposto, same bodywork as the PS (but in red) which had a dual rear swingarm and dual seat. These models all had same /similar rider ergos with a long reach to the clip-ons. I did fit the popular at the time mod of using ST4S clip-ons but even with the extra height and pull back of these the ride position was still extreme. I think Ducati offered a higher bar clip on kit but it wasn't much of an improvement imo.
Pic of mine with a Zard exhaust and ST4S wheels which I used in place of the oem spoked wheels (I hated cleaning those).

Yeah, I know the GT would be the only one that would work for me with respect to ergos. It's why I love the CB. Your PS was beautiful. Why did you sell? Hopefully you were able to cash out for a good windfall given what the PS has done in terms of resale of late.

Don't you miss the throb and thrum of the motor though? Or do you prefer the CB's sound at this point in your life?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the only Sport Classic that didn't require arms longer than your legs was the GT, this one had bars attached to the top of the top yoke/triple. The others the Sport Classic Mono (same as the PS but without the fairing and badge, usually coloured yellow?) and the Sport Classic Biposto, same bodywork as the PS (but in red) which had a dual rear swingarm and dual seat. These models all had same /similar rider ergos with a long reach to the clip-ons. I did fit the popular at the time mod of using ST4S clip-ons but even with the extra height and pull back of these the ride position was still extreme. I think Ducati offered a higher bar clip on kit but it wasn't much of an improvement imo.
Pic of mine with a Zard exhaust and ST4S wheels which I used in place of the oem spoked wheels (I hated cleaning those).

Yeah, I know the GT would be the only one that would work for me with respect to ergos. It's why I love the CB. Your PS was beautiful. Why did you sell? Hopefully you were able to cash out for a good windfall given what the PS has done in terms of resale of late.

Don't you miss the throb and thrum of the motor though? Or do you prefer the CB's sound at this point in your life?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I bought this superlight whilst I still had the PS. I had originally got the Paul Smart (PS) as I was seeking a modern duc that reminded me of the fun I had on my 1st superlight that I owned in the 90s, I soon realised the PS was just an instrument of torture hence the 2nd go at superlight ownership. Not long after getting the 2nd SL the PS was gone, traded and no they weren't on the up when I traded it :/. I still have this SL though it doesn't get ridden as much these days given I'm older and it seems less comfortable than when it usurped the PS.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Cormanus, how does your licensing work in Oz?
At the time of the event described, it was a wonderfully simple process. Once you were 16 or over, you went to the Transport Department, paid $1 and were issued with a learner's permit. There were very few limitations on what you could do. You had to display a yellow plate with a black "L" on the rear of the bike, you were not allowed to carry a pillion and there may have been a maximum speed limit, but I can't remember. Curiously, there was no test at all. You could ride on the road immediately.

As soon as you turned 17 you were eligible for a provisional license. To get one you had to sit a written test and a licensing officer would take you outside and ask you to ride around the block so he could pretend to get some idea of whether you knew what you were doing. For 12 months you had to display a white plate with a red "P" on the back of the bike and were not allowed to carry a pillion. After 12 months both those restrictions were lifted.

It's a completely different story these days. You can't get a learner's permit without:

(a) having held a provisional or open car license for at least 1 year
(b) successfully complete a pre-learner course which includes some riding
© pass a 'motorcycle knowledge test'*; and,
(d) be medically fit.

In some Australian jurisdictions, there's a period during which you must be supervised by a person who has held an open license and, unless they are in a sidecar, they must be on another bike or in a car. You are limited to riding what are known as Learner Approved Motorcycles (LAMS) which are restricted in size and power. You can then get a provisional license but you continue to be allowed to ride only LAMS bikes.

After a two years you can learn to ride an unrestricted bike. For one year you must ride under the direction of a person who holds an unrestricted licence. After that, if you get an unrestricted licence you can ride what you like.

There's information, including an explanation of bikes allowed under the LAM Scheme, and links to other pages here. There may be slight variations in other Australian States.

* Don't ask me why the © appears as it does. It's beyond any ability of mine to stop it.
 
Strange... I couldn't fix it either Cormanus
 
Back
Top