CB1100 2017 - How to have turn signal always on

mrbi0_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi everyone,

Last week i've went to dealer, left my '14 CB1100 and brought the '17 (side note: absolutely loving it!).

I've seen some japanese videos of the bike with the orange turning signal light always on. A little dimed, not the actual turning light. I guess similar to the '16 Africa Twin for instance.

As i understand, in some countries that's mandatory and I don't think there will much of changes in the CB so, I wonder if this is something simple to change in the electricals...

(never thought about it in the '14 model until now)

Anyone ?
 
The front (amber) lights in the US function as running lights ( always on) and turn signals ( flash). THe rear light ( red) only function as turn signals ( flash).

Is that what you are asking?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
The front (amber) lights in the US function as running lights ( always on) and turn signals ( flash). THe rear light ( red) only function as turn signals ( flash).

Is that what you are asking?
Not quite ;)

You see this video:
It starts with a bike running and light from the turn signals.

Just rode yesterday with a friend of mine that has an Honda Africa Twin and at night I can see the headlight and also the turn signals light. When he turns, they are brighter and they flash.



Mine has just the headlight and the turn signals only when I turn, they're not always on.
Did I manage to explain it better ?
 
Yes, apparently in Portugal, it is not required to have running lights.(amber turn signals on at all times)
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Yes, apparently in Portugal, it is not required to have running lights.(amber turn signals on at all times)
But I want to ! :P
Increases visibility when riding at night (and I think it's quite stylish also ;))

Any idea how ?
 
Bet popgun could figure it out. He's an electrical savant
 
I don't know about a savant, but I an an electronics tech! Mostly on radar nowadays. I could send Mrbi0 a US wiring diagram and he could compare it with his version. It probably isn't a big change and hopefully could be easily done. Or he could send his I could take a look.

Apparently different countries got different wiring. Or at least some did. From corresponding with a Russian member the two of us figured that out pretty quick.

Edit to add: I see in another thread that you have a new 2017! Congrats! I would like to see the wiring diagram for that. It is likely pretty much the same, but it does have LED lights too, so there may be some differences.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I don't know about a savant, but I an an electronics tech! Mostly on radar nowadays. I could send Mrbi0 a US wiring diagram and he could compare it with his version. It probably isn't a big change and hopefully could be easily done. Or he could send his I could take a look.

Apparently different countries got different wiring. Or at least some did. From corresponding with a Russian member the two of us figured that out pretty quick.

Edit to add: I see in another thread that you have a new 2017! Congrats! I would like to see the wiring diagram for that. It is likely pretty much the same, but it does have LED lights too, so there may be some differences.
Glad to help and share the wiring with you to see if we can figure it out ;)

Just so I understand, does the US wiring have the "always on" feature ?
 
Yes. The front signals are always on. They blink when you select left or right turn signals or emergency flasher.

I took a quick look at the wiring diagram and all that is controlled by the Turn Signal-Position Relay. It has two 4 pin connectors

The bulbs are connected to chassis ground on one side and the other goes directly to the relay. Switch inputs also go there to tell it to flash the signals or blink all the lights if the emergency flasher is selected.

It MAY be as easy as swapping in a TurnSignal-Position Relay from a US model, or a European model that has front signals on all the time. Would have to see a diagram for your bike.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Yes. The front signals are always on. They blink when you select left or right turn signals or emergency flasher.

I took a quick look at the wiring diagram and all that is controlled by the Turn Signal-Position Relay. It has two 4 pin connectors

The bulbs are connected to chassis ground on one side and the other goes directly to the relay. Switch inputs also go there to tell it to flash the signals or blink all the lights if the emergency flasher is selected.

It MAY be as easy as swapping in a TurnSignal-Position Relay from a US model, or a European model that has front signals on all the time. Would have to see a diagram for your bike.
How would you compare your new 2017 to your 2014?
Suspension and exhaust would seem to be the obvious ones but what say you?

Tks
John
 
Jmac, you have to ask MrBi0, I have a '13. I'm just trying to help MrB with his new '17.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Yes. The front signals are always on. They blink when you select left or right turn signals or emergency flasher.

I took a quick look at the wiring diagram and all that is controlled by the Turn Signal-Position Relay. It has two 4 pin connectors

The bulbs are connected to chassis ground on one side and the other goes directly to the relay. Switch inputs also go there to tell it to flash the signals or blink all the lights if the emergency flasher is selected.

It MAY be as easy as swapping in a TurnSignal-Position Relay from a US model, or a European model that has front signals on all the time. Would have to see a diagram for your bike.

I also suspect it's that simple.

Later today I'll try to take a picture and post it here
thanks
jmac777_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Yes. The front signals are always on. They blink when you select left or right turn signals or emergency flasher.

I took a quick look at the wiring diagram and all that is controlled by the Turn Signal-Position Relay. It has two 4 pin connectors

The bulbs are connected to chassis ground on one side and the other goes directly to the relay. Switch inputs also go there to tell it to flash the signals or blink all the lights if the emergency flasher is selected.

It MAY be as easy as swapping in a TurnSignal-Position Relay from a US model, or a European model that has front signals on all the time. Would have to see a diagram for your bike.
How would you compare your new 2017 to your 2014?
Suspension and exhaust would seem to be the obvious ones but what say you?

Tks
John

Much better ! :)

Feels lighter (it's not), shorter (5mm which with my height was just the different between toes and foot on the ground) and smother (somehow seems it curves better... a little to better since it has some oversteering - probably fixed by adjusting the pre load in the front).

Suspension is overall better but a little sportier in the sense that is a little more harder. Again, pre load adjustments might change that although I like to speed and "lay down" on the curves so I prefer like it is

Clutch is significantly better, being very very easy to shift gears (almost no effort on the clutch lever)

Exhaust might be the less practical change, since it doesn't give you any sense of improvement buuuut.... the noise :o those Honda sound engineers know what they're doing and you now have a louder, hoarse noise although maintaining the inline smothness.

Hope it helps :)
 
The always on front signals on the US bikes is controlled by the turn signal flasher relay under the gas tank. If he has a 2017 with LED's, he'd have to swap or find the part for the same model year USA bike (assuming the USA bike also has LED's).
 
Back
Top