CB1000R

These things didn't seem to do that well in terms of sales. Our local dealer had a red white and blue one that sat there since 2013 (yeah, I know right) and was finally discounted $5k. Was very tempted to pick it up, as they were nice bikes.
 
I swore I was going to get the CB1000R after I sold my CB1100. The CB1100 has terrible driveline slop and snatchy fueling. All the reviews said the CB1000R had no slop and perfect fueling. But , in person the bike is very plastic and cheap looking with the ugliest fairing/headlight (in my opinion). If that doesnt bother you it gets rave reviews and ,like kmoney says, they are dirt cheap . New ones in Wichita for $7995.00 last time I searched.
 
dirt road_imp said:
I swore I was going to get the CB1000R after I sold my CB1100. The CB1100 has terrible driveline slop and snatchy fueling. All the reviews said the CB1000R had no slop and perfect fueling. But , in person the bike is very plastic and cheap looking with the ugliest fairing/headlight (in my opinion). If that doesnt bother you it gets rave reviews and ,like kmoney says, they are dirt cheap . New ones in Wichita for $7995.00 last time I searched.
??? You're serious? Terrible driveline slop simply means your chain was massively out of adjustment. Snatchy fueling...that could be the first time I've read that complaint on this forum, and I've read nearly every post and reply. Count me baffled :huh:
 
kvdv_imp said:
dirt road_imp said:
I swore I was going to get the CB1000R after I sold my CB1100. The CB1100 has terrible driveline slop and snatchy fueling. All the reviews said the CB1000R had no slop and perfect fueling. But , in person the bike is very plastic and cheap looking with the ugliest fairing/headlight (in my opinion). If that doesnt bother you it gets rave reviews and ,like kmoney says, they are dirt cheap . New ones in Wichita for $7995.00 last time I searched.
??? You're serious? Terrible driveline slop simply means your chain was massively out of adjustment. Snatchy fueling...that could be the first time I've read that complaint on this forum, and I've read nearly every post and reply. Count me baffled :huh:
??? You're serious? Terrible driveline slop simply means your chain was massively out of adjustment. Snatchy fueling...that could be the first time I've read that complaint on this forum, and I've read nearly every post and reply. Count me baffled :huh:
Yeah I didn't notice that at all. But I will say this, all fuel injected bikes have more sensitive throttles than carbs. So I am not overly sensitive to that. My bikes have often had some driveline lash, but having grown up on dirt bikes, not an issue for me either. I like the CB1000R myself. Just a motor and wheels. I'm in.
 
dirt road

i guess , only "that" bike that "you" drove was not ok ...and not the cb1000r modell self is nothing/ has lacks
 
I met a guy on Youtube who has one in Germany since 2012. Still have it?, I asked. Yup, he said. It's a white onboard video. I'll see if I can find it.
 
alprider_imp said:
dirt road

i guess , only "that" bike that "you" drove was not ok ...and not the cb1000r modell self is nothing/ has lacks
Stop guessing and read it again. I did not like the looks of the bike when I saw it in person. It drove GREAT. Fueling was excellent and the driveline was as smooth as my old 919. Now I want the new 2018 that they changed the looks on drastically.
 
I just had a chance to review the specs on the new 2018 model of the CB1000R and I think I got to have me some of that. I feel like Honda designed and built that machine specifically for me. I took a pass a few years ago as the earlier version was just too heavy to be as agile as I wanted, and the ergonomics weren't right for me.

At first I though it looked a bit unusual but then again, so does my 2017 Z900R. Honda just pared the bike down to the bare functional necessities.

The petite nature of the bike is perfect, it's light, just under my maximum desirable weight criteria of 215 Kg, looks like excellent geometry, good suspension and brakes, good riding position. Plenty of power and torque, ride by wire, traction control, ABS.

This will be the bike to get the Honda name back into my garage.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
I just had a chance to review the specs on the new 2018 model of the CB1000R and I think I got to have me some of that. I feel like Honda designed and built that machine specifically for me. I took a pass a few years ago as the earlier version was just too heavy to be as agile as I wanted, and the ergonomics weren't right for me.

At first I though it looked a bit unusual but then again, so does my 2017 Z900R. Honda just pared the bike down to the bare functional necessities.

The petite nature of the bike is perfect, it's light, just under my maximum desirable weight criteria of 215 Kg, looks like excellent geometry, good suspension and brakes, good riding position. Plenty of power and torque, ride by wire, traction control, ABS.

This will be the bike to get the Honda name back into my garage.
This is something that the CB1000R has in common with most bikes now on the market. There is nothing that will warm the heart and the soul when looking at it.
Too functional, too watercooled, too cool anyway. The German word for it that comes to my mind is 'aalglatt'.

I don't like bikes build this way no matter how good they are technically. But what should one expect from a guy who owns lovely looking and good riding retro bikes and is deeply nostalgic when it comes to motorbikes?

Wisedrum
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
I just had a chance to review the specs on the new 2018 model of the CB1000R and I think I got to have me some of that. I feel like Honda designed and built that machine specifically for me. I took a pass a few years ago as the earlier version was just too heavy to be as agile as I wanted, and the ergonomics weren't right for me.

At first I though it looked a bit unusual but then again, so does my 2017 Z900R. Honda just pared the bike down to the bare functional necessities.

The petite nature of the bike is perfect, it's light, just under my maximum desirable weight criteria of 215 Kg, looks like excellent geometry, good suspension and brakes, good riding position. Plenty of power and torque, ride by wire, traction control, ABS.

This will be the bike to get the Honda name back into my garage.
This is something that the CB1000R has in common with most bikes now on the market. There is nothing that will warm the heart and the soul when looking at it.
Too functional, too watercooled, too cool anyway. The German word for it that comes to my mind is 'aalglatt'.

I don't like bikes build this way no matter how good they are technically. But what should one expect from a guy who owns lovely looking and good riding retro bikes and is deeply nostalgic when it comes to motorbikes?

Wisedrum
This is something that the CB1000R has in common with most bikes now on the market. There is nothing that will warm the heart and the soul when looking at it.
Too functional, too watercooled, too cool anyway. The German word for it that comes to my mind is 'aalglatt'.

I don't like bikes build this way no matter how good they are technically. But what should one expect from a guy who owns lovely looking and good riding retro bikes and is deeply nostalgic when it comes to motorbikes?

Wisedrum That's ironic you mention the German term "aalglatt" as sort of a "meh" since German engineering of the mid-20th century was so superior, and so superbly functional in this exact way. I think of the Focke-Wulf, Messerschmitt, and Junkers aircraft, just exemplary of pure mechanical engineering. I love the appearance of pretty every German aircraft from that era. Don't mind the Eurofighter, either. The Fw 190, He 111, Ju 88, even that tin goose, the Ju 52. So this Honda CB1000R motorcycle is reminiscent of that design philosophy. Excellent! A modern classic which will be "retro" when bikes look like the new BMW self-balancing thing:
bdeea29cd3a1908c3ad35204c660fce9.jpg


I have had many retro/classic styled bikes and currently own a few. That is of course what drew me to the CB1100 which I owned for three years. I like anything with two wheels.
 
I felt never drawn to anything that was build to destroy something. Aircrafts/Eurofighter fall into this category. Don't like any kind of weapons wether in the air, water or land. They all should be banned ....and by no means would compare them to motorbikes, which are build for pure joy and not for destruction. I didn't had this association in mind with my german term.

What I meant was much more, that the appearance of the CB1000R looks not wrinkeld enough in my eyes as an aircooled engine does despite other modern effects of not having parallel rear schocks and so on.

But desgin is a wide field with all its likes and dislikes.

Wisedrum
 
That CB1000R leaves me a bit cold too, just like most contemporary bikes these days, but that's okay. It's doubtful I'm the target demographic.
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
I felt never drawn to anything that was build to destroy something. Aircrafts/Eurofighter fall into this category. Don't like any kind of weapons wether in the air, water or land. They all should be banned ....and by no means would compare them to motorbikes, which are build for pure joy and not for destruction. I didn't had this association in mind with my german term.

What I meant was much more, that the appearance of the CB1000R looks not wrinkeld enough in my eyes as an aircooled engine does despite other modern effects of not having parallel rear schocks and so on.

But desgin is a wide field with all its likes and dislikes.

Wisedrum
I appreciate your perspective and since we don't do politics here, we'll leave it at that.

I can backtrack, though, to before WWII, when Germany was building the world's most beautiful gliders and had the most innovative airliners and exciting and well-attended flying clubs. Charles Lindbergh was a famous guest who greatly appreciated German aviation progress at the time. So was James Doolittle, the great American air racing pilot. It was all about having fun back in those days, just the joy of flight.

So the design of a bike must be like the kind of oil you use or something. LOL I think air-cooled bikes should use mineral-based oil, and liquid-cooled bikes should only use synthetic. Keeping it real!

Well enough banter. I like this bike, I'll keep my eyes on it.

Oh yes, I wanted to say also very ironically, the design of the 2018 CB1000R is pure, unvarnished Bauhaus.



Bauhaus Wasilly Chair

Of all the chairs to come out of the Bauhaus, this is the one that commonly comes to mind. Designed by Marcel Breuer, the Wasilly chair is a mix of steel and leather, using no more material than is absolutely needed, while providing maximum comfort. It's a design you'll still find in homes today.
 
Lol you won't find that style of chairs in homes around here. Maybe at campsites. Sorta looks like a Cabelas camp chair.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol you won't find that style of chairs in homes around here. Maybe at campsites. Sorta looks like a Cabelas camp chair.
My furniture is hickory and bison hide. No Bauhaus. Funny that Bauhaus was supposed to be a model of lean efficiency but ended up being sort of artsy-fartsy.

But you gotta admit this is a thing of engineering beauty.

6aca1dcfe540606f9ea1a4d9e52c3a7b.jpg

BMW 801 aircraft engine
 
If you like the BMW 801, go to youtube and look for the only flying FW190 with an original 801. The plane is based in Seattle I believe.
 
Doc1961_imp said:
If you like the BMW 801, go to youtube and look for the only flying FW190 with an original 801. The plane is based in Seattle I believe.
The whole series was a superb group of aircraft. The Fw190, in my opinion, is the most aggressive-looking fighter to come out of WWII. Great airplanes. The Ta152 was really something. Extremely advanced technology, with nitrous oxide injection. The styling really is similar to the newest CB1000R, pure function.
 
Back
Top