CB more stable with Cut Down Shield

CIP57_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Its been a long time since I've had my shield off the bike. Weather has been nice this last past week and I've had it off for a few rides. I reported when i put it on that the bike felt more stable at speed ( 70 ) and the bike seemed to hold its line better.

This was all confirmed having been riding at least 5000mi with it on, it definitely puts more down pressure on the front end and lightens up the rear. The wind pressure with it off pushes your weight toward the back and with less down pressure on the front you really feel the e regular road condition straight up through the rear shocks. The bike holds its line through corners much better, and I'm amazed at how much more neutral it is with switchbacks.
Cheers

 
Taunting me aren't you? Lol

Ok I'm going out to ride my naked CB 1100 now.
 
Great ride! 43 miles of curves including "my road".

I THOUGHT about mounting up my shield today, but it got up to 85 today and I just couldn't do it ..had to ride naked lol
 
Supposed to rain here and get cooler too. Uggg may break my string of days ridden in a row.
 
So if you put a four foot high windshield on it it should feel so stable it'll feel like you're riding on rails. :rofl:

Seriously,
I bet your better front downforce feeling is due to the fact that the wind is no longer pushing your arms and body backward, and your arms actually feel like they are in control.
 
Thread starter
ClassicVW_imp said:
So if you put a four foot high windshield on it it should feel so stable it'll feel like you're riding on rails. :rofl:

Seriously,
I bet your better front downforce feeling is due to the fact that the wind is no longer pushing your arms and body backward, and your arms actually feel like they are in control.
George,

I'll try to keep this civil, this is the second time tonight you have stepped on one of my posts and threads.
If you have ever ridden a full on sport bike you would realize what a fairing and that shield up front is for, my shield is cut to the same height as my CBR1000RR and my XX blackbird. The wind will catch you right at your collarbone. More mass with the same angle as the forks = down-force.

If you don't have something constructive to say its better left unsaid.

Cheers

Edit: Block me if you don't like or agree with what i have to say but don't step on my post or threads anymore.
 
I have been considering doing the same thing. I have terrible noise with the EX; earplugs don't do enough my ears still ring after a longride. I am concerned about the wind under my chin riding during cold weather. Suggestions?
 
Dakota_imp said:
I have been considering doing the same thing. I have terrible noise with the EX; earplugs don't do enough my ears still ring after a longride. I am concerned about the wind under my chin riding during cold weather. Suggestions?
I have ridden in 35° weather out here commuting and I just wear a warm jacket with a high collar. You can also wear a scarf if the need arises or even a ski mask under your helmet, just don't go into any banks. :D
 
Thread starter
Dakota_imp said:
I have been considering doing the same thing. I have terrible noise with the EX; earplugs don't do enough my ears still ring after a longride. I am concerned about the wind under my chin riding during cold weather. Suggestions?
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2696

The link above is where i found the sweet spot. I would consider it to be a 3 season shield. Buffeting is at a minimum with clean air and it takes the wind off your body, very similar to ridding a sport bike.

Try this link too:::
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1256

Edit: with a heated vest and balaclava I'm comfortable with the shield down to about 40 F
 
CIP,
How about lightening up and growing a sense of humor? I also didn't realize that you owned all the rights to all of your threads. Sorry, if you don't like what I post, the blocking is available to you too, and you'll never have to see one of my posts again.
 
CIP57,

I appreciate that you have spent a lot of time refining your screen until you have something that works effectively for you. For me, however, it looks too much like a screen that has been cut down (which, of course, it is). I think that you may have stated in a previous post that you should have rounded the corners more. I think that would help a lot to make it look more "finished" and less "home modified". After your encounter with ClassicVW however, I can only hope that you don't take offense at this comment...it is strictly personal opinion based on my design ethos as an industrial designer.

I actually purchased an EX along with my 2014, but have yet to install it...and now, after a summer of riding, I don't think that I ever will. Perhaps it is a combination of my size (6'-1", 220 LB) and the higher position of the 2014's headlight and pods, but I have no problem at all with buffeting, noise, wind pressure, or bike handling sans shield.

The more I look at my Brand New Street Shield EX (still sitting on a shelf in my workshop) the less I like the clamping arrangement that clutters the bars; and I especially dislike those unsightly lower rods and hose clamps that I fear will scar the fork tubes. If I ever do install a shield, I'd probably go with the Dart Flyscreen as it has a very clean mounting system and svelte overall appearance. It may even provide the type of added stability you experienced with your modified EX.

So, now that I have totally denigrated the Street Shield EX, chances are it will sit on my shelf for some time now ;)
 
I can tell you that the clamps did nothing to my forks, even with the accident. As far as not wanting to install the shield, my only thought is that you don't spend much time above 50 MPH then. I commute an hour each way to and from work every day and without it is was hanging on for dear life just to keep up with traffic and it was VERY tiring to be sure, but with it is an entirely different riding experience.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I can tell you that the clamps did nothing to my forks, even with the accident. As far as not wanting to install the shield, my only thought is that you don't spend much time above 50 MPH then. I commute an hour each way to and from work every day and without it is was hanging on for dear life just to keep up with traffic and it was VERY tiring to be sure, but with it is an entirely different riding experience.
Actually, I spend about half my riding time at 60 mph (100 kmph) or over. I was worried at first about it being tiring since all my previous bikes (heavy cruisers or sport touring) had full windshields or fairings, but I don't find it an issue anymore...besides, the CB1100 looks best naked IMHO.

I don't seem to be affected by much wind blast at any one point, and my new Nolan N-104 helmet just cuts through the still air like a knife :)
 
I picked up a MSA shield for Griso and the mounts that came with it (used affair) were metal but I noticed that black plastic/nylon were available so I bought two mounting kits; one for the Griso, one for the CB. This windscreen has a laminair lip on it which really makes it work quite well - and the plastic mounts will not scratch the bar.

It's a wee bit pricey though.

After a recent rally I discovered that a smaller bikini fairing did not cut the wind to my shoulders so after about 300 miles the arms and shoulders wanted to rest while my bum was just fine sitting on the Russell Day Long seat. Come this winter, wind protection up front will be even more critical.
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
I can tell you that the clamps did nothing to my forks, even with the accident. As far as not wanting to install the shield, my only thought is that you don't spend much time above 50 MPH then. I commute an hour each way to and from work every day and without it is was hanging on for dear life just to keep up with traffic and it was VERY tiring to be sure, but with it is an entirely different riding experience.

National cycle make a great product and a very secure attachment hardware. No vibration and one of the easiest on off of all the aftermarket shield. One of the better options out there for wind protection.
 
I do not like a shield on my bikes and never had one on any of them, I do not mind the wind ,even on an Interstate.
In the winter I use a scarf or my EVS RC1 neck collar, this really keeps the cold and noise down in your helmet.
I always use earplugs as well but the scarf/ collar helps greatly for noise reduction.
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
CIP57,

I appreciate that you have spent a lot of time refining your screen until you have something that works effectively for you. For me, however, it looks too much like a screen that has been cut down (which, of course, it is). I think that you may have stated in a previous post that you should have rounded the corners more. I think that would help a lot to make it look more "finished" and less "home modified". After your encounter with ClassicVW however, I can only hope that you don't take offense at this comment...it is strictly personal opinion based on my design ethos as an industrial designer.

I actually purchased an EX along with my 2014, but have yet to install it...and now, after a summer of riding, I don't think that I ever will. Perhaps it is a combination of my size (6'-1", 220 LB) and the higher position of the 2014's headlight and pods, but I have no problem at all with buffeting, noise, wind pressure, or bike handling sans shield.

The more I look at my Brand New Street Shield EX (still sitting on a shelf in my workshop) the less I like the clamping arrangement that clutters the bars; and I especially dislike those unsightly lower rods and hose clamps that I fear will scar the fork tubes. If I ever do install a shield, I'd probably go with the Dart Flyscreen as it has a very clean mounting system and svelte overall appearance. It may even provide the type of added stability you experienced with your modified EX.

So, now that I have totally denigrated the Street Shield EX, chances are it will sit on my shelf for some time now ;)
If you do decide on a windscreen I suggest the Puig off of Amazon. Mounts by slipping between the headlight bucket bolts, doesn't rattle, redirects the wind enough for me @ 6'4 and 324lbs, and best of all costs $45 shipped. A 6mm allen wrench and 1 minute it's off or on.
 
Back
Top