CB left me stranded today

Redbirds is this something that can be jumped or bypassed while on the road or is one just dead in the water if this happens?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Redbirds is this something that can be jumped or bypassed while on the road or is one just dead in the water if this happens?
If you could get the fuel pump to cycle, could one not bump start the bike?
 
Per the Recall, "Honda announced that it is recalling more than 45,000 motorcycles from the 2014 through 2016 model years to fix a potential problem with the starter relay switch."

Redbirds, what year is your CB?
Is this a reason to be happy having a 2013 model-lol.
 
redbirds_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
I like to do my own maintenance on my bikes when I can, but I'll readily admit to shying away from electrical issues because nobody every "learned me" and I haven't had to much with some simple exceptions. Cool that you were able to diagnose the trouble spot.

redbirds_imp said:
With shop manual in hand, eggs, bacon and three cups of coffee downed, started in on the problem this morning and quickly diagnosed.

The starter relay is defective. This relay is the first connection from battery and has two feeds, a 20 amp fused cable on the left and a 30 amp fused cable on the right. The right side cable from the relay feeds directly to the ignition switch. Whilst at roadside yesterday afternoon, I checked for battery on the left side cable only and battery was present there. I then checked both fuses with the multimeter and both were good so I assumed the trouble lay beyond this juncture. If I had checked the right side cable I would have found no battery. Going over all this morning I quickly discovered this and removed the relay and found it to be open on the field side of the fuse and thus not passing battery to the ignition switch.

Had to order a new starter relay at $67 and while speaking to the parts man was informed that Honda has a recall on two models now for this same problem. Unfortunately the CB not being one of them.
What does it take for an issue like this on a particular bike to come to Honda's attention so that they do announce a recall? Is it because dealerships report multiple cases, or because of customers contacting Honda directly? When riders fix the issue on their own, maybe it's best to contact Honda anyway so that they are made aware?
What does it take for an issue like this on a particular bike to come to Honda's attention so that they do announce a recall? Is it because dealerships report multiple cases, or because of customers contacting Honda directly? When riders fix the issue on their own, maybe it's best to contact Honda anyway so that they are made aware?
I called American Honda and spoke with a very helpful fellow, Randy. He took my VIN # and said that my contact would be noted. He also said that it would be good if I could get my dealer to look at the defective part and contact American Honda.
Followed the Service Recall from Honda from the other post:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM483041/RCRIT-15V439-3871.pdf

By looking at the list from the pdf from Honda, is there anyway to check if your bad relay switch numbers match the affected numbers listed?
 
rbike_imp said:
Per the Recall, "Honda announced that it is recalling more than 45,000 motorcycles from the 2014 through 2016 model years to fix a potential problem with the starter relay switch."

Redbirds, what year is your CB?
Is this a reason to be happy having a 2013 model-lol.
The bulletin excludes our beloved bike. Our bike is not affected by the recall no matter what year. Even our light, fast and tight turning 6 speed Black Beauties. :) But, you should be happy with your older five speed 2013 model anyway. Even though it is older. And a five speed. And not black. Actually it is an iridescent black, it changes colors depending on the light source. Under a full moon...well...:)
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Redbirds is this something that can be jumped or bypassed while on the road or is one just dead in the water if this happens?
I suppose it could be done but it would mean doing a bit of butchery on the factory wiring. I think I would rather get a tow to a dealer if I were far from home and hope that the part was in stock. I called all the dealers within 100 miles of here and none had the part in stock. Supposed to be in on Tuesday afternoon.
 
redbirds_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Redbirds is this something that can be jumped or bypassed while on the road or is one just dead in the water if this happens?
I suppose it could be done but it would mean doing a bit of butchery on the factory wiring. I think I would rather get a tow to a dealer if I were far from home and hope that the part was in stock. I called all the dealers within 100 miles of here and none had the part in stock. Supposed to be in on Tuesday afternoon.
I plan to take long-ish trips (OR to midwest) over the upcoming summers, and I like to pack fixes / parts for known issues, particularly if they pack well. Not saying this is a known issue for the CB1100--would think it an anomaly if not for the recall for other bikes. Worth keeping an eye on. Naturally, if I had a spare and traveled with it, the bike would run flawlessly.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I believe this is the first reported starter relay failure on the board.
It'll be interesting to watch. If enough failures come in, this could be one of those parts you carry as an extra in your toolkit (though kinda crappy at $67).
 
Well at this point it's certainly an anomoly. First one I have heard of and I have been on this board since day 1, and the bike has been out since 2010 and it is not a known issue. A few of is on the board have put some pretty fair mileage on our CBs which includes an awful lot of starts.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V439000 Component(s): Electrical System Potential Number of Units Affected: 45,153 Manufacturer: Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)
THE RECALL:
Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain model year 2013-2015 ST1300PA, 2014-2015 CB500, CBR500, CRF250L, CBR650, CTX700, NSS300, VT750, VT1300, 2015 CB300F, CBR300, CBR600, and 2014-2016 NC700 motorcycles. In the affected motorcycles, sealant may have been incorrectly applied to the starter relay switch, and as a result, th
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well at this point it's certainly an anomoly. First one I have heard of and I have been on this board since day 1, and the bike has been out since 2010 and it is not a known issue. A few of is on the board have put some pretty fair mileage on our CBs which includes an awful lot of starts.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V439000 Component(s): Electrical System Potential Number of Units Affected: 45,153 Manufacturer: Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)
THE RECALL:
Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain model year 2013-2015 ST1300PA, 2014-2015 CB500, CBR500, CRF250L, CBR650, CTX700, NSS300, VT750, VT1300, 2015 CB300F, CBR300, CBR600, and 2014-2016 NC700 motorcycles. In the affected motorcycles, sealant may have been incorrectly applied to the starter relay switch, and as a result, th
I knew someone would provide balance for me! I'm a new owner, one that doesn't have much history with this bike yet ...

It's not something I'll worry about, but I'm thankful for the information in case something similar happens at some point.
 
Well at least if it does happen, you know what to recommend to the service techs. That's info I will store away, but not worry about.
 
Thread starter
Maybe I should play the lottery. Pamela's V-strom decided to be difficult to start so I went after that trouble this afternoon. Turned out to be a bad clutch switch. It's a simple open-closed switch that creates a ground for the starter relay when the clutch is pulled in. A $9 switch so not too bad to replace except that Suzuki thought it would be a jam-up idea to mount it with a 3mm steel screw through the plastic switch housing and into the aluminum clutch lever mount, and smear the threads with plenty of blue thread lock. Had to break it off to get at that screw. Switch had corrosion inside and no dielectric grease. Very poor design Suzuki.
 
Buy a ticket, mate. Then you'll be able to trade those low quality Japanese motorcycles for some superbly engineered and finished US, British or European bikes! :P
 
Thread starter
Abashedly, an update on my CB. Although certain that I had discovered the problem as being the starter relay, I decided to take one more look at the relay with my multimeter. I'll blame a senior moment but rushing to judgement the truth, the starter relay is not defective; the ignition switch is. A check for battery inside the headlight housing on the connector to the ignition switch confirmed it. Connecting the multimeter leads across the switch side of the connector showed no continuity with the switch on. I sprayed contact cleaner into the switch and started working it on and off. After many such actions a nice 00.00 ohms reading finally showed. Reconnected the switch and voila, started right up.
 
arrggghhh ... man, you sent us into a panic for nothing? for a dirty switch?

Just messing with ya Steve. Glad it was really something simple. Now are you stuck with a $67 relay you don't really need?
 
The ferret_imp said:
arrggghhh ... man, you sent us into a panic for nothing? for a dirty switch?

Just messing with ya Steve. Glad it was really something simple. Now are you stuck with a $67 relay you don't really need?
:rofl: well, at least it was something simple.
To be truthful, this thread had put a bit of doubt in my mind - but only a little, bit.
This is the third new Honda I've had and have never had an electrical problem of any kind so I wasn't terribly worried.
 
Thread starter
The $67 relay will now go on the garage wall as a reminder to, as the carpenter said, "measure twice, cut once" or, "engage brain before taking action". :D
 
I'm very glad it was something you could easily fix - but sorry about the extra expense.

Perhaps you could return the part, with maybe just some kind of minor restocking fee?

Glad all is well, redbirds.
 
I can see you in the garage, redbirds, working the switch, all the while thinking, 'Geez, how am I going to explain this on the forum?'

Well done.
 
Back
Top