CB Eleven-Hundred Thousand Mile Club

ok Sanoke reported having turned 100,000 kms, not miles, but he was at 62,500 miles in 2016 shortly before he stopped coming to the forum, so who knows how many miles he would have by now if he still has his CB. Sure would be interesting to know..

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9730&highlight=Sanoke

So.... officially that moves Haystack up to #3 in the 100,000 mile club

and something he forgot.... Haystack replaced his fork seals at his 75,000 mile service
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
That it so incredible! You must ride the vast majority of your miles on the freeway, correct?
Our closest freeways are 110 mi. away to the north, 150 mi. to the south, over 100 mi. to the west and 400 mi. to the east. Most of my riding is on two-lane roads and highways. I've also done some short jaunts over gravel and dirt roads to explore but only during dry conditions. Last year we (the CB and I) went coast to coast and that was mostly on Interstate.

Thanks!
peterbaron_imp said:
Heystack, interesting and worthy report...
As to: "tires replaced and installed, 7 front and 14 rear"... how come 14 rear and 7 front...based on my mileage, my rears last 2-3 longer than fronts, totally opposite..
I rarely replace a tire that is completely worn. My rears usually have 30% remaining and the fronts a little more than that. If you can keep a secret between you and me, I've also extended front tire life at times by simply flipping the wheel around (but not the spacers!). Don't laugh...I've experienced no adverse affects by doing this although it is not recommended and experts will claim that it is dangerous for a multitude of reasons. I am not a performance rider.

On more than one occasion I've overestimated remaining tire life prior to departing on an extended trip and halfway though discover that the tire has worn completely out. I've discovered that very few shops carry these tires in stock and need to ordered.

Thanks,
 
Haystack_imp said:
Dave_imp said:
That it so incredible! You must ride the vast majority of your miles on the freeway, correct?
Our closest freeways are 110 mi. away to the north, 150 mi. to the south, over 100 mi. to the west and 400 mi. to the east. Most of my riding is on two-lane roads and highways. I've also done some short jaunts over gravel and dirt roads to explore but only during dry conditions. Last year we (the CB and I) went coast to coast and that was mostly on Interstate.

Thanks!
peterbaron_imp said:
Heystack, interesting and worthy report...
As to: "tires replaced and installed, 7 front and 14 rear"... how come 14 rear and 7 front...based on my mileage, my rears last 2-3 longer than fronts, totally opposite..
I rarely replace a tire that is completely worn. My rears usually have 30% remaining and the fronts a little more than that. If you can keep a secret between you and me, I've also extended front tire life at times by simply flipping the wheel around (but not the spacers!). Don't laugh...I've experienced no adverse affects by doing this although it is not recommended and experts will claim that it is dangerous for a multitude of reasons. I am not a performance rider.

On more than one occasion I've overestimated remaining tire life prior to departing on an extended trip and halfway though discover that the tire has worn completely out. I've discovered that very few shops carry these tires in stock and need to ordered.

Thanks,
I rarely replace a tire that is completely worn. My rears usually have 30% remaining and the fronts a little more than that. If you can keep a secret between you and me, I've also extended front tire life at times by simply flipping the wheel around (but not the spacers!). Don't laugh...
lol - The secret is safe between PB and you. :)
 
Thread starter
bikesnboats_imp said:
A pleasure to have shared some of those miles through Oregon and Colorado, Joel. Joe
The pleasure and honor was mine as well!

I've seldom ridden with someone as experienced and talented as you!

Joel
 
Haystack_imp said:
This afternoon in Oelrichs, South Dakota, 2013 Honda CB1100D Serial #001742 rolled 100,000 miles and became a member of the CB Eleven-Hundred Thousand Mile Club.

A brief synopsis since riding out of the dealer's shop in September 2013...

Average of 48 mpg for approximately (at least) 2,100 US gallons gasoline consumed. Has burned 85 OCT to 91 OCT both gasohol and non-ethanol fuel with no discernible difference in performance (from this rider).

21 tires replaced and installed, 7 front and 14 rear
23 Oil and filter changes (92 Qts of Honda GN-4 10W-30 motor oil and 23 FRAM 6017A oil filters). Original drain plug gasket still in use, no seeps, weeps or leaks.

Corbin seat installed at 8,000 mi. and Street Shield installed at 25,000 mi. Grab-On foam grips at 1,000 mi. and replaced at 97,000 mi. Otherwise bike is factory stock and set up as from dealer.

Valves checked at 15,000 mi. and all in spec., no adjustment necessary (I intend to have them checked again at 115,000 miles and report values).

Air filter replaced at 47,717 mi.
Rear axle replaced at 64,000 mi. as I stripped the threads when changing a tire (totally my bad).
Chain and sprockets replaced at 54,178 mi. and 91,184 mi.
Fuel Pump (and filter) replaced at 74,788 mi.
Original brake pads (front and rear) also replaced at 74,788 mi.

Original battery replaced at 91,184 mi. The factory original battery was still working fine but I decided that it was "time". It had never been placed on a battery or "trickle" charger.

Original spark plugs still installed (plugs pulled at 64,000 mi. and 2 were regapped and all were reinstalled).
Original brake fluid still installed.
Original everything else (unless I forgot something).

The machine really felt "run in" or "broken-in" at 25,000 mi. when it began to run smoother and produce best power.

After this initial 100,000 mi. test ride I think that I'll keep it. Not a bad machine after all!

I hope that this report provides some useful information.

Later,

Haystack
That is an estimated 600 fill ups at 3.5 gallons each average...
 
Haystack, you apparently don't obsess over rigid maintenance, with good results.
Could you share your general routine for chain cleaning / lube or wax etc.?
Thanks!

Ben
 
awesome report Haystack! I'll never see those miles on my 2014 std. but fun to hear from someone who has. :biker::biker::biker:
 
Thread starter
Ben70_imp said:
Haystack, you apparently don't obsess over rigid maintenance, with good results.
Could you share your general routine for chain cleaning / lube or wax etc.?
Thanks!

Ben
It's good to hear from you, Ben. We missed you at the West Coast rally in Montrose!

For chain maintenance I use Champion Chain Lubricant (W-Mart @ $5.00 a large can) and will last a year or so (I share it among several other bikes as well, mostly my Yamaha SR500s). I use it every 500 miles or after wet weather and apply it when the chain is warm. I set the bike on the center stand and spin the wheel then wipe up the excess. I always replace the chain and sprockets as a set.

Honda's are generally "gas & go" but the only bike that I've performed less maintenance on is my '12 H-D Ultra Limited with the stock 103 cubic inch motor (101,000 mi. so far) with only wheel bearings, an exhaust gasket, battery and brake linings needing replacement. I'm still on the original drive belt. Like the Honda, the H-D motor hasn't been touched and still has it's original spark plugs. Far and away the two best bikes that I've ever owned.

Ride aware!
 
Ben70_imp said:
Haystack, you apparently don't obsess over rigid maintenance, with good results.
Could you share your general routine for chain cleaning / lube or wax etc.?
Thanks!

Ben
UNDERSTATEMENT :rofl:
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Ben70_imp said:
Haystack, you apparently don't obsess over rigid maintenance, with good results.
Could you share your general routine for chain cleaning / lube or wax etc.?
Thanks!

Ben
UNDERSTATEMENT :rofl:
UNDERSTATEMENT :rofl:
I am an ardent practitoner of the "Waddington Effect" which increases vehicle usage and decreases down time. I became interested in Reliability Centered Maintenance (CRM) years ago when I noticed that there were problems with my car/bike/airplane that were not present before they went into the shop.

Mike Busch has many interesting and useful articles on this as well.

Our CB1100's are satisfying and fun because the design welcomes owner interaction and facilitates routine maintenance items.

Time for an oil change!

Ride safe!
 
I'm 40% the way there at 66000 KM roughly 41000 miles, but I've only had the bike 3 years and I live in Ontario where November to March is largely unrideable and even if you could get out, I don't want to expose my CB to the harsh salt and other corrosive snow treatments they put on the road. I'll likely be there in another 4 years as much as my wife tries to thwart that goal.
 
Thanks for this information on Waddington Effect. I had never heard of it. Fascinating. Per Mike Busch, the the major takeaway from Waddington’s research during World War II:

"Maintenance isn’t an inherently good thing (like exercise); it’s a necessary evil (like surgery). We have to do it from time to time, but we sure don’t want to do more than absolutely necessary to keep our aircraft safe and reliable. Doing more maintenance than necessary actually degrades safety and reliability."

Haystack_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
UNDERSTATEMENT :rofl:
I am an ardent practitoner of the "Waddington Effect" which increases vehicle usage and decreases down time. I became interested in Reliability Centered Maintenance (CRM) years ago when I noticed that there were problems with my car/bike/airplane that were not present before they went into the shop.

Mike Busch has many interesting and useful articles on this as well.

Our CB1100's are satisfying and fun because the design welcomes owner interaction and facilitates routine maintenance items.

Time for an oil change!

Ride safe!
 
jerrycon_imp said:
Thanks for this information on Waddington Effect. I had never heard of it. Fascinating. Per Mike Busch, the the major takeaway from Waddington’s research during World War II:

"Maintenance isn’t an inherently good thing (like exercise); it’s a necessary evil (like surgery). We have to do it from time to time, but we sure don’t want to do more than absolutely necessary to keep our aircraft safe and reliable. Doing more maintenance than necessary actually degrades safety and reliability."

Haystack_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
UNDERSTATEMENT :rofl:
I am an ardent practitoner of the "Waddington Effect" which increases vehicle usage and decreases down time. I became interested in Reliability Centered Maintenance (CRM) years ago when I noticed that there were problems with my car/bike/airplane that were not present before they went into the shop.

Mike Busch has many interesting and useful articles on this as well.

Our CB1100's are satisfying and fun because the design welcomes owner interaction and facilitates routine maintenance items.

Time for an oil change!

Ride safe!
I usually get vehicles after owners have gone to the extreme with this... but it makes for cheap parts.
 
Back
Top