CB Eleven-Hundred Thousand Mile Club

Haystack_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
This afternoon in Oelrichs, South Dakota, 2013 Honda CB1100D Serial #001742 rolled 100,000 miles and became a member of the CB Eleven-Hundred Thousand Mile Club.

A brief synopsis since riding out of the dealer's shop in September 2013...

Average of 48 mpg for approximately (at least) 2,100 US gallons gasoline consumed. Has burned 85 OCT to 91 OCT both gasohol and non-ethanol fuel with no discernible difference in performance (from this rider).

21 tires replaced and installed, 7 front and 14 rear
23 Oil and filter changes (92 Qts of Honda GN-4 10W-30 motor oil and 23 FRAM 6017A oil filters). Original drain plug gasket still in use, no seeps, weeps or leaks.

Corbin seat installed at 8,000 mi. and Street Shield installed at 25,000 mi. Grab-On foam grips at 1,000 mi. and replaced at 97,000 mi. Otherwise bike is factory stock and set up as from dealer.

Valves checked at 15,000 mi. and all in spec., no adjustment necessary (I intend to have them checked again at 115,000 miles and report values).

Air filter replaced at 47,717 mi.
Rear axle replaced at 64,000 mi. as I stripped the threads when changing a tire (totally my bad).
Chain and sprockets replaced at 54,178 mi. and 91,184 mi.
Fuel Pump (and filter) replaced at 74,788 mi.
Original brake pads (front and rear) also replaced at 74,788 mi.

Original battery replaced at 91,184 mi. The factory original battery was still working fine but I decided that it was "time". It had never been placed on a battery or "trickle" charger.

Original spark plugs still installed (plugs pulled at 64,000 mi. and 2 were regapped and all were reinstalled).
Original brake fluid still installed.
Original everything else (unless I forgot something).

The machine really felt "run in" or "broken-in" at 25,000 mi. when it began to run smoother and produce best power.

After this initial 100,000 mi. test ride I think that I'll keep it. Not a bad machine after all!

I hope that this report provides some useful information.

Later,

Haystack
 
I am seriously impressed! That's a lot of riding. Kinda wondering "how you did it"!

The other thing that is amazing is your details of the maintenance. Demonstrates a seriously reliable machine. Also very, very impressive. Emphasis once again that the CB1100 is seriously under-appreciated (and under-valued) by the riding community.

You sir, get a gold star!
 
First, Congratulations on reaching 100k!! That's awesome. 2, thanks for the fascinating info on the longevity of your bike. Hope to get there one day.
 
Awesome! Congrats. I'd be about at about 60% of your miles had I not traded my first CB for this one. If you stop riding yours now, I can catch you in a measly 7 years, give or take.
 
Thanks Haystack for the detailed report and congrats on 100K, quite an achievement on any bike and a testament to the build quality and engineering of Honda.:thumbsup::biker::beerchug:
 
Congratulations on a remarkable milestone, Haystack. El Huròn will correct me, but I think you may be only the second forum member to achieve it.

I'm very impressed by the longevity of your brake pads.
 
Heystack, interesting and worthy report...
As to: "tires replaced and installed, 7 front and 14 rear"... how come 14 rear and 7 front...based on my mileage, my rears last 2-3 longer than fronts, totally opposite..
 
Simply outstanding and I like that you kept records of maintenance. A few surprise me. 75,000 miles on brake pads. You must do a lot of freeway riding where you don't use the brakes. Original plugs...wow. Original brake and clutch fluids...again wow. I'm at half your mileage and mine is getting it's 3rd brake and clutch fluid change this morning. At any rate can't argue with success like that! Congrats Haystack.

I think he would be the 4th 100K miler on the forum. Can't remember the first guys name and he hasn't been around in a while.I think he was from New Mexico or somewhere out west. Maybe California??? Streetshark07 posted a thread not long ago asking for "The actual required services by mileage" and reported having "well, over 130,000 miles" on his. I asked him what well over meant, but he never answered. We also had one in Europe that had gone over 100,000 and posted a list of the things he has replaced and the only thing out of the ordinary that I can remember was some spokes, and some wheel bearings.

Lofty and exclusive club at any rate.

Again Congrats Haystack!
 
Very admirable achievement!
Personally; I prefer to work and tinker on bikes, but have the utmost respect for those who drive them like you do.

Congrats! :beerchug:
 
Do I get it right, that you only checked the valves once at 15.000miles?

The sparks, airfilter, brake fluid, battery, the chain and sprockets of your CB really lasted long or do still last.
So, near to 60.000km with my CB I see it relaxed, she will last and stay in tune.

Wisedrum
 
Thread starter
Wisedrum_imp said:
Do I get it right, that you only checked the valves once at 15.000miles?

The sparks, airfilter, brake fluid, battery, the chain and sprockets of your CB really lasted long or do still last.
So, near to 60.000km with my CB I see it relaxed, she will last and stay in tune.

Wisedrum
Correct. My first valve clearance check was conducted at 15,000 miles and were found to be in spec. no adjustments necessary. The mechanic (technician) advised me that they would never need to be checked again. He may not have expected the bike to get much use. I plan on checking them again at 115,000 miles.

I will change my air filter soon.

Haystack
I think he would be the 4th 100K miler on the forum. Can't remember the first guys name and he hasn't been around in a while.I think he was from New Mexico or somewhere out west. Maybe California??? Streetshark07 posted a thread not long ago asking for "The actual required services by mileage" and reported having "well, over 130,000 miles" on his. I asked him what well over meant, but he never answered. We also had one in Europe that had gone over 100,000 and posted a list of the things he has replaced and the only thing out of the ordinary that I can remember was some spokes, and some wheel bearings.

Lofty and exclusive club at any rate.

Again Congrats Haystack!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Ferret!

Sanoke was a high-mileage rider from Colorado but I haven't heard from him in awhile.
 
Ahh itsme67 was the fellow from Europe to hit 100K. Thanks for reminding me.

maybe the first was Sanoke?
 
Haystack_imp said:
Wisedrum_imp said:
Do I get it right, that you only checked the valves once at 15.000miles?

The sparks, airfilter, brake fluid, battery, the chain and sprockets of your CB really lasted long or do still last.
So, near to 60.000km with my CB I see it relaxed, she will last and stay in tune.

Wisedrum
Correct. My first valve clearance check was conducted at 15,000 miles and were found to be in spec. no adjustments necessary. The mechanic (technician) advised me that they would never need to be checked again. He may not have expected the bike to get much use. I plan on checking them again at 115,000 miles.

I will change my air filter soon.

Haystack
I think he would be the 4th 100K miler on the forum. Can't remember the first guys name and he hasn't been around in a while.I think he was from New Mexico or somewhere out west. Maybe California??? Streetshark07 posted a thread not long ago asking for "The actual required services by mileage" and reported having "well, over 130,000 miles" on his. I asked him what well over meant, but he never answered. We also had one in Europe that had gone over 100,000 and posted a list of the things he has replaced and the only thing out of the ordinary that I can remember was some spokes, and some wheel bearings.

Lofty and exclusive club at any rate.

Again Congrats Haystack!

Thanks, Ferret!

Sanoke was a high-mileage rider from Colorado but I haven't heard from him in awhile.
[/QUOTE]
This creates a lot of room for calm fantasies and I think to myself, ride on, don't worry much, everything will be alright, everything will be fine and leave the CB untouched.

Wisedrum
 
Haystack_imp said:
Wisedrum_imp said:
Do I get it right, that you only checked the valves once at 15.000miles?

The sparks, airfilter, brake fluid, battery, the chain and sprockets of your CB really lasted long or do still last.
So, near to 60.000km with my CB I see it relaxed, she will last and stay in tune.

Wisedrum
Correct. My first valve clearance check was conducted at 15,000 miles and were found to be in spec. no adjustments necessary. The mechanic (technician) advised me that they would never need to be checked again. He may not have expected the bike to get much use. I plan on checking them again at 115,000 miles.

I will change my air filter soon.

Haystack
I think he would be the 4th 100K miler on the forum. Can't remember the first guys name and he hasn't been around in a while.I think he was from New Mexico or somewhere out west. Maybe California??? Streetshark07 posted a thread not long ago asking for "The actual required services by mileage" and reported having "well, over 130,000 miles" on his. I asked him what well over meant, but he never answered. We also had one in Europe that had gone over 100,000 and posted a list of the things he has replaced and the only thing out of the ordinary that I can remember was some spokes, and some wheel bearings.

Lofty and exclusive club at any rate.

Again Congrats Haystack!

Thanks, Ferret!

Sanoke was a high-mileage rider from Colorado but I haven't heard from him in awhile.
[/QUOTE]
Correct. My first valve clearance check was conducted at 15,000 miles and were found to be in spec. no adjustments necessary. The mechanic (technician) advised me that they would never need to be checked again. He may not have expected the bike to get much use. I plan on checking them again at 115,000 miles.

I will change my air filter soon.

Haystack

I think he would be the 4th 100K miler on the forum. Can't remember the first guys name and he hasn't been around in a while.I think he was from New Mexico or somewhere out west. Maybe California??? Streetshark07 posted a thread not long ago asking for "The actual required services by mileage" and reported having "well, over 130,000 miles" on his. I asked him what well over meant, but he never answered. We also had one in Europe that had gone over 100,000 and posted a list of the things he has replaced and the only thing out of the ordinary that I can remember was some spokes, and some wheel bearings.

Lofty and exclusive club at any rate.

Again Congrats Haystack!
Thanks, Ferret!

Sanoke was a high-mileage rider from Colorado but I haven't heard from him in awhile.
[/QUOTE]

@ Wisedrum (Peter)
I am still here :)

@all,
regarding spare parts, mileage, fuel consumption, etc. please refer to Spare and wear parts
English language is available on the right upper side

@Haystack
still impressed :)
 
Back
Top