CB Cold Weather Start-Up

Haystack_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
This has been an another unusually cold winter here in northwest Nebraska with ice and snow covered ground since mid-November. I haven't had the CB out of the garage since then as our road to the highway has been ice-laden for two months.

Just for grins, I went out on a cold morning (below zero F outside), garage temp was about 5 degrees F and wanted to see if the CB would start. I hadn't put a charger on the battery all year and it had October fuel in the tank.

Anyway, the bike started right up as easily as it does in the summer...incredible! I let it idle for a few moments and then shut it down.

FWIW
 
Just my two cents , I would not recommend doing that type of start up. If you start it I would let the bike run long enough to burn off the condensation that developed on the start up. Maybe 15 minutes,better if you could ride it. But with the weather in your location probably not feasible .Again your bike your choice . I would look into a battery tender,cheap insurance .
 
obleo_imp said:
Just my two cents , I would not recommend doing that type of start up. If you start it I would let the bike run long enough to burn off the condensation that developed on the start up. Maybe 15 minutes,better if you could ride it. But with the weather in your location probably not feasible .Again your bike your choice . I would look into a battery tender,cheap insurance .
I'm glad to hear (but not surprised) that the CB started right up, but agree with the advice above.
I never start my bikes for the entire five months they are laid up over winter. You're only introducing condensation into the engine and exhaust system - but of course, it's your bike.
Since it looks like you're not going to be able to ride anytime soon, I would put some brand of stabilizer in the gas tank and either remove the battery and hook up a battery charger as obleo suggested, or leave it in place and still use a charger.
My dealer fitted an Optimate lead from the battery so I leave the battery in place and plug my Optimate charger into the lead.
 
Getting into the mid to 30's, the Griso was reluctant to start. The CB? Turned over and started no problem. I suspect it's the difference between big twins vs. in line 4's. My old Quota would start in the high 20's, but she was not fond of it.
 
I'm finding myself riding the CB11 to work most days. The CB750 is bit more difficult to start on cold mornings whereas the CB11 starts up as easily as it did in mid summer. Fuel injection is like magic :D
 
A question for the pros. Isn't it okay to just unhook the battery for storage and not worry about a charger? Won't it hold its charge so long as it is not attached to the wires?
 
If your going to the trouble of unhooking the cables , just as easy to put on a battery tender. They are cheap ,and extend the life of your battery.I got mine for about $29.00 . Just my opinion .
 
obleo_imp said:
If your going to the trouble of unhooking the cables , just as easy to put on a battery tender. They are cheap ,and extend the life of your battery.I got mine for about $29.00 . Just my opinion .
But I don't have power anywhere near my bike and would prefer not to run a cord across the lawn.
I will be riding all winter so the question is purely theoretical. Still, I'm curious. Anyone know whether unhooking the battery will save it for spring?
 
Well it's not an either or. Take out the battery, take it in the house and put it on a tender. That's what I do for my riding mower. Next best thing would be to take it out and take it in the house and let it sit on a piece of carpet or cardboard or plywood, not on a concrete floor. Finally I don't see any difference in unhooking it and leaving it in the bike, or just leaving it in the bike hooked up. In either case it's going to get cold, discharge and not receive any refreshing charge for as long at it sits there..
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well it's not an either or. Take out the battery, take it in the house and put it on a tender. That's what I do for my riding mower. Next best thing would be to take it out and take it in the house and let it sit on a piece of carpet or cardboard or plywood, not on a concrete floor. Finally I don't see any difference in unhooking it and leaving it in the bike, or just leaving it in the bike hooked up. In either case it's going to get cold, discharge and not receive any refreshing charge for as long at it sits there..
I see. Thanks!
 
I think the question is why does it discharge if it's not connected to anything?
 
Batteries at rest lose charge whether connected or not .. something about positive ions and all that...otherwise you wouldn't need a generator or alternator or trickle charger to keep it up. I've heard as much as 1% per day but that may have been old technology lead acid filled batts. They do not store an infinite amount of power for an infinite amount of time. Even when being charged daily they eventually will no longer hold a charge. Nature of the beast.
 
Cormanus,

Google battery self discharge and 'local action'. That should explain it, mostly.
 
Yup. Batteries, if left to their own devices, will discharge. There are things going on in the battery and their chemistry that cause this.

You can test this by leaving your battery out for the season, then just before it's time to ride, hook it up to a real charger that shows just how far it needs to charge. It will help you if your battery is kept very cool (but not frozen) during its' down time.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Batteries at rest lose charge whether connected or not .. something about positive ions and all that...otherwise you wouldn't need a generator or alternator or trickle charger to keep it up. I've heard as much as 1% per day but that may have been old technology lead acid filled batts. They do not store an infinite amount of power for an infinite amount of time. Even when being charged daily they eventually will no longer hold a charge. Nature of the beast.
That's about right for a flooded cell battery. Actual discharge rates also vary with temperature (hotter temps, higher discharge). You're correct that newer technologies do better. Sealed AGM batteries self discharge rate is about half of the flooded cell rate. Lithium batteries are pretty good in this respect, discharging at only 2-3% per month.
 
I'm in the camp that removes the battery, takes it in the house, leave the bike sit for the Winter. I 'tend' to the battery every few months. Once it warms up, let rain wash the salt off the road before your take the bike out.

Just the way I operate.
 
sourdough44_imp said:
I'm in the camp that removes the battery, takes it in the house, leave the bike sit for the Winter. I 'tend' to the battery every few months. Once it warms up, let rain wash the salt off the road before your take the bike out.

Just the way I operate.
That's the way I do it too with all my bikes except the CB. I have an Optimate pigtail connected to the battery which is easy to access so I leave the battery in place and hook up the charger once a month for 24 hours.
The other batteries are stored in a cool dry place and once a month they are cycled through with the charger for 24 hours.
In all cases the chrger goes into "float mode" very soon indicating that the batteries have lost very little charge.
Come spring, I'm in no hurry to get out there before the road debris has been washed away,
 
Back
Top