CB 1100 final edition on its way !

I suspect based on Honda Africa Twin flat metallic paint finishes that the CB1100 flat blue is durable and practically maintenance free. That is, just rinse. No polishing.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
Aaaaaahhhhh, a Brown seat!:s
Very Italian?
Very Italian?
Possibly, but considering it won't be for sale anywhere in Europe...:huh:
Very Italian?
Possibly, but considering it won't be for sale anywhere in Europe...:huh:
Then olde English?

Err, I mean Irish?

Doesn't seem very North American.
Very Italian?
Possibly, but considering it won't be for sale anywhere in Europe...:huh:
Then olde English?

Err, I mean Irish?

Doesn't seem very North American. What's more North American than a pair of jeans and a nice brown leather saddle?

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
tod.branko_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
Aaaaaahhhhh, a Brown seat!:s
Very Italian?
Very Italian?
Possibly, but considering it won't be for sale anywhere in Europe...:huh:
Very Italian?
Possibly, but considering it won't be for sale anywhere in Europe...:huh:
Then olde English?

Err, I mean Irish?

Doesn't seem very North American.
Very Italian?
Possibly, but considering it won't be for sale anywhere in Europe...:huh:
Then olde English?

Err, I mean Irish?

Doesn't seem very North American. What's more North American than a pair of jeans and a nice brown leather saddle?

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Very Italian?
Possibly, but considering it won't be for sale anywhere in Europe...:huh:
Then olde English?

Err, I mean Irish?

Doesn't seem very North American. What's more North American than a pair of jeans and a nice brown leather saddle?

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
I agree. Pretty darn American. The RS version would of sold way better than the EX. Hipsters would of pounced that thing harder than warm IPA and a douche flute (vape) chaser. Heck, I would of in a New York minute.

But this FE is just tastefully done. Or even if they did a flat deep red..
But we will see if we get it.. If it doesn't at least there's the CB1000r..
 
Prices will go up like crazy from now onwards , better buy one right now , I know of a very nice 2013 for sale (ABS ) with many extra's........ Put your name on the list.....
 
"...possibly because the bikes were heavy and underpowered when compared to the originals, and also kinda pricey."

When I read the comments of ADV article, the first argument that the CB1100 was a selling flop is often repeated. I don't think and feel that the CB is underpowered with a weak engine and too heavy with 245kg for the 2013 model. So I bought one and keep it. The discussion about these 2 'negative' criterias often arose when I read something about the CB1100. Mainly when 'professional' testers wrote about the bike. Seems that they all influenced each other with their meaning. It surely depends on what you expect from a motorbike and especially from a CB1100. In Europe the CB offers 90HP, could be less in other parts of the world.

The weight power relation in other bikes is much worther than the one of the CB as shown with W800 (48HP/220kg) and the Bullet (27HP/185kg). Maybe this keeps both machines back from selling well too. And maybe their being overpriced for what they over as written over the CB. If you catch a good deal for all 3 machines, I did, they're kind or fairpriced. Not cheap but not too expensive. My point of view.

The CB is and was definitely not a motorbike for everyone, because it wasn't build for being it. In my eyes it is enough that the CB enjoys the ones, who will be enjoyed by this Honda. There will be some like here in this forum. And the CB is one of the bikes that will be missed after a while when it's put out of the market, because people will then start to notice that motorbikes can be like that, look like motorbikes in a beautiful way.
 
Wise thoughts Wisedrum. Bike testers/vloggers do tend to get wrapped up in numbers and figures, brake disk diameters (who really cares, 220mm or 235mm), peak power and torque and the list of features without explaining what that feature might do for you. It is easy lazy journalism to just read off the manufacturers spec sheet. My pet hate is a tester complaining of a "firm ride" on bikes with fully adjustable suspension but then never having the cop-on to spend five minutes altering it for a more supple ride. A few good ones bring out the character of the bike, who might like it, how it makes them feel and what it will be like to own.

On your last point that it will be missed. I'm no so sure of that, it is a fairly anonymous bike and I think it will only be the few aficionados that lament its demise. They might miss the end of all air-cooled Guzzi's when they drop their last one or be surprised BMW drop the last air head but I don't think this bike is in the general motorcyclists consciousness.
 
CB1100 is not just a retro motorcycle, it is a true modern classic. One criticism I've often heard from motorcycle journalists was that it's a 1960s motorcycle made for the 2000s but still with 1960s power. It's a true statement but an unfair parallel, because the CB1100 has a reliable under-stressed engine, and real-world usable powerband that is unlikely to leave a reasonable rider with a craving for more. I would argue that's not only it's enough, but more than enough. Number-wise the closest competitor to the CB1100 is Ducati Scrambler 1100, air-cooled 1100cc 86hp 88Nm. The difference in weight (211kg vs. 254kg) doesn't really translate to a difference in performance as the Ducati is geared slightly differently and lacks to top end. One thing I've notice with the BMW R9T as well, (being a large air-cooled bike) is that I always found myself at the rev limiter and needing to upshift before I actually felt like it's time. I am yet to hit the rev limiter on the CB1100 in any gear, if anything - it makes me feel like I want to short shift not to get in that range where power becomes more, and I find that just beautiful. Another thing I've noticed the journalists tend to do is scrape footpegs of the CB1100 to prove how it hasn't got enough lean angle, I enjoy a spirited ride in the twisties and I also live playing on parking lots at low speeds and never have I ever scraped a foot peg of the CB. If you come to that angle where your footpegs are scraping on the CB, you are going way too fast for the road.

All things aside, with the 2022 final edition, CB1100 will have closed a 13 year production run, with minimal changes, but I suspect Honda will still be making them for the far east markets where emissions just aren't a thing. I see it happen all the time, with motorcycles and cars alike - Yamaha V-max, Toyota FJ cruiser, Nissan Patrol Super Safari - discontinued everywhere else but can still be bought new at the dealership in Dubai

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
With today's emission standards, you need water cooling to squeeze out more power

(our the engine lives from torque already from idling gas in connection with a typical character of a inline4 engine)

or- and- too
therefore
we remember that for the engineers, the heat balance was a certain challenge when developing this engine
https://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13722&page=3&highlight=engineer+talk
.
the journalists and the people never have these facts in mind
 
It's like people testing/buying a Buick and expecting F1 performance.

Luckily, we get it. I keep looking at other bikes but when I ride my CB's I'm reminded that they do what I want - and they're paid for.

I'll keep looking though.... :D
 
hmmm not realy

if you look the actual cb650r inline4 has 87hp.....and we have with proud 1100ccm only 90hp

or if you see the good old air cooled cb750 from 1969 how much power this had already in relation to our big air cooled engine...
 
alprider_imp said:
hmmm not realy

if you look the actual cb650r inline4 has 87hp.....and we have with proud 1100ccm only 90hp

or if you see the good old air cooled cb750 from 1969 how much power this had already in relation to our big air cooled engine...
Alprider, I'm failing to understand your point. Are you arguing that original cb750 with 67hp and 60Nm had better power than the CB1100? Or the fact that cb650r with it's 57Nm once it hits 12000rpm hits roughly the same power as CB1100 does at 5000? If the CB1100 was a water-cooled high revving engine (if we consider roughly the difference in torque) at 12000 rpm it would make 195hp.
What exactly are you trying to say?



'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
I very much agree with TodBranko's assessment of our CB 1100 bikes , buy it for what it is : a great motor cycle , you can make it more comfortable if you want to and change the looks if so desired but do not expect it to be something it was not build for.
 
Yep. In my opinion the CB1100 is a slightly updated replica of a classic Honda. The designers clearly did not intend anything other than staying true to the spirit of the original bikes. Everyone knows Honda can build a thumper of a bike when they want to, but this UJM was never intended as such. It’s really a farewell nod for the sake of nostalgia to the 50+ year olds rider segment that used to own or always wanted a classic Honda. If younger folks happen to like it, all the better! Now get off my lawn! :D
 
Whoops_imp said:
Yep. In my opinion the CB1100 is a slightly updated replica of a classic Honda. The designers clearly did not intend anything other than staying true to the spirit of the original bikes. Everyone knows Honda can build a thumper of a bike when they want to, but this UJM was never intended as such. It’s really a farewell nod for the sake of nostalgia to the 50+ year olds rider segment that used to own or always wanted a classic Honda. If younger folks happen to like it, all the better! Now get off my lawn! :D
:rofl:
 
Seems to me that Honda have missed the boat with this Final Edition malarky...So if Honda can't sell this in any EU5 countries/continents who exactly will benefit from this farewell model?...the lucky few regions like Japan/Asia?

A lost opportunIty if you ask me.:huh:

So glad I've got mine tho!!:excited:

Stay safe folks,

JT
 
*whispers* USA?

Though probably not likely if Honda got their feelbads hurt by the underwhelming reception it got here. 2017 was probably their last try at selling that In the US, though I certainly hope not. I would wager most of us stateside would jump at the opportunity.
 
Back
Top