CB 1100 at the Track?

morewood_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Has anyone done a track day with their CB1100? I've been to many (20+) CLASS schools, but usually on my VFR. I'm considering bringing the CB this year instead. Thoughts???
 
One of the forum members (I think Stichill) spoke of a free or discounted track day on the west coast (CA). I thought it was sometime this month. I'm in the Midwest so it wouldn't work for me. I'd go just to learn something, lower the bar and make everyone else feel good about themselves.
d448fdfe9aceac504923beb8c2d58869.png
 
I did a track Day on my CB1100. It was pretty amazing, my brother in law is huge into N2 Track organizers. They were in the Savannah area, and they completely hooked me up. Very professional and friendly group of guys. Stuck me in novice group. Let me borrow leathers / boots. Prepped my bike for me... Tape, etc.. Had classes at track, and walked me through everything. Check them out if they are ever in your area.

Very Fun but slightly intimidating. I may do it again one day, but it won't become a weekly hobby for me. Let me see if I can find an old photo.. hmmm. .

Dam.. Photos.. Oh well... It was a fun day.
 
Thread starter
Thanks stateboy, LongRanger, Empty Sea, and JF Coastal. Good info.
The only thing that concerns me about the CB at the track is relatively soft suspension and ground clearance. Lean angles at the track get pretty dramatic as the day goes on.
 
Hi morewood, I took my CB to Jennings last year. No issues with soft suspension or ground clearance. You won't break any records and the bike certainly wants to push wide in the corners, but nothing you can't have a little fun with. Check out my post:

CB1100 Meets JenningsGP
 
Django, too, may well have done a couple of track days on his CB1100.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the link John, good stuff.
To quote your linked post, "had the hard parts down earlier than I thought possible." That's what I'm talking about when I reference clearance and suspension.
 
Hi Morewood, I should have been more specific. I was only talking about the peg feelers. I did not touch down center stand, exhaust, or SW Motech frame sliders. I did scrape the sidestand when I touched the left side peg feeler, but that was a fleeting scrape.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Django... The pics and your narrative speak volumes about clearance and suspension. I'll have to ride conservatively if I bring the CB to the track instead of the VFR. I am (like you were) curious about how the CB will perform. Maybe a slow couple of days at the track will be good for me. Maybe I'll bring BOTH bikes.:biker::biker:
Good to know. Thanks.
 
Can't be much worse than a Z750 with stock suspension settings. Talk about scary!

Keep it smooth and don't over brake/accelerate and sticky side should remain down most of the time :)
 
Peg feelers on our bikes very, very conservative. And if they do scrape, the pegs fold. Many have shortened or even removed them. I also crank the springs up to high preload for the relatively smooth and predictable surface at most tracks. Also, hang off to reduce lean - a little goes a long way.

Hope it helps.
 
Back
Top