Cargo Hauler Conversion

deltamark

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hey all,

I am considering purchasing an enclosed cargo trailer to use primarily as winter storage for my three bikes, one of which is a CB1100 with sidecar. I’d also like to make this trailer somewhat suitable for camping. I don’t need all of the conveniences of a modern RV, but some basic wants would include insulation, floor and wall coverings, 12V power and 110 electrical, and at least one window. The rest of the things I can take care of.

Was wondering if anyone else has attempted this type of endeavor and if so, any tips?
 
wow that would take quite the trailer for 3 of them, one with a side car. I had a 6X10 enclosed trailer for a year with a sky roof a, a side door, and a rear ramp door that my wife and I could camp in, but we used a couple cots, sleeping bags, folding chairs, a folding table, a cooler and a couple Coleman stoves and lanterns, oh and a porta potty. No heat, no air conditioning. Basically a hard sided tent that would haul the bike.

However I really didn't like hauling a heavy trailer I couldn't see through or prepping food and waste with no where to keep it, and paying half as much for a campsite as I would for a hotel room (and campsites were much harder to find than hotels). Trailer insurance, paying the penalty in gas mileage, backing the trailer into parking spots, worrying about flats on the camper etc, so I sold it and went back to staying in hotels.

Razor has a big trailer he tows, but I don't think it is set up to camp in.

Good luck with your project. Will be interested to see what you come up with.
 
Delta. I’ve been kicking this idea around for a while. I just sold a small enclosed 5X8 trailer with the plans to purchase something larger that can haul at least 3 bikes. I’m at work but after I get home I’ll post up some stuff to consider.
 
I used to have a 4x8 folding Harbor Freight trailer for carrying stuff that won't fit in my car. Always thought about making a plywood camper out of it, and have seen some pretty good examples. Couldn't haul a bike with it after putting a box on it, but you'd be the toast of any campground you pull into...
 
I have looked into mounting a pop-up tent on top of a flatbed trailer and then load the bikes on top of it. My problem is finding a place to store the trailer. Oh and convincing my wife to go back to camping.
 
For enclosed winter storage, ensure that you deal with trapped humidity. Either allow for decent winter ventilation, or invest in moisture absorption products.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
wow that would take quite the trailer for 3 of them, one with a side car. I had a 6X10 enclosed trailer for a year with a sky roof a, a side door, and a rear ramp door that my wife and I could camp in, but we used a couple cots, sleeping bags, folding chairs, a folding table, a cooler and a couple Coleman stoves and lanterns, oh and a porta potty. No heat, no air conditioning. Basically a hard sided tent that would haul the bike.

However I really didn't like hauling a heavy trailer I couldn't see through or prepping food and waste with no where to keep it, and paying half as much for a campsite as I would for a hotel room (and campsites were much harder to find than hotels). Trailer insurance, paying the penalty in gas mileage, backing the trailer into parking spots, worrying about flats on the camper etc, so I sold it and went back to staying in hotels.

Razor has a big trailer he tows, but I don't think it is set up to camp in.

Good luck with your project. Will be interested to see what you come up with.
Went and looked at a 17' X 8.5' trailer.
2316ec9c6e2140e3f6116bb725f5ced4.jpg
Don't necessarily want to haul 3 bikes, just store them. I don't really enjoy pulling a trailer either, but we've had trailer campers for years, so I'm used to it. Also, to this point, I've never had much of a desire to trailer a bike, but would like to have that option in case of foul weather or to be able to spend an extended stay up-north. I would take a similar approach as you with the cots, sleeping bags, etc.

Frulk_imp said:
Delta. I’ve been kicking this idea around for a while. I just sold a small enclosed 5X8 trailer with the plans to purchase something larger that can haul at least 3 bikes. I’m at work but after I get home I’ll post up some stuff to consider.
:thumbsup:

EmptySea_imp said:
I have looked into mounting a pop-up tent on top of a flatbed trailer and then load the bikes on top of it. My problem is finding a place to store the trailer. Oh and convincing my wife to go back to camping.
Cool idea! We live in a rural area with some space, so I could store the trailer on my lot. And if you find a way to convince your wife to go back to that style of camping, please let me know what argument you used.;) My wife is pretty used to the conveniences of our RV trailer, so I'm not sure that she'd be willing to go a little more rustic.

GoldOxide_imp said:
For enclosed winter storage, ensure that you deal with trapped humidity. Either allow for decent winter ventilation, or invest in moisture absorption products.
Great point. Didn't think about that. I definitely will have at least one vent and hopefully a window with a screen.
 
That trailer you picture looks pretty much like one I used to use at my last job, testing telemetry sensors. We had a 15' for go karts and a 25' for a car.

I'd borrow them from time to time to store my personal stuff, like cars and bikes, or to take them camping. They were simple box trailers with no accommodation for anything but strapping down vehicles. I could put my Ford Fiesta and two bikes in the '25 and still have room for a small amount of other stuff. I could fit two bikes in the '15, but it was tight for much more stuff. I tried to make more room by attempting to turn the bikes perpendicular to the trailer once they were inside, but that was really troublesome unless I had someone else to help me lift and drag them into position.

The '15 pulled behind a normal truck like it wasn't there. You could probably get away with something small like that if you dedicate all of the floor space to the bikes, and build some racks along the walls to store your camping equipment. Used go kart trailers are pretty cheap in most cases, and most have loading ramps, a side door and vents built in.
 
deltamark_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
wow that would take quite the trailer for 3 of them, one with a side car. I had a 6X10 enclosed trailer for a year with a sky roof a, a side door, and a rear ramp door that my wife and I could camp in, but we used a couple cots, sleeping bags, folding chairs, a folding table, a cooler and a couple Coleman stoves and lanterns, oh and a porta potty. No heat, no air conditioning. Basically a hard sided tent that would haul the bike.

However I really didn't like hauling a heavy trailer I couldn't see through or prepping food and waste with no where to keep it, and paying half as much for a campsite as I would for a hotel room (and campsites were much harder to find than hotels). Trailer insurance, paying the penalty in gas mileage, backing the trailer into parking spots, worrying about flats on the camper etc, so I sold it and went back to staying in hotels.

Razor has a big trailer he tows, but I don't think it is set up to camp in.

Good luck with your project. Will be interested to see what you come up with.
Went and looked at a 17' X 8.5' trailer.
2316ec9c6e2140e3f6116bb725f5ced4.jpg
Don't necessarily want to haul 3 bikes, just store them. I don't really enjoy pulling a trailer either, but we've had trailer campers for years, so I'm used to it. Also, to this point, I've never had much of a desire to trailer a bike, but would like to have that option in case of foul weather or to be able to spend an extended stay up-north. I would take a similar approach as you with the cots, sleeping bags, etc.

Frulk_imp said:
Delta. I’ve been kicking this idea around for a while. I just sold a small enclosed 5X8 trailer with the plans to purchase something larger that can haul at least 3 bikes. I’m at work but after I get home I’ll post up some stuff to consider.
:thumbsup:

EmptySea_imp said:
I have looked into mounting a pop-up tent on top of a flatbed trailer and then load the bikes on top of it. My problem is finding a place to store the trailer. Oh and convincing my wife to go back to camping.
Cool idea! We live in a rural area with some space, so I could store the trailer on my lot. And if you find a way to convince your wife to go back to that style of camping, please let me know what argument you used.;) My wife is pretty used to the conveniences of our RV trailer, so I'm not sure that she'd be willing to go a little more rustic.

GoldOxide_imp said:
For enclosed winter storage, ensure that you deal with trapped humidity. Either allow for decent winter ventilation, or invest in moisture absorption products.
Great point. Didn't think about that. I definitely will have at least one vent and hopefully a window with a screen.
Great point. Didn't think about that. I definitely will have at least one vent and hopefully a window with a screen.
Just insurance to avoid chrome and exposed aluminum pitting. I knew a west coaster who needed to do that when storing Ford Model As in trailers. Sometimes air moisture just had its way with the cars.
 
Good point, Gold - I have a friend here in CA who stores classic cars in his trailer. He puts several large desiccant bags in the trailer during the rainy season. They are quite large, but do a good job.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Good point, Gold - I have a friend here in CA who stores classic cars in his trailer. He puts several large desiccant bags in the trailer during the rainy season. They are quite large, but do a good job.
Here in So Cal, a trailer that big would house a small family with 2 cats and rent for $2000 a month. Yeah, hardwood floors and a semi-cathedral ceiling, with a bonus patio deck. Parked at the right Walmart lot and it's "beach-adjacent". Make that $2250/mo.
 
The ferret_imp said:
wow that would take quite the trailer for 3 of them, one with a side car. I had a 6X10 enclosed trailer for a year with a sky roof a, a side door, and a rear ramp door that my wife and I could camp in, but we used a couple cots, sleeping bags, folding chairs, a folding table, a cooler and a couple Coleman stoves and lanterns, oh and a porta potty. No heat, no air conditioning. Basically a hard sided tent that would haul the bike.

However I really didn't like hauling a heavy trailer I couldn't see through or prepping food and waste with no where to keep it, and paying half as much for a campsite as I would for a hotel room (and campsites were much harder to find than hotels). Trailer insurance, paying the penalty in gas mileage, backing the trailer into parking spots, worrying about flats on the camper etc, so I sold it and went back to staying in hotels.

Razor has a big trailer he tows, but I don't think it is set up to camp in.

Good luck with your project. Will be interested to see what you come up with.
The trailer I have is 7’x 16’, V nose. Used to haul bikes and misc equipment, but isn’t used to camp in.

I’ve got a friend that uses a similar trailer for his “winter getaway” with his vintage ‘84 Goldwing. He’s decked it out with upper storage cabinets and a bunk bed which hinges on the side of the trailer. The bed has chains to hold in position, where he has a mattress pad. The sides and top are insulated with rigid foam sheets. Two roof vents and a couple of windows with screens keeps things cool. He spends about 6 weeks on the road, stopping at various spots down south and out west.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
If I had one of those, I'd probably be living in it.

Very nice deltamark.
Thanks GoldOxide. Once my wife saw the price tag, I thought I might end up living in it!:D I do plan to do some road / camping / riding trips with it, though.
 
Mark, this is very nice and modern, mobile one-room plus motorcycle apartament. Congrats.
Did you add two side windows to it?
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Mark, this is very nice and modern, mobile one-room plus motorcycle apartament. Congrats.
Did you add two side windows to it?
Thanks Peter! I had it custom made with the windows, complete insulation and a few other features because I planned to use it like a camper too.
 
deltamark_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Mark, this is very nice and modern, mobile one-room plus motorcycle apartament. Congrats.
Did you add two side windows to it?
Thanks Peter! I had it custom made with the windows, complete insulation and a few other features because I planned to use it like a camper too.
Thanks Peter! I had it custom made with the windows, complete insulation and a few other features because I planned to use it like a camper too.
Thanks, well done!!
 
:thumbsup: Mark. Looks really solid. Want.

deltamark_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
If I had one of those, I'd probably be living in it.

Very nice deltamark.
Thanks GoldOxide. Once my wife saw the price tag, I thought I might end up living in it!:D I do plan to do some road / camping / riding trips with it, though.
Thanks GoldOxide. Once my wife saw the price tag, I thought I might end up living in it!:D I do plan to do some road / camping / riding trips with it, though.
 
Back
Top