Care free riding?

Tom_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the forum quite a bit to while I wait for my DMV appointment to register my 2013 CB1100 and have gotten curious. I love older Hondas. CB750F, CB1100F, CB1000C etc. I went with this bike for a few reasons. Price was right. Fuel injection instead of carbs. Modern tech in a retro body. I do love it. While I expect to take good care of it, keep up with maintenance, keep it clean, and change the oil. I wonder how many of you have the this bike because you just want to ride and not worry about it too much. Is it as close to care free and you can get with cycle in your experience?

Thanks,
Tom
 
I have owned about 35 motorcycles in my lifetime and I would not say there is anything different about my 2014 CB1100 deluxe that makes it stand out as care free.
 
Thread starter
Care free is a relative term. I do understand that bikes need loving care and feeding.
 
I find mine pretty much care free.

Change oil and filter every 4,000 miles. Air cleaner and spark plugs every 25,000 miles. Tire pressure once a week. Valves have not needed adjustment in 58,000 miles, chain gets adjusted basically when I get new tires, or about every 8,000 miles. Brake pads last about 20,000 miles. Chain and sprockets got replaced at 37,000 miles.

The only thing that has broken was a turn signal lens when I bumped into it accidentally and I glued it back on with gorilla glue.

Been a great motorcycle, probably the best I have owned out of 31.
 
I didn't buy my CB1100 because of its point-and-go reliability, but I've probably kept it because of that.
 
Dave_imp said:
I have owned about 35 motorcycles in my lifetime and I would not say there is anything different about my 2014 CB1100 deluxe that makes it stand out as care free.
I've owned far fewer, I think just 9...but agree. I've owned one basket-case bike that I thought I would enjoy refurbishing (an XS650), but sold because it was a bit too much. My '14 CB1100 Standard was the only one that I sold because of a mechanical issue I chose not to deal with. But I choose to believe that was an outlier for the CB1100 and am happy with my '17ex. I guess I'd say I bought the 2nd despite my experience with the '14standard.
 
Hi Tom,

Not quite as old as some on here but I’m well over half way if you know what I mean! Anyhow, had lots and lots of bikes. The relative simplicity and ease of getting at pretty much everything is a big part of the attraction for me. Even though bigger services are not that regular (if you want a laugh (or cry)) try changing the plugs on say a ZZR1400 or Crosstourer. Pig of a job.

There’s nothing wrong with getting garages to service our bikes, at all, but IMHO there’s nothing like doing it yourself to bond with the bike, learn and importantly know it’s been done right.

Congrats on the purchase BTW.
 
Hey Tom - and welcome.

The CB1100 is incredibly easy to maintain - definitely better than its near equivalent relatives of the 1980s and probably the '90s.
 
Quote:
"The relative simplicity and ease of getting at pretty much everything is a big part of the attraction for me. Even though bigger services are not that regular (if you want a laugh (or cry)) try changing the plugs on say a ZZR1400 or Crosstourer. Pig of a job. "

I can adjust the valves and change the spark-plugs on my 1976 Honda CB750F in about 90 minutes (depending on how many valves needed adjusting). The fuel tank can be removed in about 60 seconds, with no tools required, and it doesn't have to be drained prior to removing it. It's a PITA to remove the fuel tank on my CB1100, especially dealing with the fuel line quick disconnect. Neither the valve cover or the cam has to be removed to adjust the valves on the 750. Oh how I miss the good old days!
 
The plugs on a CB are fairly easy to change.

The difference between the old screw and locknut adj and the shim under bucket adj is the latter rarely really needs adjusting which is why all of the Japanese and British mfgs have gone to that system.

What I miss is the hydraulic adjuster of the CB 650, CB700 Nighthawk S and Nighthawk series of bikes. Add in the shaft drive from the Nighthawk S and the bikes were pretty much trouble free.

Just bought a 2021 NC 750X DCT..if it had hydraulic valves, shaft drive and cruise control it would be perfect lol. But NOOOO it has screw and locknut valve adjusters, chain drive and no cruise even though it has ride by wire throttle and all kinds of modes, traction control (on a 58 hp bike pffft), ABS, linked brakes and a dual clutch transmission lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
The plugs on a CB are fairly easy to change.

The difference between the old screw and locknut adj and the shim under bucket adj is the latter rarely really needs adjusting which is why all of the Japanese and British mfgs have gone to that system.

What I miss is the hydraulic adjuster of the CB 650, CB700 Nighthawk S and Nighthawk series of bikes. Add in the shaft drive from the Nighthawk S and the bikes were pretty much trouble free.

Just bought a 2021 NC 750X DCT..if it had hydraulic valves, shaft drive and cruise control it would be perfect lol. But NOOOO it has screw and locknut valve adjusters, chain drive and no cruise even though it has ride by wire throttle and all kinds of modes, traction control (on a 58 hp bike pffft), ABS, linked brakes and a dual clutch transmission lol
I too miss the engineering that went into my ‘82 CB900C. Tank off with one bolt, shaft drive was darn near maintenance free, side covers just popped off. They spent time and money putting clever engineering into the the smallest details and it showed. Don’t get me wrong, the CB1100 is as close as any bike manufacturer is going to get to a full replication of a bike from the 70’s/80’s, but I still miss some of those little things that aren’t there.
 
Hi, and welcome, but I never even thought of buying a bike that is carefree. I own a 1980 GS750, and a 1982 GS1100E, not ready yet, so you can see, I buy a bike because; one its looks grab me, and secondly because it is fun to ride. The Hondas just turned out to be a lot smoother than my 'old' GS's. But, I like riding all my bikes because that is why I started riding back in 1969.
 
I tried to go "care free" when I bought a BMW. Shaft drive, single-side swingarm for easy wheel removal, and cylinders out in the breeze allowing for 30-minute valve adjustments.

It was carefree until the electronics went wonky, and the recall notices started rolling in. When care free became careful, I went back to Honda.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I tried to go "care free" when I bought a BMW. Shaft drive, single-side swingarm for easy wheel removal, and cylinders out in the breeze allowing for 30-minute valve adjustments.

It was carefree until the electronics went wonky, and the recall notices started rolling in. When care free became careful, I went back to Honda.
:rofl:

BMW ...Been Many Warnings
 
Dave_imp said:
I have owned about 35 motorcycles in my lifetime and I would not say there is anything different about my 2014 CB1100 deluxe that makes it stand out as care free.
I dunno if I agree with you. I haven't owned as many bikes as you have, but I know when I ride my CB1100, I am much more free from caring about things.

Though to be fair, when I rode my other bikes I didn't give a crap about much else at the time I was riding them either.

:rofl:
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I tried to go "care free" when I bought a BMW. Shaft drive, single-side swingarm for easy wheel removal, and cylinders out in the breeze allowing for 30-minute valve adjustments.

It was carefree until the electronics went wonky, and the recall notices started rolling in. When care free became careful, I went back to Honda.
That's a big ten-four! I just sold my Bmr R1100RT, but in the four years I owned it, I didn't do a single thing to it besides the post-purchase oil change for the engine, and final drive, and maybe the transmission, don't remember, but to access the battery, the whole left side of the fairing has to come off. 25 or so screws, of differing lengths. i rode my Honda to the hardware store to buy a set of star drivers.
 
My last bike, an '86 CB700SC Nighthawks S that I restored to factory spec was as care-free as a sporty bike can get. Maintenance free valves, hydraulic clutch, shaft drive, no water pump, no fuel pump (gravity feed). Very, very easy to maintian.

Its performance was comparable & top speed was a good bit higher than the CB1100 as well. If parts weren't so hard to find, I'd have kept it forever.



It grew a crowd wherever I went, too. :-)
 
Back
Top