Car choice for motorcycle enthusiasts

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
I had an interesting exchange last night with a friend-of-a-friend. My wife was out, so I met with a friend in his lavish back yard for a few socially distanced libations. When my friend introduced me to his other friend, we started talking about cars and motorcycles.

When I mentioned that I had a few bikes, he asked what kind of truck I had. When I said no truck... van then? No. He assumed that I needed a vehicle to carry motorcycles. I explained that I had a Ford Fiesta, mainly because it is a small car that doesn't take up much room in my limited garage space, making more room for my motorycles. Before I got into motorcycles, I had a '69 Cadillac, which didn't even leave room for a laundry basket, let alone a motorcycle.

As I made my way home, I started ruminating on the subject. I like having a very small car for that reason, and they are becoming very scarce in the U.S. The Fiesta is gone, the Honda Fit is gone.. I was out for a walk on Saturday, and passing the local Chevy dealer, they had several new Sparks out on the lot. Tiny! But for me, probably ideal.

Does anyone else choose their car around their motorcycles? Or am I weird?
 
No Gin60, you are not weird.

I believe the "less car", the better. I like the Honda Fit and they are still available here. Cars are utility to me and I treat them as such. I will admit during harsh, profuse humid Canadian summers, I like the A/C.

I have the expectation that gasoline will eventually rise to $2, $3 even $4 per liter, eventually. Dino-based bikes can still be a viable option for human transportation and excitement, but gas-powered SUVs and trucks not so much.
 
No, you're not weird. Makes perfect sense to me.
My choice of vehicle has nothing to do with the bikes.
In the winter, my bikes live in my basement and my Subaru Forester lives in my garage.
In the summer, the bikes live in the garage and the Forester lives in the driveway.
 
Yes, you are weird, but it has nothing to do with your choice of cars. ;)

I have a 1 car garage with two motorcycles and a Jeep Wrangler. If/when I replace the Wrangler, it will be with a car of a similar footprint. My wife drives a Ram1500 which wouldn't fit in the garage even without the bikes. I like my Jeep maybe because it has some of the same impracticalities that appeal to me in a motorcycle. Might consider a small sports car, though, to replace the Jeep, though.
 
I bought a Ram1500 truck 3 and a half years ago. I don't drive it lots mileage wise--only 12k miles--but I use it lots for the reasons I bought it: trailer an ol' ski boat, haul mc when I have to (picked up some stranded mc friends about 150 miles aways one night--yes they were very grateful I had a pickup), haul yard debris to recycle place, landscaping work, help son and others with moves, take ladders and other painting materials to paint houses, go pickup camping (throw sleeping bag in the back)...very practical for me. I bought a 2-wheel drive, no frills, basic model, nothing fancy new pu for 21k, so it didn't break the bank for me. If conditions change so that owning a gas-powered vehicle is no longer viable, will have to adjust like everyone else. But I feel I've done my part as well: commuted to work by bicycle for 15 years, and at 57 years of age, I've only owned 6 cars in my life--and I still own 3 of them.

So yes, I chose my vehicle based on owning motorcycles, but on much more as well.
 
Ski boat??? tell me about it quick before the moderators delete this post as not being motorcycle related.

I would like a basic Ram "work truck" for myself. My wife's, however, is not at all basic and, surprisingly enough, it's the quietest and most comfortable highway vehicle I've ever owned. (or, she's ever owned, I guess).
 
Thread starter
Guess I should have qualified my personal situation a bit more. I have a two-car garage and can't park anything outside, which means I don't have any other gas-powered toys, and live in a place where a small, light car can be driven year-round without a problem. My wife has a CRV, which doesn't take up too much room either, and serves the need to carry something that won't fit in a Fiesta, like her Mom.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Ski boat??? tell me about it quick before the moderators delete this post as not being motorcycle related.

I would like a basic Ram "work truck" for myself. My wife's, however, is not at all basic and, surprisingly enough, it's the quietest and most comfortable highway vehicle I've ever owned. (or, she's ever owned, I guess).
Haha...but my ski boat is completely related to motorcycles because when I crashed my HD Sportster in 2010 (sniff), I used the insurance money to pay for the boat. 2006 Glastron...basic boat, no tower, six cylinder 195 volvo-penta inboard outboard. Pulls tubers, wakeboard and skiers just fine. Lots of fun, the Columbia River is gorgeous...normal maintenance required, no regrets.

EmptySea_imp said:
Ski boat??? tell me about it quick before the moderators delete this post as not being motorcycle related.

I would like a basic Ram "work truck" for myself. My wife's, however, is not at all basic and, surprisingly enough, it's the quietest and most comfortable highway vehicle I've ever owned. (or, she's ever owned, I guess).
When I sat in the Ram 1500 for the first time, it just felt soooo "right" for me at 6'4". For long trips, it is very easy on the body. The other vehicles I've owned...I'm all scrunched up. Readily agree with "most comfortable hiway vehicle". Not even close compared to others I've owned.
 
pdedse_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Ski boat??? tell me about it quick before the moderators delete this post as not being motorcycle related.

I would like a basic Ram "work truck" for myself. My wife's, however, is not at all basic and, surprisingly enough, it's the quietest and most comfortable highway vehicle I've ever owned. (or, she's ever owned, I guess).
Haha...but my ski boat is completely related to motorcycles because when I crashed my HD Sportster in 2010 (sniff), I used the insurance money to pay for the boat. 2006 Glastron...basic boat, no tower, six cylinder 195 volvo-penta inboard outboard. Pulls tubers, wakeboard and skiers just fine. Lots of fun, the Columbia River is gorgeous...normal maintenance required, no regrets.

EmptySea_imp said:
Ski boat??? tell me about it quick before the moderators delete this post as not being motorcycle related.

I would like a basic Ram "work truck" for myself. My wife's, however, is not at all basic and, surprisingly enough, it's the quietest and most comfortable highway vehicle I've ever owned. (or, she's ever owned, I guess).
When I sat in the Ram 1500 for the first time, it just felt soooo "right" for me at 6'4". For long trips, it is very easy on the body. The other vehicles I've owned...I'm all scrunched up. Readily agree with "most comfortable hiway vehicle". Not even close compared to others I've owned.
Haha...but my ski boat is completely related to motorcycles because when I crashed my HD Sportster in 2010 (sniff), I used the insurance money to pay for the boat. 2006 Glastron...basic boat, no tower, six cylinder 195 volvo-penta inboard outboard. Pulls tubers, wakeboard and skiers just fine. Lots of fun, the Columbia River is gorgeous...normal maintenance required, no regrets.

EmptySea_imp said:
Ski boat??? tell me about it quick before the moderators delete this post as not being motorcycle related.

I would like a basic Ram "work truck" for myself. My wife's, however, is not at all basic and, surprisingly enough, it's the quietest and most comfortable highway vehicle I've ever owned. (or, she's ever owned, I guess).
When I sat in the Ram 1500 for the first time, it just felt soooo "right" for me at 6'4". For long trips, it is very easy on the body. The other vehicles I've owned...I'm all scrunched up. Readily agree with "most comfortable hiway vehicle". Not even close compared to others I've owned.

Spent a lot of my summer time behind a Correct Craft (1978 Ski Tique) in Wisconsin. Wakeboarding didn't exist back then, although we did "surf" my brothers Windsurfer behind it a couple of times. I'm hoping to find someone who has a boat and is willing to take me skiing in August for my 60th birthday -- it's been 10 years since the last time and nearly 20 since the time before. I'm sure all my skills are still intact. Right? LOL
 
We both have a CRV 4 wheel drive as this is useful in the winters and living in the mountains. For fun my wife bought a 2021 MINI Cooper S Hardtop 5 door , very well build and great to drive. When my biking days are over I will buy a MINI Country Man 4 wheel drive as they are bigger than the Coopers ; nice thing with MINI's is that you can make it look what YOU want , a bit like the CB 1100.
 
Thread starter
A CRV and a Mini make a good combination.
I always have an idea in the back of my head about what I'd do to replace any of my vehicles if, heaven forbid, one of them disappeared due to a crash, theft, or alien abduction. The list of small cars with manual transmissions available in the U.S. is quickly dwindling, but Mini is still one of them.
 
An 11 year old Nissan Frontier P/U and a Honda HRV, the only Honda I've ever owned that I wish I'd never bought. Reliable yes but noisy and the CV transmission is most annoying. Least the mpg is great, about the only good thing that can be said of it.
 
I do like the CV transmission on my 2017 , better mileage than previous CRV's.
The MINI is a 7 speed auto , VERY smooth. 0-60 in 6.9 seconds.
 
Thread starter
I'm sorta scared of CV transmissions, for the reason Redbirds mentioned. Keeping our 2010 on the road as long as possible. It's a grey box on wheels, my wife wouldn't care if she had a new one, and I'm very happy with that.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I'm sorta scared of CV transmissions, for the reason Redbirds mentioned. Keeping our 2010 on the road as long as possible. It's a grey box on wheels, my wife wouldn't care if she had a new one, and I'm very happy with that.
Honda's Fit CVT (2019) is maintenance free and is best-in-class implementation. It appears to have a very strong track record (I know ... a CVT). Drove one back from Kentucky to Canada, through the mountains, etc. - smooth and wonderful.

In addition, the behaviour is very peppy (maybe because the Fit is a light car), and the engine very quiet. Annual average economy is right there in range of the CB1100: 5.5 L / 100 kms (mixed driving).
 
I drive ( not very much...59,000 miles in 10 years) a Honda Ridgeline truck. My wife drives a Toyota SUV of some model lol. I dont pay much attention to cars.

When I drove for living I drove Civics and Accords. Great cars.

Edit: wife tells me her car is a Highlander
 
Thread starter
I just took a look at my maintenance log. I drove the Fiesta a whopping 2900 miles last year. I think she'll last a while.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Ski boat??? tell me about it quick before the moderators delete this post as not being motorcycle related.

I would like a basic Ram "work truck" for myself. My wife's, however, is not at all basic and, surprisingly enough, it's the quietest and most comfortable highway vehicle I've ever owned. (or, she's ever owned, I guess).
Haha...but my ski boat is completely related to motorcycles because when I crashed my HD Sportster in 2010 (sniff), I used the insurance money to pay for the boat. 2006 Glastron...basic boat, no tower, six cylinder 195 volvo-penta inboard outboard. Pulls tubers, wakeboard and skiers just fine. Lots of fun, the Columbia River is gorgeous...normal maintenance required, no regrets.

EmptySea_imp said:
Ski boat??? tell me about it quick before the moderators delete this post as not being motorcycle related.

I would like a basic Ram "work truck" for myself. My wife's, however, is not at all basic and, surprisingly enough, it's the quietest and most comfortable highway vehicle I've ever owned. (or, she's ever owned, I guess).
When I sat in the Ram 1500 for the first time, it just felt soooo "right" for me at 6'4". For long trips, it is very easy on the body. The other vehicles I've owned...I'm all scrunched up. Readily agree with "most comfortable hiway vehicle". Not even close compared to others I've owned.
Haha...but my ski boat is completely related to motorcycles because when I crashed my HD Sportster in 2010 (sniff), I used the insurance money to pay for the boat. 2006 Glastron...basic boat, no tower, six cylinder 195 volvo-penta inboard outboard. Pulls tubers, wakeboard and skiers just fine. Lots of fun, the Columbia River is gorgeous...normal maintenance required, no regrets.

EmptySea_imp said:
Ski boat??? tell me about it quick before the moderators delete this post as not being motorcycle related.

I would like a basic Ram "work truck" for myself. My wife's, however, is not at all basic and, surprisingly enough, it's the quietest and most comfortable highway vehicle I've ever owned. (or, she's ever owned, I guess).
When I sat in the Ram 1500 for the first time, it just felt soooo "right" for me at 6'4". For long trips, it is very easy on the body. The other vehicles I've owned...I'm all scrunched up. Readily agree with "most comfortable hiway vehicle". Not even close compared to others I've owned.

Spent a lot of my summer time behind a Correct Craft (1978 Ski Tique) in Wisconsin. Wakeboarding didn't exist back then, although we did "surf" my brothers Windsurfer behind it a couple of times. I'm hoping to find someone who has a boat and is willing to take me skiing in August for my 60th birthday -- it's been 10 years since the last time and nearly 20 since the time before. I'm sure all my skills are still intact. Right? LOL
Just like a bicycle...if you come visit here in August, I'll take you out and we'll take turns skiing till we can't go anymore...you know, 15 minutes ought to do. : )

My problem is I'm always the one driving the boat, so...considered yourself invited.

p
 
There you go, MTC. I'll look forward to the ride report and the photos come August. :D

Returning to the theme, my wife and I have a small car between us—a Kia Cerato—and the bike. I'd like to have a rant about people who have big cars that they don't need, but have decided not to.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
There you go, MTC. I'll look forward to the ride report and the photos come August. :D

Returning to the theme, my wife and I have a small car between us—a Kia Cerato—and the bike. I'd like to have a rant about people who have big cars that they don't need, but have decided not to.
That sometimes immense restraint.

:@ :-/ :)
 
Back
Top