rotor_imp said:
A word of warning
Cormanus_imp said:
egleaves, I wonder what happens when law enforcement trawls back through the records of trips and finds evidence that a person was, shall we say, slightly less than compliant with all elements of the traffic code? Is the evidence of the app sufficient to cause one grief?
jodtek, I have used an app called 'Eat, Sleep Ride' which captures a lot of the same stuff as 'Galileo'. They're a bit of a community. See
EatSleepRIDE - Motorcycle Community and GPS Trip Sharing App with Crash Detection Nowadays I just use a spreadsheet to keep a record of fuel consumption, kilometres travelled, dates, destinations on multi day trips etc. I now have it reasonably well automated so it generates running totals of kms ridden each year and stuff about which I've no idea why I'm interested.
By the way, one interpretation of what it really means if jodytek becomes zerotek may be a tad alarming.
In most jurisdictions, this is not happening - yet.
However, in civil litigation - divorce cases specifically - mobile devices, login credentials and encryption keys are frequently subpoenaed in order to prove infidelity.
While the demand for production of encryption keys can be fought by a defendant in a criminal case, in civil litigation it will invariably result in a contempt-of-court decision.
Just saying. (I.e., if you are playing with fire, leave your cell-phone at home

.
In most jurisdictions, this is not happening - yet.
However, in civil litigation - divorce cases specifically - mobile devices, login credentials and encryption keys are frequently subpoenaed in order to prove infidelity.
While the demand for production of encryption keys can be fought by a defendant in a criminal case, in civil litigation it will invariably result in a contempt-of-court decision.
Just saying. (I.e., if you are playing with fire, leave your cell-phone at home

.
Regarding proving "wrongdoing" in traffic, I don't think it could be accepted as evidence. The (sometimes) small location error of GPS means the error in instantaneous speed can be huge.
If you walk while logging your GPS location, and if you are "miss-located" by 40 meters for an instant, but then your position is corrected in the next second, the data will show that you have covered 40meters in one second (which is about 90mph).
So trackers make assumptions and smooth out "non-sense" data, but they are not very reliable for some uses.