Canvas saddlebags

syncronizator_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
In my country it is almost winter now.
I have some time to prepare for the next season.
For a long time I have been looking for an interesting idea (for me) for the use of canvas saddlebags.

I found new 50 years old Polish military backpacks on the local market.
Originally, there were disinfection equipment in them.
I made some changes:
I removed the belts. And I sewed up leather stripes.
I painted the bags to remove the ugly green color.
I ordered stainless steel bushes for the construction of the mount.
I gave it to bending and welding.
In my opinion the panniers look too big but are very useful.
My goal was to obtain the old character of panniers and to mask military origin.
The previous and final effect looks like this:
4 pictures more
 
Good looking bags! :thumbsup: How do you prevent them from sliding up / falling off? Maybe I just can't see the locking mechanism? :huh:
 
They look great.
 
Well done! +1
I did the same thing. Yours look to be larger and much more usable. I found two small canvas bags at the Military surplus store and mounted them to my CB. I simply kept the straps and crossed them over the seat to hold them to the bike. I put a bungie cord between the luggage rack and the rear foot rest mount to prevent them from contacting the wheel.

PS: I still can't figure out how to post a picture. I am a TechnoSaur, hear me roar.
Jim
 
tinboatcapt_imp said:
Well done! +1
I did the same thing. Yours look to be larger and much more usable. I found two small canvas bags at the Military surplus store and mounted them to my CB. I simply kept the straps and crossed them over the seat to hold them to the bike. I put a bungie cord between the luggage rack and the rear foot rest mount to prevent them from contacting the wheel.

PS: I still can't figure out how to post a picture. I am a TechnoSaur, hear me roar.
Jim
Step by step as per Max :)

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12717
 
Thread starter
Csory_imp said:
Good looking bags! :thumbsup: How do you prevent them from sliding up / falling off? Maybe I just can't see the locking mechanism? :huh:
THX to all for positive opinnions,

There is no locking mechanism, in it. The bushes and metal mount are tightly fited. This home made construction is tigt enough to keep the panniers in stabile position.
Useing in time will show advantages and disadvantages. For that moment i need to use a litle power to take it of.
 
Nice job of repurposed items. They're a little big for the CB, but if they fill a need, that's what counts. I put a small set of textile bags on the CB for awhile, but they rode too far forward cause of the lights, so I put the topbox back on. I actually prefer hard bags.
 
Back
Top