Can synthetic go 4K between change?

HikerToo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
At 500 miles I put Honda Full Synthetic 10/30 in my CB, was hoping to get 4K between changes( with filter of course), do you think this is OK?
With normal oil I would probably do every 3K.
 
I do 4,000 with Dino oil. Synthetic should go twice that I understand.
 
Synthetic is good for double or tripple what regular oil is in an automobile. In a bike I wouldn't go that long with a wet clutch, but I think 4k is well within the safe range.
 
My opinion on oil and $2.00 will get you coffee at Dunkin Donuts. I just think oil is the cheapest insurance you can buy for your motor and tranny. The oil change interval on my Toyota Tundra with synthetic is stated as 10k miles. I change it every 5k, just as I would do with dino. That is because I don't drive it that much to begin with, maybe 6k per year.

Whenever my father used to disagree with some choice I had made, after a lengthy discussion, he would always say; "do what you think is best son". Sent chills down my spine...really.
 
I wasn't suggesting you SHOULD go 8000 miles between changes with synthetic, just that going twice as long as Dino oil was one of the purported benefits of the synthetic blend.
 
Just changed the oil at 6200 miles with Amsoil 10w40 synthetic. I was thinking of going 4000 miles before the next change versus 3000 miles on Honda GN4. My question is is their a place I could send a sample of the Amsoil to have it analyzed to see how much life the oil had left after 4000 miles running??? New cars and trucks have an oil life indicator does anyone know how they work????
 
I would think 4K is fine as long as its the same season. I would not run it 2 years if your only doing 2K per year. Winter layup = condensation = breakdown. I will be changing mine next month at about 3K before winter sets in, would have gone 4K if I bought the bike earlier in the season.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
At 500 miles I put Honda Full Synthetic 10/30 in my CB, was hoping to get 4K between changes( with filter of course), do you think this is OK?
With normal oil I would probably do every 3K.
I would use regular oils for my bike - since 4 qt is a lot of oil - enough for many 2000+ cc car - I wait until my bike breaks free of 5K miles where I consider it fully break-in, I then use synthetic oil for 10K miles at least or once a year oil change.

Many yrs ago, Consumer Report bought some brand new American cars of same type, and gave it to NY taxi driver. One changed oil every 3K miles, the other used same oil for the next 40K miles. They opened the engines of both car, there wears are the same (minimal) on both, the compression were the same.

I haven't heard of oxidation of oil after 1 yrs unused in a motorcycle. And there is no report to tell me that oil will loose it viscosity and other characteristics if exposed to air. Oil is good, when people dump oil into recycle, there are plenty of life left, thus API: environment conserved oil
 
Life is simple, just follow the Owner's Manual and be on your merry way. Honda has been around a very long time making very good motor vehicles, I would believe their engineers when writing a manual.
 
The only way you'll know for sure; have your oil tested. Nothing like facts vs. opinions on the Internet. (no offense meant to you all here :) ).
 
Another oil thread.....

Fellas....it's 2013. Almost any well-known brand of oil you can buy today....dino or synthetic, is good, good, GOOD stuff. WAYYYY better than anything that was around 15 or 20 years ago. There is not a doubt in my mind that you could go 4,000....or 8,000 miles between changes, and I can guarantee your bike will not die of oil starvation or lack of lubrication later in it's life. You'll sell it or crash it or stop riding it before then. Even with lots of hot, abusive, city riding....it'll be alright. Anything else we do in addition to that is probably not necessary, and just makes us sleep better at night. Unless you're an iron-butt mile guzzler, crossing the country like most of us would think about going to the grocery store, change your oil once a year, minimum, and your bike will live a long, happy life.

That's it....that's all there is to say.
 
Thread starter
I've heard it can be the oil getting dirty by 4K(the manual recommends change every 4K) more so than the oil breaking down.
So even though it's synthetic, which holds up in low and high heat better than standard, it can still get dirty and need to be replaced..
 
Thread starter
dBuster, I understand why you may not like oil threads, and that's fine, but rather than try to derail someone else's thread(twice), just don't respond.
 
cbfan_imp said:
Life is simple, just follow the Owner's Manual and be on your merry way. Honda has been around a very long time making very good motor vehicles, I would believe their engineers when writing a manual.
Ta Da! And reading the manual!
 
HikerToo_imp said:
dBuster, I understand why you may not like oil threads, and that's fine, but rather than try to derail someone else's thread(twice), just don't respond.
And whom said I was derailing the thread other than yourself?

I was merely trying to put a little lightness to a thread that in any forum has been through the oil filters many times.

If you do not like things on a lighter side then don't read my comments. Twice even.

Here is an idea for the moderators/masters of this forum. Maybe a section in the "Honda CB1100 Discussions" area of the forum for all things, threads, posts, stickies, anything oil related? To keep all discussions on the subject in one area easy to search and read through.

On the topic of this thread.

Can synthetic or any oil go 4000 miles? It is up to you to get your oil changed. If you want to push it to 8000 miles it is your choice. IS it recommended, in my opinion follow the owners manual as someone else had posted earlier. But to each their own and if you want to run some other oil than what is recommended it is your choice and if you want to push it to as many miles as you want to go for it. Let us know the results.
 
Good logic, but it doesn't take into account the primary reason that aircraft engines use special oil. It's not because aircraft oil is of higher quality. It's because aircraft engines, by design, burn a lot of oil. Unlike modern cars and motorcycles, they're built to relatively loose tolerances and are expected to burn a certain amount of oil the gets past the rings. In fact, if your airplane engine doesn't burn any oil, you've got (or will soon have) a problem.

Aircraft oil has a different type of additive package than modern car/bike oil. The detergents and other additives in modern car/bike oils work great to keep our engines clean and keep oil from breaking down. Unfortunately, those additives, when burned in the combustion chamber, leave an ashy residue. Because of that, aircraft oil must do without those additives. Instead they use what is called an "ashless dispersant" (a.k.a AD oil). That is an additive that will not leave an ash residue when burned. The dispersant aids in holding contaminants suspended in the oil and carrying it to the screen or filter.

In sum, aircraft oil cannot use all of the latest spiffy additive packages that have been created for car/bike oils over the last decades because of the ash issue. AD oil is what we have to use because our airdraft engines burn a significant amount of oil.

I happen to use Phillips X/C 20w-50 in my plane and have for decades. It hasn't changed much over the years. For my bikes, there's no way I'd pass up a technologically modern oil for an oil designed for oil burning engines of 1950s/1960s technology.

BTW, aircraft engine manufacturers require that oil be changed every 25 or 50 hrs. of operation (lower number if you have a screen instead of a filter). Most of us tend to change it sooner than required. If you put an hour meter on your bike, I think you'd be alarmed at how often you'd have to change the oil.
 
Thread starter
I don't think the manual mentions using Synthetic oil......so any recommendations they make are based on their recommended( non-synthetic) oil. It does give 4K for normal oil, so guess it can be assumed synthetic can go at least that far between changes...
 
Back
Top