Can Am & the Slingshot

gossman_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Had an opportunity today and got on a Can Am Spyder. Interesting to say the least, I thought it was quite comfortable and reminiscent of my old Polaris trailboss I had in the early 90's. Sale price was $14900, nicely appointed with goodies but not the touring model. While there I took a gander at the Polaris Slingshot. I know its controversial, to me it isn't a motorcycle, but I'd still wear safety gear and so would the passenger. Chevy 4 cylinder, 175 hp, and I applaud them for thinking outside the box. Fun and fast, $20k price tag, I would want to live in a sunny clime if I had one. It's reminds me of the cars science fiction told me we would have in the New Millennium when I was a kid reading Ray Bradbury and watching Outer Limits. Yes I know these have safety issues but I am hoping they inspire more.
 
From what I've seen, safety gear really isn't much of a priority for people who ride those types of three wheelers. But they do seem popular in warmer climates.

 
I don't get the can am spyders. They don't go off road like a quad, it takes up a whole lane, leaning and cornering isn't like a motorcycle, Costs a boat load of money and no one will give you respect on the road... Just drive a convert-able.
c110051eda9912a497f5e205cae9f778.jpg
 
There's a short article in this month's Popular Mechanics on the Polaris Slingshot. Lest you get the wrong idea about me, I also subscribe to Teen Beat and Cosmo. I've never seen the Slingshot and the photos they have attached to the article are pretty crazy. It actually LOOKS like it would be a blast to ride (drive?). But it's way too much "look at me!" "look at me!" to ever own one. One thing the author wrote that I found interesting was the occasional "mule kick" from behind if you ride (drive?) over a pothole, the front tires passing on either side. That center rear tire then takes the brunt of the pothole and sends the jolt forward. With the sad condition of many of our roads, I could see that getting very old, very quick. On the other hand, owning one would give me the perfect excuse to dust off my cape and spandex and get back to defending truth, justice and the American way.
 
Thread starter
I think it still provides the feel of motorcycle riding while providing an improper sense of safety. I've owned dirt bikes, three wheelers, and quads. Rode them all over the woods and though they are entirely different in riding styles I always got the same basic enjoyment from them. I feel the same way about the can am. The sport model I was looking at was $15k out the door. The Contessa quit riding with me decades ago, has no interest in it today......with the exception that if I bought a Can Am. They are not uncommon around here and she has mentioned on occasion that she wouldn't mind riding with me on one of those. It's not in the cards for us today and may never be, especially since I would like a scrambler next.

the Slingshot just looks like a hoot. I have no intention in buying one but if they were available to rent I might do so.
 
The polaris slingshot is more of a poor man's corvette. It's based off chevy's Ecotec 2.2 liter motor, which is a solid platform that they beefed up for the slingshot. Make no mistake, the slingshot is a lot of fun and will excite you in acceleration, but for a 20k pricetag I will pass. I rode a spyder when they first came out. It does not corner well imho, opposite of a snowmobile and feels weird. Still, for the 14k price tag, I'd stick with a CB1100 for that.

To each his own, but I will never own either.
 
:s MG, Spandex? :s Now there's a thought I won't be able to get out of my mind for a while... where's the bang head against wall icon when you need one?!

Saw the Slingshot at the IMS. The front seemed absolutely huge, and for a vehicle that size there's definitely a lack of storage, but overall, I could see myself riding one some day.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
:s MG, Spandex? :s Now there's a thought I won't be able to get out of my mind for a while... where's the bang head against wall icon when you need one?!

Saw the Slingshot at the IMS. The front seemed absolutely huge, and for a vehicle that size there's definitely a lack of storage, but overall, I could see myself riding one some day.
C'mon, Classic. As a retired LEO, I'm sure you rocked the spandex unitard with an emblazened "S" on your chest beneath your uniform. It's ok, no one here is judging you.
 
Classic, there was Bruce and Janice and Herman and Bill. Not to mention Jack and Monty. Actually, the list goes on.

MG, I'm disappointed. As a mere Australian, I have always believed that American superheroes NEVER gave up. Is that wrong? Are you allowed to leave the spandex to gather dust and the cape to attract moths simply because you can't find a vehicle that appeals?
 
I have always found the best superhero stories to include periods of despair, self-doubt, and yes, even outright rejection of purpose. It is that touch of vulnerability and human-ness that makes us, I mean, them, relatable. It allows us mere mortals to see a sliver of ourselves in those otherwise super-human characters. It demonstrates that even the mightiest struggle. That the greatest power of all is facing the enemy within and overcoming.

American superheroes do give up. They lose direction. Lose a sense of purpose. Faith abandons them. But never permanently. We, uh, they, eventually dust off their spandex, patch their moth eaten capes, and are reborn. Higher. Faster. Stronger. Sometimes, all it takes to ignite those phoenix flames of resurrection is the right motorcycle. Or three-wheeled thingy.
 
Phew! I'll look forward to the world becoming a better place.
 
xNE0x_imp said:
The polaris slingshot is more of a poor man's corvette. It's based off chevy's Ecotec 2.2 liter motor, which is a solid platform that they beefed up for the slingshot. Make no mistake, the slingshot is a lot of fun and will excite you in acceleration, but for a 20k pricetag I will pass. I rode a spyder when they first came out. It does not corner well imho, opposite of a snowmobile and feels weird. Still, for the 14k price tag, I'd stick with a CB1100 for that.

To each his own, but I will never own either.
I was following a couple of them, a few months back. When we came to a sweeping corner, I was amazed at how much they appeared to struggle. No thanks.
 
I too am of the opinion that a Miata with the top down would be a better value than these three wheelers. But if that is what floats your boat, go for it.
 
Rboe_imp said:
I too am of the opinion that a Miata with the top down would be a better value than these three wheelers. But if that is what floats your boat, go for it.
More fun as well, if it was this one...

 
It's taken a while to find it, but I wonder, MG, I wonder if this is the sort of thing we have to look forward to?


 
Thread starter
Those cartoons were great when I was a kid! I'll never own a Slingshot but I did think it was cool looking. No one wants to see me in spandex though :D that would be criminal in itself!

The Can Am, I have little doubt that the idea will be improved in the coming years and a better product will become available. Of course, I won't be able to afford one of them in the future anymore than I can afford one now. But it is fun looking at them. And I really really like my CB
 
What a great blast from the past that was! Thanks Cormanus. Growing up, my brother and I were glued to the television on Saturday mornings until my parents would force to go outside and play. I suppose "El Kabong" is one way to fight crime.
 
Back
Top