Californian members

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
Hope no-one has been hurt or sustained damage in the earthquake.
 
Very far south from me. I didn't feel a thing.
 
By strange coincidence I just stayed overnight in Ridgecrest. Nearest hotels to Death Valley. Pretty remote area, not many people around.
 
I didn't feel it because I was on a hike, and it was too far away. Any closer and it would have disturbed the entertainment lawyers under the rocks.
 
Never heard of Ridgecrest until about a week ago. Now it looks like we'll be staging a bike ride out of there. I plan on using the CB. :)

Sidebar: I have heard of China Lake, our Physics department worked with them, sold them a Field Mill developed at our college to be used as a lightening threat detector.
 
Wow, in Fallbrook, north San Diego county and just felt a decent aftershock. Hundreds of miles from Ridgecrest, but must be near the fault line.
 
Ahh. This evening’s quake was larger than yesterday’s, 7.1 vs 6.4, which probably explains how it rattled my in-laws place so far away.

Damage is reported in the town of Trona, near Ridgecrest. However, when I passed through Trona on my way to Ridgecrest recently, it looked so eerily empty that I researched it. The town was built to service a Borax plant several years ago. The name Trona is a product used in the processing of Borax. The plant operation slowed to the point that there are just a few permanent residents left. Trona is apparently used these days for filming abandoned town scenes.

Probably few affected people in that town, but my I heart goes out to any Trona residents here on the board and hope your homes and families are ok.
 
Yes, felt it in Orange Co. I was upstairs and felt a rocking sensation. Looked out the window into the backyard, and the water in the pool was sloshing back and forth. Didn't get out, but then on the second one, it really sloshed about, a big dollop splashed right out. I'm a SoCal native, though, and quakes don't rattle me, too much, anyway.
 
Thread starter
That’s the weirdest thing: seeing the effect of an earthquake on a swimming pool.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Yes, felt it in Orange Co. I was upstairs and felt a rocking sensation. Looked out the window into the backyard, and the water in the pool was sloshing back and forth. Didn't get out, but then on the second one, it really sloshed about, a big dollop splashed right out. I'm a SoCal native, though, and quakes don't rattle me, too much, anyway.
No risks of cracking pool foundation? Is that an issue?
 
This was somewhat interesting. Reported for my shift at the Petersen Museum this morning, and learned that the earthquake last night tripped a sensor that shut down one of the museum’s two elevators. The building dates from 1962, so not ancient, but not ultra modern either.
 
Pools are pretty thick, never heard of one cracking. If there's no water in the pool, they have been known to work themselves right out of the ground due to seismic activity. Water sloshing back and forth is kind of spooky.
 
i remember the ‘94 quake well. I ran to my bedroom doorway and braced myself. I heard my roommate, a lovely young girl, screaming in terror. She burst out of her bedroom and latched herself onto me, screaming until the shaking stopped. Afterward, we got ourselves straightened out, and noticed a rythmic splashing noise.

We walked around the house looking for the source, then she flipped on the rear porch light and started screaming again at the very creepy sight of our pool water sloshing back and forth. It was mesmerizing.
 
And since we never know when The Big One may hit LA, I have taken all proper disaster preparedness actions. Just this evening I moved all of my whiskey bottles down to the bottom shelf for protection.
 
Back
Top