Buying a new bike - FJR1300

postoak_imp

Been there
Thread starter
So, I sold my 2014 Valkyrie, and think I want an FJR1300. Anybody want to talk me out of it?

Remember, last time I was set on getting a 1976 KZ900 but several of you tried to dissaude me.

I want to downsize, so was thinking about a T120 Bonneville but those are very scarce on the used market and the dealers are not discounting. This must be a very popular bike!

So, I thought about the FJR. It is only 120 pounds lighter than the Valkyrie and I would have preferred lighter, but I just test rode one and it seems quite a bit lighter than I thought it would. The power, for someone who has never ridden a sportsbike is amazing!

The two FJRs out there are a 2005 for $4250 and a 2014 for $7000.
 
postoak_imp said:
So, I sold my 2014 Valkyrie, and think I want an FJR1300. Anybody want to talk me out of it?

Remember, last time I was set on getting a 1976 KZ900 but several of you tried to dissaude me.

I want to downsize, so was thinking about a T120 Bonneville but those are very scarce on the used market and the dealers are not discounting. This must be a very popular bike!

So, I thought about the FJR. It is only 120 pounds lighter than the Valkyrie and I would have preferred lighter, but I just test rode one and it seems quite a bit lighter than I thought it would. The power, for someone who has never ridden a sportsbike is amazing!

The two FJRs out there are a 2005 for $4250 and a 2014 for $7000.
Buy a 2014....Ferret has it
Good luck and go ahead, always :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
The nearest T120 is over 200 miles from here and is $12,300 plus prep, and so on. There is a 2009 T100 near me for $4500 that I'll probably look at tomorrow. But have you seen this classic review of it?

 
Haven't ridden either of these bike however they appear to me at opposite ends of the spectrum. Any particular application that you have in mind for the next bike?
 
Thread starter
There is no question that the Bonnie fits my needs better (just cruising around) and it only weighs 506 pounds vs the FJR's 630 pounds vs the Valkyrie's 754 pounds.

Although I haven't ridden one yet, I've read the T100 is acceleration-wise about like my old Nighthawk 750 which seems like a step backward. I've also read it doesn't corner as well as the Nighthawk.

Bottom line, I guess, is that the FJR, although a bit impractical, gets me excited.
 
New Bonnies are much quicker and have the new 1200 High Torque motor, cruise, ride modes, ABS I believe. MY brother has a 2016 or 2017. Cranberry and silver. Nice bike and I would put it in the CB1100 class as far as just running around bikes, but personally I'd rather have the CB 1100 (and do).

As far as the FJR? I just got a 2018, and imo for just riding around, it's way overkill. IF you are not going to be running some high speed 10 hour days, pointed toward the horizon, kinda crazy to have a liquid cooled, shaft drive, 145 horsepower 600 pound plus, high speed train in the garage.

Just my opinion.
 
The ferret_imp said:
New Bonnies are much quicker and have the new 1200 High Torque motor, cruise, ride modes, ABS I believe. MY brother has a 2016 or 2017. Cranberry and silver. Nice bike and I would put it in the CB1100 class as far as just running around bikes, but personally I'd rather have the CB 1100 (and do).

As far as the FJR? I just got a 2018, and imo for just riding around, it's way overkill. IF you are not going to be running some high speed 10 hour days, pointed toward the horizon, kinda crazy to have a liquid cooled, shaft drive, 145 horsepower 600 pound plus, high speed train in the garage.

Just my opinion.
A very seasoned, experienced, measured, thoughtful, and valid opinion.

Just my opinion. :)
 
Stichill_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
New Bonnies are much quicker and have the new 1200 High Torque motor, cruise, ride modes, ABS I believe. MY brother has a 2016 or 2017. Cranberry and silver. Nice bike and I would put it in the CB1100 class as far as just running around bikes, but personally I'd rather have the CB 1100 (and do).

As far as the FJR? I just got a 2018, and imo for just riding around, it's way overkill. IF you are not going to be running some high speed 10 hour days, pointed toward the horizon, kinda crazy to have a liquid cooled, shaft drive, 145 horsepower 600 pound plus, high speed train in the garage.

Just my opinion.
A very seasoned, experienced, measured, thoughtful, and valid opinion.

Just my opinion. :)
A very seasoned, experienced, measured, thoughtful, and valid opinion.

Just my opinion. :)
If I had Ferret money I’d love to have an FJR also after reading that description above.
I’ve managed to postpone foot surgery for 6 months so I picked up a lightly used 2010 NT 700V Thursday afternoon. I had made a deal on a NC700 automatic a few weeks ago in GA but the deal fell thru.
Took the new bike out today for a shakedown rige and it was great, good handling, good wind protection and average 61 mpg over 200 miles at 55 to 75 mixed riding

Can’t post photo for some reason
 
Thread starter
Yeah, the T120 is just out for the reasons I gave above.

I was really prepared to find the FJR too heavy and too slow responding but it surprised me by being noticeably more flickable and lighter than the Valkyrie, which I put up with for 10,000 miles.

Longer term I was thinking I'd put 10,000 miles on this bike and then take another look at the T120 to see if the price has come down on the older ones.

I think I'd rather have a CB1100 over the T100 and I noticed the guy I sold my 2013 to has it up for sale. He only has put about 300-400 miles on it. Something to think about.
 
I’m with Ferret and Stichill, postoak: the FJR is an awful lot of motorcycle for tooling around the town. If I had one, I’d want to be spending a lot of time traveling at the speed limit on highways.
 
When the FJR 1300 came out on the market years ago a german motorbike magazine 'Mopped' titled its first test with 'Donald Druck' , something like 'Donald Pressure' in English. A play with words derived from Donald Duck, not so obvious in English. The magazine was one with a joking tendency and so bad, it doesn't exist anymore. It brought a lot of humor to an often too serious technical field of facts and numbers. I think they were right at that time and even today the description may fit.

Never rode one, never will, because it is out of the purpose bike line which don't catches my soul.
(Motorbike) life shouldn't be so darn' pragmatical all the time.

And it isn't look at the CB or the....


Wisedrum
 
Just before I bought my 2013 cb 1100 ,I had looked at a 2012 fjr with a sargent seat . Really liked that bike,black loaded with extras, I also have a 2004 Road King custom. Been thinking about selling both bikes and getting an 2018 FJR ,but really don’t care for the blue color. Seems to check off all the boxes for the type of riding that I do. I need to buy a newer year to get the 6 speed ( requirement)
 
Thread starter
I actually don't want a 6-speed. I just don't see why everyone wants a 6-speed on these bikes with so much power and torque. You could probably be just fine on this bike with a 3-speed!
 
postoak_imp said:
I actually don't want a 6-speed. I just don't see why everyone wants a 6-speed on these bikes with so much power and torque. You could probably be just fine on this bike with a 3-speed!
Sorry, but am of a different opinion...my 50cc racer in 1978 had 3-speed tranny.
2013 CB - 5 speed and now 2014 CB - 6 speed = what a different bike and riding
 
Thread starter
Can you tell me how? When I run through first and second I’m at cruising speed and even at 80 mph the rpms are plenty low on the CB1100
 
The bike just becomes less frantic in 6th. Smoother, quieter, gets better gas mileage, less stress on the motor, riding the torque wave that's available even at those low rpms. Not that it is particularly frantic in 5th, but the number of rpms that feels comfortable to a person varies just like windshields and seats. Some guys want to cruise around at 2500 rpms, motor barely loafing, some feel 4-6K is in the right range on the edge of an acceleration peak, and some people don't think you should drop below 6K. Sport riders would lauugh at 6K.

So do you just ride around in second since you are then at cruising speed? or do you use 3rd thru 5th? ...Same thing.
 
Back
Top