Buying a new bike - FJR1300

I agree ferret why buy a 5 speed when 6 speed is available, if I could have seen into the future I would have waited on the 6 speed cb 1100 . Just my 2 cents.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
The bike just becomes less frantic in 6th. Smoother, quieter, gets better gas mileage, less stress on the motor, riding the torque wave that's available even at those low rpms. Not that it is particularly frantic in 5th, but the number of rpms that feels comfortable to a person varies just like windshields and seats. Some guys want to cruise around at 2500 rpms, motor barely loafing, some feel 4-6K is in the right range on the edge of an acceleration peak, and some people don't think you should drop below 6K. Sport riders would lauugh at 6K.

So do you just ride around in second since you are then at cruising speed? or do you use 3rd thru 5th? ...Same thing.
I wear earplugs, so quieter isn't an issue. My Nighthawk was doing 6000 rpm at 85 and I had no problem with that. I would normally keep it at 4000-4500 - at the bottom of the max torque curve, as you say. On my 5-speed CB1100 I would go 1st, 2nd, 5th on spirited acceleration. To me, it is annoying to shift, run the revs up just a little, and then shift to the next gear, and then repeat that over and over. A sixth gear would just make it that much more annoying. Mileage isn't a factor either.
 
obleo_imp said:
I agree ferret why buy a 5 speed when 6 speed is available, if I could have seen into the future I would have waited on the 6 speed cb 1100 . Just my 2 cents.
+1
 
T120 is a nice bike, but perhaps on the wrong side of value for your money.
FJR, like you suggest, a very good bike but not fitting YOUR riding requirements (well, shall we say, not fitting all that well).
CB1100, A better choice than the two above - but you have already sold it before, do those reasons still hold?
Moto Guzzi V7ii or 7iii. You can get them at a reasonable price, in my experience they have a much higher grin factor than the T120 (I didn't get one because the CB was a better fit physically). But you'd probably have to do your own maintenance (having said that, they ARE easy to work on and many Guzzi owners buy them for that reason).

CB500X; I hear nothing but good about these bikes and if you fit them I think they should be on your short list. They tick a lot of boxes.

Royal Enfield; I consider this a bit of an outlayer, but for some people they are the bees knees. For others, not so much. If you really like a classical looking proper motorcycle then this is your baby. Newer ones have fewer QC issues.

I like 6 speeds, maybe because the Griso has 6. Typically you don't choose 6 until 75-80. So that may have something to do with it. In any event, match the tranny to the engine torque curve (and job) and see where the numbers come out.
 
Good for you, postoak. We’ll all look forward to hearing how you get on with it.
 
Congrats poastoak. Indeed a super machine. Picture please.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Good for you, postoak. We’ll all look forward to hearing how you get on with it.
+1 = buy and own what you like to be happy Postoak
Edit pics as well, please...and keep it in a lower gear as you like it:P:thumbsup:
Safe :biker:
 
Thread starter
One thing I find interesting is that most riders around here ride Harley's or other big cruisers -- and a lot of them just cruise around on them but nobody says anything about that.

The FJR is 87.8 inches long -- only 1.3 inches longer than the CB1100! Sure, it weighs 100 pounds more but the engine gives it acceleration that far exceeds the 1100. I know Texas isn't like the rest of the country in what we ride -- the FJR will still be considered a somewhat "small" bike around here.

But, if I find its too big for me, I'll let you guys know. I don't mind admitting I'm wrong.
 
postoak_imp said:
Interesting post Rboe, but I bought the 2014 FJR. The owner is bringing it to my house tomorrow.
Bugger! I skimmed the posts to see if you mentioned already buying the bike - didn't want to pile on if you had already got it. Sorry about that.

One of the Guzzi guys bought one and they seem to have a very dedicated fan base so it the bike does not click with you I don't think it's because of the bike. They seem to be good machines. You'll have to check out the owners forum for all the nitty gritty. From what I have been told the older ones have a few weak spots that need sorting, the newer ones come pre-sorted.

In the mean time I do hope you'll give us your riding/owning impressions; especially long term impressions. I know the CB was love at first sight, then there was a period where I was less than thrilled, but the love meter has gone back up again. It will be interesting to see how you and the bike click. Good job!
 
Thread starter
I am absolutely loving my new FJR! I've had four bikes: 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750, 2013 Honda CB1100, 2014 Honda GL1800C Valkyrie, and now this Yamaha 2014 FJR1300A. This is very much my favorite of the four. My legs don't feel cramped (I'm 6'1"), and it has just a bit of forward lean -- a little more than the others -- but I wouldn't mind a little more. The handlebars are adjustable and I plan on moving them to their most-forward position.

It has the solidity of the Valkyrie at highway speeds and almost the maneuverability of the CB1100. Sitting on the bike I never feel like I am on a "big" bike but those panniers give me a welcome road presence. I think of this bike as a female because she certainly has some hips! :)
















Since I got her I've removed the sticker from the tank, put on new tires, changed the oil and filter, and flushed the brakes and clutch.
 
All set up for a Givi top case too with the stronger Givi SR 357 rack. Good deal.
 
Good looking bike, postoak. Glad you’re enjoying it.
 
Back
Top