Buying a CB1100

Henrik_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I have mentioned on here a little bit about my decision to buying my CB1100, but as you may have come to notice, other than riding motorcycles, I also like to write. I keep a blog that I call "Anger Management" that I use to vent on when I feel like it, and the topics vary a bit. Currently I am in the process of writing about the Mini, which obviously has nothing to do with motorcycles, or this post for that matter.

Well, since there may be some that have not yet decided about buying a CB1100, or that wonder what may bring a person to buying one, I thought I would share the thought process I went through. Since this is well documented on my blog, rather than re-typing the whole thing I provide you here the links to the interesting entries for you to read.

1. And Now For Something Completely Different
2. The Beemer
3. So Now What?
4. Moto Guzzi Griso
5. Honda CB1100
6. My New Therapy

Indeed that huge smile I had after testing the CB1100 is still there, and perhaps even bigger now that I can indulge whenever I feel like it!
 
Very well written Henrik. Enjoyed reading it very much. As a free lance writer and Associate Editor in another field, I wish all writers were so concise and clear in their writings. I think your assessment of the CB 1100 was spot on, so having never ridden the other two, would assume your observations of their characteristics are right as well. Sound as if you made the right choice. Probably good that no Beemers were available huh?
 
Thread starter
Thank you for the compliments!

Indeed, it was probably a good thing the Beemer was not available. I had a go on one last Sunday again as there was another BMW test day next to my house, and being very familiar with the Honda now I can safely say that I prefer it to the R9T.
 
Thanks for posting those links Henrik. I enjoyed reading them too. A good journey you made and it seems like you've ended up with the bike that's right for you.
 
I saw the CB and lusted after it for several years. Then in 2012 Moto Guzzi came out with the green SE Griso and I was smitten. At that point I figured Honda would not bring the CB to the US so I bought the Griso as the next best thing. I ended up getting the CB when it came over so now I have both. I guess I should go get a R9T now. :D

I was really liking the V7 Special, but with my long frame and legs it was not a great fit, and the CB is. Funny how these things work out. Your impression of the CB mirrors my feeling to a T. We're a bit further apart on the Griso; but then mine has been been tweaked. But it's not nearly as nice in the city as the CB and the CB is almost as good as the Griso on the open road.
 
Henrik_imp said:
Thank you for the compliments!

Indeed, it was probably a good thing the Beemer was not available. I had a go on one last Sunday again as there was another BMW test day next to my house, and being very familiar with the Honda now I can safely say that I prefer it to the R9T.
Especially considering the nearly 50% higher price of that R9T. :-/
 
Excellent blog, Henrik! I read your Mini Moke posts as well! I've always been a fan of ultralight utility vehicles. As a teenager, my friend and I bought a 2 cylinder Citroen Mehari (very rare in the U.S) to drive around the deserts of the Southwest. If it got stuck in the sand, we would just pick it up and move it to firmer ground and off we would go :)
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
Excellent blog, Henrik! I read your Mini Moke posts as well! I've always been a fan of ultralight utility vehicles. As a teenager, my friend and I bought a 2 cylinder Citroen Mehari (very rare in the U.S) to drive around the deserts of the Southwest. If it got stuck in the sand, we would just pick it up and move it to firmer ground and off we would go :)
A Mehari in the US!? Wow, I never thought one would have made it over there.
 
I was able to test ride both the CB1100 and R9T in the same day. I, too, would have taken the Honda between the two. To me, Bimmer felt more of a brute... Nice bike, but not my cup of tea.

Enjoy your new toy!
 
Henrik_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Excellent blog, Henrik! I read your Mini Moke posts as well! I've always been a fan of ultralight utility vehicles. As a teenager, my friend and I bought a 2 cylinder Citroen Mehari (very rare in the U.S) to drive around the deserts of the Southwest. If it got stuck in the sand, we would just pick it up and move it to firmer ground and off we would go :)
A Mehari in the US!? Wow, I never thought one would have made it over there.
They were sold here for one year in 1970. I think the total number was around 200. I've only seen two of them in my life.
 
Back
Top