Buy and sell in the U.S.

Houtman_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Discounted tickets because nobody wants to see them .......
lol - currently no one can easily see 'em from north of the border.

But, I can almost throw a stone at Buffalo from the north river bank.
lol - currently no one can easily see 'em from north of the border.

But, I can almost throw a stone at Buffalo from the north river bank.
I hope that you realize that I was only kidding , went to the Buffalo Stadium years ago for Stones concert.
That's sounds alright with me.

Hard to believe ol' Charlie been gone already this long.

Heck, he was old back in '89.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Discounted tickets because nobody wants to see them .......
lol - currently no one can easily see 'em from north of the border.

But, I can almost throw a stone at Buffalo from the north river bank.
lol - currently no one can easily see 'em from north of the border.

But, I can almost throw a stone at Buffalo from the north river bank.
I hope that you realize that I was only kidding , went to the Buffalo Stadium years ago for Stones concert.
That's sounds alright with me.

Hard to believe ol' Charlie been gone already this long.

Heck, he was old back in '89.
That's sounds alright with me.

Hard to believe ol' Charlie been gone already this long.

Heck, he was old back in '89.
I saw the Rolling Stones in Charlotte last week , great show but we ALL missed Charlie.
 
Considering that it's tricky to buy and sell a bike in the US as a non-resident, I think if you are going there for an extended period of time, the best would be to ship the bike on a RoRo and return it the same way. At least you will know exactly what you are riding and there would be no paperwork issues. People from the middle east do it very often when traveling to Europe and the US, I prefer to rent, it takes the breakdown issues out of the equation as most rental vehicles come with comprehensive insurance, roadside assistance and a replacement vehicle in case of a breakdown. And considering you are going to the US, maybe renting out an adventure motorcycle is a better choice because many places you will want to see will involve going off the beaten path

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
I know it's far fetched, but would anyone here on the forum be willing to borrow me his CB1100 for a month ?
I would be more than willing to take out my full all risks insurance, provide a cash deposit for whatever isn't covered by the insurance (often labelled own risk) and certainly return her in the same good shape she was when given to me. For extra pay per day or per mile, we could always discuss - as long as it doesn't end up being more expensive than the rentals. Caveat, once agreed, it would really be hard on me if you changed your mind 2 weeks before my trip, or upon arrival.
It's a little far fetched, as I said. Just a thought.
 
j3gq_imp said:
I know it's far fetched, but would anyone here on the forum be willing to borrow me his CB1100 for a month ?
I would be more than willing to take out my full all risks insurance, provide a cash deposit for whatever isn't covered by the insurance (often labelled own risk) and certainly return her in the same good shape she was when given to me. For extra pay per day or per mile, we could always discuss - as long as it doesn't end up being more expensive than the rentals. Caveat, once agreed, it would really be hard on me if you changed your mind 2 weeks before my trip, or upon arrival.
It's a little far fetched, as I said. Just a thought.
Mmm, like Airbnb.
 
Don’t they a have a thing like that GO? I know a co-worker was going to rent his out like that but— a good way to get you bike back messed up. Not saying J3 would though.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Don’t they a have a thing like that GO? I know a co-worker was going to rent his out like that but— a good way to get you bike back messed up. Not saying J3 would though.
@LP, of course it's a chance if you rent to "anybody", that's why the rental prices are that high. An overseas traveler in his 60ies however has any possible reason to make it a pleasant journey AND return the bike in perfect shape - wouldn't you agree ? Trouble is the last thing I need on a vacation ;):sleepy:
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Don’t they a have a thing like that GO? I know a co-worker was going to rent his out like that but— a good way to get you bike back messed up. Not saying J3 would though.
Yeah, I've read about it either here and/or in another forum.

Seems popular in California, which should be no surprise. Certainly makes sense if one has an excess of motorcycles not in regular use.

Like with anything related to renting, the lending party has to do what they can to protect their property and mitigate risks as much as possible.

Car rental abuse is a good example. Wear and tear is sight unseen.

However, assuming all good-will intended, it could be a very nice business experience for both parties.
 
j3gq_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
You may be better off just renting a bike from a nationwide company. Ride it like to stole it, and return it to the same organization but in a differing locality, like renting a U-Haul trailer one-way.
I thought about this, but honestly I think cost are prohibitive. Not if one rents for 10 days, but certainly for anything over a months. ...
Comes on top that I won't find a CB1100, would I ?
pekingduck_imp said:
Have you decided what states you will be visiting? And where you will buy/sell it? That way residents can give solid info as Nachodaddy did.
There are two areas which would work best for me :
Georgia/Alabama or Arizona/Utah.
Tom_imp said:
You might be able to save or maybe even make some money if you buy before you get here and sell on your way out. Markets and prices change considerably depending on the region. I live in in NJ near NYC and everything is more expensive. In many places used bikes will be be cheaper. Buffalo NY, for example, is a place I always see better prices on CraigsList. (https://buffalo.craigslist.org/d/motorcycles-scooters/search/mca) Here in the US, CraigsList is not necessarily just for perverts. Not judging. One option would be buy in a rurla area and sell newa a big city. I bet you could aslo find someone with a registered bike for sale, give them the asking price, ride around for however long you like on their registration, and sell it back to them , or someone else at the end of the trip. Of course this will require some leg work. If you find or trust someone over here, pay them to buy, register and insure the cycle for you before you get here. The hardest part of your plan will indeed be getting an appointment to title your cycle and getting a title without being a resident of some kind. If you find a bike around North Jersey/NYC, I'd help you out for a small fee.
To all of you, and to Tom too, thanks for really good advice !! And no doubt, the fee I wouldn't mind in the least.
I thought about this, but honestly I think cost are prohibitive. Not if one rents for 10 days, but certainly for anything over a months. ...
Comes on top that I won't find a CB1100, would I ?
pekingduck_imp said:
Have you decided what states you will be visiting? And where you will buy/sell it? That way residents can give solid info as Nachodaddy did.
There are two areas which would work best for me :
Georgia/Alabama or Arizona/Utah.
Tom_imp said:
You might be able to save or maybe even make some money if you buy before you get here and sell on your way out. Markets and prices change considerably depending on the region. I live in in NJ near NYC and everything is more expensive. In many places used bikes will be be cheaper. Buffalo NY, for example, is a place I always see better prices on CraigsList. (https://buffalo.craigslist.org/d/motorcycles-scooters/search/mca) Here in the US, CraigsList is not necessarily just for perverts. Not judging. One option would be buy in a rurla area and sell newa a big city. I bet you could aslo find someone with a registered bike for sale, give them the asking price, ride around for however long you like on their registration, and sell it back to them , or someone else at the end of the trip. Of course this will require some leg work. If you find or trust someone over here, pay them to buy, register and insure the cycle for you before you get here. The hardest part of your plan will indeed be getting an appointment to title your cycle and getting a title without being a resident of some kind. If you find a bike around North Jersey/NYC, I'd help you out for a small fee.
To all of you, and to Tom too, thanks for really good advice !! And no doubt, the fee I wouldn't mind in the least.
I'd do it for free but I just hate going to eh DMV
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Don’t they a have a thing like that GO? I know a co-worker was going to rent his out like that but— a good way to get you bike back messed up. Not saying J3 would though.
https://www.riders-share.com/

They do. It has been a thing for a while now. @j3gq check out the website and study all the legalities involved. May turn out to be a good thing.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
I STILL NEED YOUR HELP.
The site is exactly what I need. But during sign-up (and before you can contact any owners) they are asking for an American motorcycle endorsement - which of course I don't have. I am legal and endorsed to drive anything from bicycle to tank in the U.S., to ride horses, and to fly anything up to 4 engines. But my motorcycle license is European. They say that a foreign license would work in the sign-up process but it doesn't. So .... long story short ...
Could it be that anybody might be willing to continue the sign-up process for me and with me (with my email address and his license number, etc. ) so that I can get in touch with the owners of the bikes available ? I will make sure that your number or name will never show up in any rental or other papers, so no consequences. This is just to get past the sign-up process.
 
j3gq_imp said:
I STILL NEED YOUR HELP.
The site is exactly what I need. But during sign-up (and before you can contact any owners) they are asking for an American motorcycle endorsement - which of course I don't have. I am legal and endorsed to drive anything from bicycle to tank in the U.S., to ride horses, and to fly anything up to 4 engines. But my motorcycle license is European. They say that a foreign license would work in the sign-up process but it doesn't. So .... long story short ...
Could it be that anybody might be willing to continue the sign-up process for me and with me (with my email address and his license number, etc. ) so that I can get in touch with the owners of the bikes available ? I will make sure that your number or name will never show up in any rental or other papers, so no consequences. This is just to get past the sign-up process.
Did you try just emailing or calling the customer support? I'm sure if you explain the situation, they will sign you up from their end, overriding any blockades you might be getting from the sign-up page algorithm

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Back
Top