Bucket List

Brutal heat in CO today. Stay hydrated and keep an eye on your rear tire — heat, weight, and high speeds are not kind to tires on powerful bikes.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Brutal heat in CO today. Stay hydrated and keep an eye on your rear tire — heat, weight, and high speeds are not kind to tires on powerful bikes.
Well we have CB1100's so that won't be a problem then :D
 
Thread starter
102.3 for max temp today.

108 in Grand Junction tomorrow... hope for some cool temps in between.

Dry fit T- shirt, mesh jacket, water poured down jacket every 25/50 miles helps a lot.
 
Your mesh jacket will cause you to evaporate moisture too quickly. They’re effective in humid conditions but not so much in hot, arid conditions. If you have a way to zip up your jacket to keep the wind from drying you out, all the better.
 
the mesh works great with the water bath on the t shirt.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Your mesh jacket will cause you to evaporate moisture too quickly. They’re effective in humid conditions but not so much in hot, arid conditions. If you have a way to zip up your jacket to keep the wind from drying you out, all the better.
Good advice. It's hard for us denizens of humid subtropical states to comprehend the thermodynamics of hot, semi-arid climates in the summer. Although evaporative cooling works to an extent, at some point low humidity dehydrates and airflow at ambient air temperatures above say 99-100 °F acts to raise body temperature rather than lower it. The only defense is to stop cooking yourself by convection and stop the air flow.
 
Thread starter
I tried a long sleeve shirt today under the mesh (all I have) today.... it stayed wet longer than just the T-shirt... but the cooling effect was much less dramatic.

With the t- shirt, it feels like ice packs for about 30 min.

I apply the water while moving so I don't have to stop so often.

It's amazing you can apply 100 degree water and it makes you cold.

Passing underneath tomorrow LR.... thanks for the tips!

Thanks Ferret for teaching how to travel on a motorcycle.... I wouldn't have known where to start without your help.


.
 
water on, water in, water out Stichill. I do remember on my bucket list trip thru Az, Tx, N Mex, Ca, Colo and Kansas drinking a lot of Gatorade too. The red one.

I'm just happy that you have taken to motorcycle traveling so well Offroad. I remember in 2017 when you said you didn't think you could ride 200 miles in day. Well, look at you now a few years later! A first class motorcycle touring rider!
 
If I were traveling alone in a hot climate, honestly I'd start before dawn and take a siesta mid-day, then ride on into the dusk.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Your mesh jacket will cause you to evaporate moisture too quickly. They’re effective in humid conditions but not so much in hot, arid conditions. If you have a way to zip up your jacket to keep the wind from drying you out, all the better.
Sadly, there is alotta humidity in this corner of the continent.
 
Thread starter
Made it to Grand Junction.

Highway 50 was great.... closed and had to take 92 as detour... it was great.

Went across the continental divide at 11000 ft. Nice and cool 75.

Started at 630 but construction slowed us down.

22c159b437c18601de75b413766d1d7a.jpg


Thanks Stichell for the image help.
 
Awesome Offroad! Wow 108 is hot. Unfortunately you are riding when that whole area of the country is under a heat wave and a drought.

Have fun, ride safe!
 
I have friends in Junction. Nice little town (not so little, really). I know a good pizza place and great Mexican restaurant there. Also, if you're going through Moab, I have a couple of good eating spots there, too. I'm thinking of doing an Iron Butt BB Silver from Chicago to Grand Junction sometime....but probably not when it's 108 outside. Safe travels!
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I have friends in Junction. Nice little town (not so little, really). I know a good pizza place and great Mexican restaurant there. Also, if you're going through Moab, I have a couple of good eating spots there, too. I'm thinking of doing an Iron Butt BB Silver from Chicago to Grand Junction sometime....but probably not when it's 108 outside. Safe travels!
Give the "beaded" (??) or "mesh" saddle cover a maximal workout.
 
Thread starter
Got to check off 2 states today...IA & NV....tomorrow CA.

A couple of stretches today with no service for 100 miles.

Beautiful country.... sad all the water is drying up!

42e116e84530a95f2fa78fca11f8f5e8.jpg
 
Be glad you’re not taking US 6 from Ely to Tonopah. It’s a beautiful stretch of road if you like desolation but there’s no gas for 170 miles, and it’s difficult to keep your speed below 100-120 mph, so fuel can be an issue. No such difficulty with gas stops on US 50, and you’ll still have an opportunity to really stretch the legs of your K1600, almost with impunity. Just keep an eye on your back tire.
 
Cool that you got to ride Hwy 50" Lonliest Road" offroad.
 
Back
Top