BT45 Tyre Behaviour

Haggard Rider_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi guys, went out in 'proper' rain today, had a hosp appt so decided to get some wet-weather experience.

Apart from needing pinlocks on my specs, the most obvious experience was one of the rear tyre seeming to 'fall off' irregularities in the road, a bit like tram-lining if you like.

Together with the tyre's distinct dislike of drain covers and white lines, I am hardly filled with confidence in them. My previous wet weather riding was on a Z650 which had no such behaviour.

My tyres are BT45s, probably 3mm or so of tread left.

So...
a) is this a feature of skinnier (squarer) tyres
b) is this a feature of BT45s
c) will this be less apparent with a different (wider?) tyre?
d) is it just what these bikes do?

Thanks
 
How old are the tyres and how many miles have they done do you think?

My guess is that your tyres need replacing.

I don't know if they come in CB1100 sizes but I can recommend Michelin Pilot road 3 or 4.
 
Thread starter
They're not new but they looked in decent nick. The bike was bought from a dealer so they should be good. The bike has done just shy of 10k miles and I have no idea if these are or were as originally fitted. It only did 1k of those 10k miles in the last 2 years which makes me think these are as originally fitted so perhaps they are a few season too old? I don't know.

Suggests maybe that they're getting a bit 'tired'!
 
A decent nick? That's a new one for me.

You have checked pressures correct? 36 front 42 rear psi.

Although I have never been a big fan of Bridgestones, chances are yours are just getting old and hard. There is a code on the tires that tells their age. Tires harden as they age. Loose flexibility and traction. Feels worse under damp and cold conditions.
 
Tires for this bike are a bit of a problem due to the 18" sizes and narrow profiles. Additionally manufactures are shipping some tire sizes to some countries, and not to other countries. I'm not sure what is available in the UK. A lot of us here in the US have resorted to using oversize Michelin Pilot Road 3's, 120 front and 160 rear, however if you can get the stock sizes in the UK that would be preferred.
 
Thread starter
Thanks ferret, so 120 and 160 aren't too wide for the rims, in which case, just need to get the rolling circumference the same.
 
No issues using the 120/160 combo..although I must say if they were available in the stock sizes I would use them.
 
I've had good success with Bridgestones on several of my bikes and would recommend you consider the T31 EVO radial, which is available in OEM sizes in the U.K. (but not in the U.S.). Recognize your bike was originally fitted with radial tyres, but your BT45's are bias-ply. That said, I seriously doubt you'd be able to feel the difference.
 
Haggard Rider_imp said:
They're not new but they looked in decent nick. The bike was bought from a dealer so they should be good. The bike has done just shy of 10k miles and I have no idea if these are or were as originally fitted. It only did 1k of those 10k miles in the last 2 years which makes me think these are as originally fitted so perhaps they are a few season too old? I don't know.

Suggests maybe that they're getting a bit 'tired'!
Check the numbers again. If they are original tires, they would be BT-54 radials, rather than BT-45 bias ply.

My guess is that they are probably not the original tires, as the BT-54 front tire is notorious for wearing out long before the 10K mile mark.

I use the BT-45 bias tires on my CB750 and have experienced very good performance in wet and dry conditions, although they do tend to track imperfections in the pavement due to the narrow profile.

On my CB11 I have gone with the popular Michelin Pilot Road 3 radials in 120/80 front and 160/60 rear. I've noticed no perceptible performance difference with the wider tires. A big plus is that I get better than 10K miles out of a set.
 
beardyweirdy—a UK member—speaks well of the Dunlop Road Smart tyres which have the advantage of coming in the correct sizes for the bike.
 
Thread starter
Been able to get out to check the pressures today - 32 front, 36 rear, so I'll pop along to my nearest air vendor to partake of their delivery machine (pump up my tyre a bit).
 
It will be interesting to hear whether that makes any difference.

Are they BT54s or BT 45s?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
It will be interesting to hear whether that makes any difference.

Are they BT54s or BT 45s?
I just had Bridgestone BT 54, 140/70R-18 and 110/80R-18, total cost $334 installed on wheels. Limited riding so far, (weather cold in mountains, Lake Arrowhead, Cal.) but they feel good.
 
jimgl3_imp said:
just my 2 cents... manhole covers and white lines are slick no matter...
I agree. I'm very cautious no matter what tire I'm on. If it's wet, they are/can be a killer regardless of what make of tire is on the bike.
 
emullick_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It will be interesting to hear whether that makes any difference.

Are they BT54s or BT 45s?
I just had Bridgestone BT 54, 140/70R-18 and 110/80R-18, total cost $334 installed on wheels. Limited riding so far, (weather cold in mountains, Lake Arrowhead, Cal.) but they feel good.
That's interesting. They're one of the two OEM tyres. I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone putting them on again.

I had some Battlax T31s fitted today. Both are the correct size for the rims.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
emullick_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It will be interesting to hear whether that makes any difference.

Are they BT54s or BT 45s?
I just had Bridgestone BT 54, 140/70R-18 and 110/80R-18, total cost $334 installed on wheels. Limited riding so far, (weather cold in mountains, Lake Arrowhead, Cal.) but they feel good.
That's interesting. They're one of the two OEM tyres. I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone putting them on again.

I had some Battlax T31s fitted today. Both are the correct size for the rims.
I guess, you'll like 'em. :thumbsup:

Just got a new set of T31 at my bike (CBF1000F).
 
Back
Top