BT45 Tyre Behaviour

I ride quite a bit in the rain . I will echo what has been said above .. manhole covers and painted road will always be an issue to some degree no matter what the tire .

As far as grooved / rough road tracking .. it certainly gets more pronounced as mileage adds up on the tires. If I read your post right we are assuming these tires have 10k on them ? If that is the case ... Better get ready for a new tire purchase soon


I am currently running Metzler z8 road Tek tires and have 8000 on them . Wearing very well and they are excellent in the rain . I know other members have had negative experience with them and hopefully they can chime in with alternate viewpoints .. that is best way to get all the info out there and be able to make an informed choice.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
 
Django_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
emullick_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It will be interesting to hear whether that makes any difference.

Are they BT54s or BT 45s?
I just had Bridgestone BT 54, 140/70R-18 and 110/80R-18, total cost $334 installed on wheels. Limited riding so far, (weather cold in mountains, Lake Arrowhead, Cal.) but they feel good.
That's interesting. They're one of the two OEM tyres. I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone putting them on again.

I had some Battlax T31s fitted today. Both are the correct size for the rims.
I guess, you'll like 'em. :thumbsup:

Just got a new set of T31 at my bike (CBF1000F).
I guess, you'll like 'em. :thumbsup:

Just got a new set of T31 at my bike (CBF1000F). I had a T31 on the front and liked it, got 3,300 miles out of it which is par for my semi aggressive riding living in the mountains, but I could not get a T31 for the rear of the correct size, hence a pair of BT 54. Would have gone for RoadSmart, been using Dunlops for years on sport bikes, but RoadSmart is not available in the correct size near me. I am far more interested in traction and feel near the limit than mileage, and I am a stickler for the using the correct tire for the rim width.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
emullick_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It will be interesting to hear whether that makes any difference.

Are they BT54s or BT 45s?
I just had Bridgestone BT 54, 140/70R-18 and 110/80R-18, total cost $334 installed on wheels. Limited riding so far, (weather cold in mountains, Lake Arrowhead, Cal.) but they feel good.
That's interesting. They're one of the two OEM tyres. I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone putting them on again.

I had some Battlax T31s fitted today. Both are the correct size for the rims.
I'm one. I'm on my third set. They work fine for me. I'd like to try the T31's but the OE sizes are unavailable in the U.S.
 
My factory front tire was toast after only a couple of thousand miles so I replaced it with a T30 EVO and it works great.
I don't push the limits, but like a "spirited" ride :D It works fine for me and my style of riding.
 
Good for you, LongRanger. I tried to get them on my first change of tyre, but they weren’t available in Australia. I went with BT45s and they were fine.

I had a day on the T31s yesterday and they seemed fine. There was one moment when I wondered; on reflection it was rider exuberance not a tyre problem.
 
Thread starter
Managed, at the 4th attempt, to find a forecourt with air available!! Putting the right pressure in does seem to have made the tram-lining disappear. Had some tram-lining outbound, nothing inbound and that included some enthusiastic riding so hopefully, a lesson learnt and something to watch for.
 
Excellent. Glad a little air was the answer you needed. I own a small home-duty air compressor (about $100) to maintain the tires on my vehicles and find it to be indispensable.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Excellent. Glad a little air was the answer you needed. I own a small home-duty air compressor (about $100) to maintain the tires on my vehicles and find it to be indispensable.

Me too Harbor Freight. Less than $100 if I remember correctly and you can get 20% off with a coupon. Indispensable in the garage.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Excellent. Glad a little air was the answer you needed. I own a small home-duty air compressor (about $100) to maintain the tires on my vehicles and find it to be indispensable.
I have one too and it's invaluable. I'm quite fanatical about correct tire pressure on all my vehicles so it gets plenty of use.
It sure beats running to a gas station where free air isn't free anymore.
 
..and I have one too , mostly to dry out bike after washing and maintain correct tire pressure, handy though ..
 
A good air compressor in probably one of the most useful tools for a motor cyclist , not just for checking tire pressure but lots of other uses as well.
 
Craftsman tools have a lifetime warranty but I'm not sure where one would go for repair/ replacement considering the dire straits Sears is in right now.
 
I like that Ryobi unit and have toyed with getting one.
I saw an online review where the complaint was that the battery soon wore down after only short use. Others were quite positive.
What's your experience with the battery?
 
Rocky_imp said:
I like that Ryobi unit and have toyed with getting one.
I saw an online review where the complaint was that the battery soon wore down after only short use. Others were quite positive.
What's your experience with the battery?
I have had the unit for a few years now and had no problems. I read the reviews before buying it and Home Depot is pretty good about standing behind their products - at least here in Canada. Nevertheless, there have been no worries.

I have used the silver and black Ryobi batteries in the unit and none have unexpectedly gone flat. The black batteries suck, but they have worked. I do recommend the silver lithium.

It is so convenient - use it on the CB, the bicycles, and the cars. It is fast and accurate to within one pound pressure. I just adjust and put an extra pound in my program setting. The wife even uses it on her car. No complaints. A great purchase.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
I like that Ryobi unit and have toyed with getting one.
I saw an online review where the complaint was that the battery soon wore down after only short use. Others were quite positive.
What's your experience with the battery?
I have had the unit for a few years now and had no problems. I read the reviews before buying it and Home Depot is pretty good about standing behind their products - at least here in Canada. Nevertheless, there have been no worries.

I have used the silver and black Ryobi batteries in the unit and none have unexpectedly gone flat. The black batteries suck, but they have worked. I do recommend the silver lithium.

It is so convenient - use it on the CB, the bicycles, and the cars. It is fast and accurate to within one pound pressure. I just adjust and put an extra pound in my program setting. The wife even uses it on her car. No complaints. A great purchase.
I have had the unit for a few years now and had no problems. I read the reviews before buying it and Home Depot is pretty good about standing behind their products - at least here in Canada. Nevertheless, there have been no worries.

I have used the silver and black Ryobi batteries in the unit and none have unexpectedly gone flat. The black batteries suck, but they have worked. I do recommend the silver lithium.

It is so convenient - use it on the CB, the bicycles, and the cars. It is fast and accurate to within one pound pressure. I just adjust and put an extra pound in my program setting. The wife even uses it on her car. No complaints. A great purchase.
Thanks for that GO. Much appreciated :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Just got myself an Air Hawk Cordless Digital Tyre Inflator, cost £50. Battery life is given as 15 mins and it pumped my front tyre from 32 to 36 in less than a minute, so quite happy with that. It did a 225/17 car tyre from 22 to 36 in about 5 mins

Ok, from an roi perspective that £50 is around 100 forecourt visits, but the simple convenience of having a handy air pump outweighs that I reckon. Plus it goes into my backpack with no issues, bonus!
 
Back
Top