bt31 rear tyre

max

Road warrior
Thread starter
Has anyone got experience with a battlax bt31 tyre on any of their bikes?
it's a touring/sport , fits on the rear of the 18" cb1100 and it seems a good replacement.
 
I had a set of Bridgestone T31 on my CBF1000F. Good experience performance wise and good endurance. Will be my next tire again.
 
I redid front and rears last summer:

Bridgestone Battlax T31 Front Tire 120/70R18
Bridgestone Battlax T31 Rear Tire 160/60R18

I went oversize on both. The rear is a 60 not a 70 which I think clocks me going a kilometre faster perhaps but I can't tell.

The tires are great. Turn fast and hug the road. I like hitting the twisties pretty hard and feel totally confident in them.

I am not a fan of getting wet, so I have yet to experience them on anything but a damp road.

I think they are an excellent value, but we will see how well they wear. I have about 5000km on them so far and they seem to be holding up.
 
A few weeks ago I put a Metzeler road tech 8 on my 2014 , I do not know yet if I like it enough to keep it on .
On my 2013 I have the Continental Trail Attack 2 in 150/70 and I love that tire.
There is a new Trail Attack 3 coming out in march (USA ) and I might put that on the 2014 if I do not care enough for the Metzeler.
The 150/70 looks also "beefier" and the profile is more oval than the rounder Roadtech 8
 
I'm using z8 interact in the rear. I like it alot, i think it's better in everyway vs. the OE Dunlop D205, which is a phenominal tire to begin with!

SO, anyone know what key differences are w/ the bt31 compared to the Metzeller z8 interact?
 
I'm using the predecessor, the T30, on my F800GT (and I also used T30 GT's on my former K1200RS). No issues. Tread life appears to be about 6000 miles.
 
Thread starter
Thanks every one for sharing your experience with me, not many tires are available for a reasonable price in nz for that size ,
i will let you know what happens when the tire is mounted on the bike.
 
Thanks, max. I'm interested too. GrahamT told me he couldn't source the PR3 rear that will fit so I've been wondering what to do next. I like it that you can get the BT31s with a standard-sized rear.
 
Thread starter
Hi Cormanus, i had no idea these tires were available and could not find any on the dealer website but a shop in Hamilton found 4 bt31's in nz in the size 140/70/18 and so i thought that was a good find because i did spend quite some time trying to get an equivalent for the standard bt54, no-one could find a good match but these look hopeful and i will be keeping the members posted on results, thanks for all your good work by the way!
 
I had some BT45s, but they weren't radials. I thought they were fine, but they came to an early end when the rear tyre got a nasty gash in it. Didn't get to go flat, but would have split at some point. I changes to the PR3s and like them a lot, but the rear is oversize and I'd be just as happy to find a radial that fits. That said, I'll stick with the PR3s if they're around next time as 20,000 plus kilometres is pretty good going I reckon.
 
Thread starter
C, did you have bt45 front and rear or just on the rear wheel, i thought about bt45 but being crossply was not recommended to mix with radial on the front.

Some seem to think that is exadurated and it would work under normal circumstances, what was your combination?
 
Max, I've always run the same tyres front and rear. I used to change them both at the same time but, provided they're the same brand, I now just change each tyre as it wears out. If I can't get a replacement PR3 rear next time, I suspect I'll move to a new brand and leave the current PR3s on the front until it wears out. Someone would now have to persuade me my life was in serious danger if I didn't change them both.

For what it's worth, I got 15.5K kms from the OEM Dunlops. I couldn't then get OEM-sized radials so I replaced them with BT45s which ran for 11K before I replaced them with another set of BT45s. They lasted just under 10K before the rear got damaged and I put on a set of PR3s. I got 16K from the rear and 25K from the front; then 21K from the next PR3 rear and 24.5K from the front. My current PR3s are at 17.5K for the rear and 11K for the front. I'll have to have a look at the rear next time I'm in the garage as, if I go for a decent ride, it's likely to be more than 3K so I'll face the awful choice of whether to replace it before I go or hoping it makes it through.
 
Thread starter
Cheers mate, that's good info and as promised i will let you know what happens next, all the best!
 
Thread starter
Jim et all thanks for all the info, just picked up the tyre and took some pictures.
All measurements are identical to the bt54, the thread depth is 7 mm at the center, circumference is slightly bigger as you would expect and is explained by the wear of the tyre so the speedo will be indicating the same speed and it looks a match with the pr3's,
So although the tyre is not yet on the bike it looks like the closest match i have seen, the rubber even feels the same firmness and it is dual compound rubber like our 54's.









Price $ 200 NZ.:excited:
 
Back
Top