Brown leather jackets... where for art thou?

JPX_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Who knew it would be so hard to find a decent brown leather jacket? There are scores of black ones available on the market, but I'm trying to avoid the completely blacked out look since I also have a black CB1100.

I've searched virtually every website out there (Vanson, Fox Creek, River Road, Revzilla, Dennis Kirk, etc) and the only ones that have peaked my interest are the Roland Sands Barfly, Ronin, and Enzo (seen below in that order from left to right). They're pretty pricey at $500+ and I've read some reviews stating that the stitching is starting to unravel on some after a little less than a year, they're single stitched in some critical impact zones, and a seam busted open on someone's get-off.



So I did some more searching tonight and came across a company called Xelement on Leatherup. The prices for their leather jackets are really low ($150-$200) so I figure they are not very good quality but surprisingly the Amazon reviews on them are actually quite good. One review mentioned a crash at 70MPH and the jacket holding up without any issues. In particular, I was looking at one for $150 in a dark brown that has a cafe racer kinda vibe going on. Worst case scenario is I send it back if it's not up to snuff.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BTQPYY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=02X6K359NTKGMVCQS7TW&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop]Xelement Speedster

[url=http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/jasonxerri/media/Xelement%20Speedster_zpswpszgzvh.jpg.html]

You're probably thinking that this is the end of my search. Well, you would be wrong. :D

As I'm about to checkout on Amazon, a tiny thumbnail of a jacket in the "similar items to what you're looking for" results list catches my eye. So I click the link and what do you know? A reasonably priced brown cafe jacket with decent specs, good reviews, a vintage look to it, and only 1 Large size left in stock to boot. I'll post a review of it when it gets here in a few days. I can't wait. :thumbsup:

[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7D3HIU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Leather Supreme Buffalo Cafe Racer Jacket

* Made from Top Grain Soft Heavy Duty 1.3MM buffalo hide Leather
* Retro brown color with matching detail across chest and back
* Features a z/o liner plus inner mesh liner throughout
* Includes 2 deep zippered pockets on the front chest area
* Two zippered vertical air-vents on the back
* One zippered air-vent on each sleeve
* Two zippered side pockets outside & two inside zippered pockets
* Zippered sides for snug fit
* Zippered Cuffs with snap buttons
* Classic double shoulder design for more movement
* Leather pull tabs on all zippers
* YKK zippers

[url=http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/jasonxerri/media/Leather%20Supreme%20Cafe%20Racer_zpswao6yyh9.jpg.html]
 
I have owned several products from Leather Up, including a couple of jackets. Worst problem is sizing with them but they are good on returns. My jackets for the most part have held up well. I think I had to repair a snap on one and maybe a loose thread on another, but they are like most things these days "imported".

On the other hand I had to send my first Fox Valley jacket back for an issue which they sent me a new jacket for right away. The Fox Valley is a much nicer leather material but it cost 4x as much as the Leather Up jacket

Motorcyclegear.com is another company I have on speed dial. A quick search for brown lather jackets turned up this

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/search?query=mens+brown+leather+jacket

I think MG has a Roland Sands and did a report on it for this forum here.

New Jacket
 
JPX, I went through this exact same thought process and debate for quite some time. I was lucky enough to even try on a Roland sands jackets, but the cut just didn't feel right for $500 +. I got frustrated to the point, that I ended up buying a black jacket. Maybe one day I'll find that perfect brown leather jacket.

Please post some good pictures and reviews when you receive yours. I hope it's exactly what you are looking for. It looks Good !
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the links Ferret. That IMS 1909 jacket looks pretty cool. I had seen the other one but didn't care for the vertical striping; however, the IMS version is fairly toned down. Both are black unfortunately though.

Hiker, yeah I looked at Dainese as well. They have a few jackets with vintage styling that I liked, but they are running in the $600-700 range.

http://www.dainese.com/us_en/g-mike-pelle-74432.html
http://www.dainese.com/us_en/g-stripes-evo-pelle-estivo-18841.html
http://www.dainese.com/us_en/g-stripes-evo-pelle-18840.html

I hope so too JF. I'm almost positive that the one that I have coming is a keeper, but it's hard to tell the quality of something based solely on pictures.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have owned several products from Leather Up, including a couple of jackets. Worst problem is sizing with them but they are good on returns. My jackets for the most part have held up well. I think I had to repair a snap on one and maybe a loose thread on another, but they are like most things these days "imported".

On the other hand I had to send my first Fox Valley jacket back for an issue which they sent me a new jacket for right away. The Fox Valley is a much nicer leather material but it cost 4x as much as the Leather Up jacket

Motorcyclegear.com is another company I have on speed dial. A quick search for brown lather jackets turned up this

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/search?query=mens+brown+leather+jacket

I think MG has a Roland Sands and did a report on it for this forum here.

New Jacket
I do have the Roland Sands Ronin jacket in tobacco brown and it is my go to jacket. I'm very happy with it. But, you're right, it was pricey. I bought mine new on eBay for $580 while others had it for sale at $620. So far, knock on wood, no signs of seam wear or any other wear. Another jacket I was looking at was the Speed and Strength Jesse Rooke design: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-and-strength-jesse-rooke-leather-jacket

In the end, the Ronin appealed to me more. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.
 
I'm in the same boat. I was going to order the Joe Rocket classic '92 in brown, but held off b/c i was headed up to the Vanson open-house a couple weeks ago. I struck out at Vanson, and now the JR jacket is sold out everywhere. I was thinking about either Hillside Leather or Fox Creek, but the styles just don't quite do it for me. I think I've narrowed it down to either the British Motorcycle Gear Montana, or the Scorpion 1909. Neither are a true brown, but a bit different then the rest of the black jackets out there. I'm headed to Lake George in a few weeks, so I'm torn as to weather i should order something now, or wait to see what's up there.
 
I bit the bullet today and ordered from Fox Creek. The Scorpion 1099 and BMG Montana were on the short list, but I found a Grayson in brown on Fox Creek's clearance page. It doesn't come with armor, but does have the armor pockets. It should be here in a few days; I'll give a full report later this week.
 
I was in a moto shop getting my inspection sticker a few weeks ago and I spied a Joe Rocket brown jacket. Went back a week later and it was gone.
 
There's a whole boutique fashion industry that has sprung up to provide pre-manufactured bad-arsery for the hipster café racer crowd. They are all about 'oil, sweat, gasoline, and leather' nostalgia in their gear. Don't they make brown jackets or is everything black in that crowd too?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Love my Fox Creek leather
I have heard good things about them.

I am going to Portland in a month and might check out Langlitz Leather.
(I suspect this is going to HURT$$$$)

I sure miss my old Schott 141!!!!
 
I have the RSD Enzo in brown, bought it last month from Revzilla. It's a beautiful jacket, and out of all the other RSD jackets, it had the best compromise of fit & form for my taste (the Britsol fits me better but the tacky velcro waist straps were deal-breakers, plus it only looked good in black).

I have seen scattered mentionings in moto forums that the stitching in RSD jackets leave much to be desired, so I'll have to keep an eye on that; matter of fact, the RSD Clash jacket I briefly had did have an unraveled stitching, but it was at a negligible spot away from potential impact areas. And heaven forbid I actually go down, but if it happens while wearing the Enzo, I'll let the forum know how it held up.
 
I've been rocking a brown Dainese Retro jacket on the CB. Their entire "vintage leather" collection was/is an antiqued chocolate brown colour and the make a few other models in brown. I like their vintage jackets because contain more armour than most others. The RSD jackets are nice though, I probably would have gone with a Ronin, if pricing in Canada wasn't so crazy.
 
veech_imp said:
hb9400_imp said:
I bought a Joe Rocket Classic 92 last year in brown and love it. Just need the weather to cool off a bit.
Google Search
Oh, that is nice! I may have to get me one of those. BTW, how is the sizing on these? Do they run large or small?
Oh, that is nice! I may have to get me one of those. BTW, how is the sizing on these? Do they run large or small?
I'm 5'8" 200 and the large fits me fine. Atlanta's been too hot this last month to wear it but soon it will go back to my daily gear.
 
hb9400_imp said:
veech_imp said:
hb9400_imp said:
I bought a Joe Rocket Classic 92 last year in brown and love it. Just need the weather to cool off a bit.
Google Search
Oh, that is nice! I may have to get me one of those. BTW, how is the sizing on these? Do they run large or small?
Oh, that is nice! I may have to get me one of those. BTW, how is the sizing on these? Do they run large or small?
I'm 5'8" 200 and the large fits me fine. Atlanta's been too hot this last month to wear it but soon it will go back to my daily gear.
Oh, that is nice! I may have to get me one of those. BTW, how is the sizing on these? Do they run large or small?
I'm 5'8" 200 and the large fits me fine. Atlanta's been too hot this last month to wear it but soon it will go back to my daily gear.
Thank you Sir! :thumbsup:
 
I've the the Joe Rocket 92 also and I also love it! I'm a 42L and I have an XL - I fit in the L but the XL gives room for some extra airflow / warm clothes in winter.
 
Back
Top