Break pads.....just in time....so eaaaaaasy!!!!!!

jdvalero_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I give it half a mustach on the 1-5 difficulty Beard scale.
You only need a 12mm and a 8mm socket or wrench.



 
Wow that's getting your moneys worth out of your old pads. How many miles?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Wow that's getting your moneys worth out of your old pads. How many miles?
7895 Mls
I guess I do a lot of rear braking.
Rotor is in perfect shape....very little wear.
Now I know my limits (or at least I have a reference) on how long my rear breaks will last.
 
Sintered metal pads will give the brakes a whole lot more 'bite' ... something to keep in mind when you're trail braking deep into corner on a wet day ;)
 
jdvalero_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Wow that's getting your moneys worth out of your old pads. How many miles?
7895 Mls
I guess I do a lot of rear braking.
Rotor is in perfect shape....very little wear.
Now I know my limits (or at least I have a reference) on how long my rear breaks will last.
7895 Mls
I guess I do a lot of rear braking.
My reference is 35.000km for the rear pads. I mainly use the rear brake, the front brake pads are still original at 45.000km. Different geographics and riders...

Wisedrum
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
jdvalero_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Wow that's getting your moneys worth out of your old pads. How many miles?
7895 Mls
I guess I do a lot of rear braking.
Rotor is in perfect shape....very little wear.
Now I know my limits (or at least I have a reference) on how long my rear breaks will last.
7895 Mls
I guess I do a lot of rear braking.
My reference is 35.000km for the rear pads. I mainly use the rear brake, the front brake pads are still original at 45.000km. Different geographics and riders...

Wisedrum
Riding style makes all the difference. I usually let the engine slow me down whenever possible. I'm still on the original pads at 24K miles and they have a long way to go.

My CB750 went 39K miles before the front pads were worn. My old Nissan truck went 98K before I had to replace the front pads. It's just the way I drive.
 
Thread starter
I just cannot fathom that many miles on a single set of rear pads....The fronts have about 3/4 left from new. Hels bells what did I do wrong?
 
did the pads drag ? or do you use the rear more than you have to ?
I use the front brakes a lot more than the rear , rear most for stabilizing the bike and in town.
 
jdvalero, not to sound condescending or anything like that, but could it be your foot is resting on the brake pedal causing your rear brake to wear out substantially sooner than what others experience? I ask because several members have commented on the tight spacing down there and the way the foot peg is set, it's easy for the left edge of the front of the boot to depress the pedal without the rider realizing it. When I first got my CB, I had just read of that on the forums here and more than once when I looked down I noticed that my boot was indeed half on the brake pedal and I didn't even know it.
 
I'm on my third set of pads, 1st set lasted 19,102. Second set lasted 17,807 but they would have gone more, I needed new tires so just replaced the pads while I was in there. I use both brakes equally so replace them in pairs like the tires.
 
If you spend most of your time riding where there are stop signs and stop lights you will use up your brake pads a lot quicker than if you ride out in the country with few stops, or ride across the country on the expressway where you only use your brakes a couple times a day. I have ridden hundreds of miles without ever touching the brakes, and have ridden where you are stopping every few hundred yards it seems. One is harder on the brakes than the other.
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
jdvalero, not to sound condescending or anything like that, but could it be your foot is resting on the brake pedal causing your rear brake to wear out substantially sooner than what others experience? I ask because several members have commented on the tight spacing down there and the way the foot peg is set, it's easy for the left edge of the front of the boot to depress the pedal without the rider realizing it. When I first got my CB, I had just read of that on the forums here and more than once when I looked down I noticed that my boot was indeed half on the brake pedal and I didn't even know it.
Not condescending at all...good question. Answer is no. I have the (bad or good) habit of getting my right toes on the peg the soonest I start to move.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The ferret_imp said:
If you spend most of your time riding where there are stop signs and stop lights you will use up your brake pads a lot quicker than if you ride out in the country with few stops, or ride across the country on the expressway where you only use your brakes a couple times a day. I have ridden hundreds of miles without ever touching the brakes, and have ridden where you are stopping every few hundred yards it seems. One is harder on the brakes than the other.
That must be it. I'm mostly in downtown traffic...but I still feel cheated out on 10k breaking distance. Dang it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
The ferret_imp said:
If you spend most of your time riding where there are stop signs and stop lights you will use up your brake pads a lot quicker than if you ride out in the country with few stops, or ride across the country on the expressway where you only use your brakes a couple times a day. I have ridden hundreds of miles without ever touching the brakes, and have ridden where you are stopping every few hundred yards it seems. One is harder on the brakes than the other.
Living in a rural setting is the difference on brake wear. My commute to work before retirement was 30 miles one way and included 4 stop signs and zero traffic lights. Going on 16,000 miles on my CB and the pads still look good. My Nissan PU went 97,000 miles on the front pads when I changed them and the OE's still had some life left. The rears have 115,000 and are original. When I lived in the city I felt lucky to get 20,000 on a set.
 
Sorry if im hijacking your thread. I had a look at my front calipers on my RS and i realise there are no retaining pins holding the pads in place. Does anyone have experience in calipers that are designed this way? Looks like the pads are held in place by a clip instead.
 
I just replaced my rear break pads for the first time. I’ve never really inspected that area before and upon hooking everything back up the whole mounting break component that houses the pads and caliper seems to move ever so slightly when I apply the break. Is it normal for this to move? I figured it was since there are rubber buffers between the two mounting bolts. Any info would be awesome.
 
My sold 2013 ABS, passed 53000 km and still good for 5-8 K, if I continued riding it.
Conditions: mostly long distance/hwy ridden, gear down to much speed, final meter (3.3 feet), I use rear mostly for smooth stop.
jdvalero_imp said:
I give it half a mustach on the 1-5 difficulty Beard scale.
You only need a 12mm and a 8mm socket or wrench.
Jdvalero,
...half of moustache of length or thickness on the 1-5 difficulty Beard scale ???. :)
 
Back
Top