Break in period

PilotPaul_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm not sure if this should have been put in the mechanical section so I'm sorry if should have. Anyway I am about to roll over 400 miles on my bike and I just wanted to get some input about the break in period.

So far I have been very gentle with her. I've been on the freeway a few times only been to 80mph a few times and haven't gone over 4k on the tach very much at all. Today however the itch was just too much and I opened her up a bit but not bad. I didn't really get over 5k by much. I couldn't help it.....okay I did it one other time a few days ago. My question is...is that okay?
 
The Manual for the 2011 Australian model says:

Quote:Help assure your motorcycle's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you ride during the first 500 km (300 miles).

During this period avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.
Anything else is fine apparently.
 
Squishhhhhhh.....goes the oil................this is not an oil thread.
Ride it like you like Paul......and keep up with the service.
Happy Days
 
Enzo! Maaaaaate! Every thread's an oil thread. :P
 
I think one of the more important parts of a good break in is to vary the RPM's a lot, don't ride down the freeway at 3K for any length of time.
Avoid full throttle and revs above 5k and all should be good.
Oh and don't use synthetic oil for the first 2.5K miles
 
StackMan_imp said:
I think one of the more important parts of a good break in is to vary the RPM's a lot, don't ride down the freeway at 3K for any length of time.
Avoid full throttle and revs above 5k and all should be good.
Oh and don't use synthetic oil for the first 2.5K miles
Ditto, and also ride around town so you'll have to use the transmission and brakes a lot. Also avoid allowing the engine from getting to hot.
 
PilotPaul_imp said:
I'm not sure if this should have been put in the mechanical section so I'm sorry if should have. Anyway I am about to roll over 400 miles on my bike and I just wanted to get some input about the break in period.

So far I have been very gentle with her. I've been on the freeway a few times only been to 80mph a few times and haven't gone over 4k on the tach very much at all. Today however the itch was just too much and I opened her up a bit but not bad. I didn't really get over 5k by much. I couldn't help it.....okay I did it one other time a few days ago. My question is...is that okay?
my '13 bike is now at 7K miles mark, it is noticeable smoother than at 3K, if my perception is correct. I believe breakin is crucial for longevity of the bike. 5K RPM occasional is okay but try to vary the RPM but don't exceed 5K until your bike has at least 3K miles.

I read somewhere someone break in their bike on the stand and at top RPM and show metal flakes from oil change. he said this is how he break-in his bike because race bike they break in the same way. Race bike, they change engine after each race I think. Some mechanic open full throttle of new bikes, how rude.

when I wake up I want to wake up by soft music, someone scream at my ear, I wake up in panic
 
cbdtran_imp said:
PilotPaul_imp said:
I'm not sure if this should have been put in the mechanical section so I'm sorry if should have. Anyway I am about to roll over 400 miles on my bike and I just wanted to get some input about the break in period.

So far I have been very gentle with her. I've been on the freeway a few times only been to 80mph a few times and haven't gone over 4k on the tach very much at all. Today however the itch was just too much and I opened her up a bit but not bad. I didn't really get over 5k by much. I couldn't help it.....okay I did it one other time a few days ago. My question is...is that okay?
my '13 bike is now at 7K miles mark, it is noticeable smoother than at 3K, if my perception is correct. I believe breakin is crucial for longevity of the bike. 5K RPM occasional is okay but try to vary the RPM but don't exceed 5K until your bike has at least 3K miles.

I read somewhere someone break in their bike on the stand and at top RPM and show metal flakes from oil change. he said this is how he break-in his bike because race bike they break in the same way. Race bike, they change engine after each race I think. Some mechanic open full throttle of new bikes, how rude.

when I wake up I want to wake up by soft music, someone scream at my ear, I wake up in panic
my '13 bike is now at 7K miles mark, it is noticeable smoother than at 3K, if my perception is correct. I believe breakin is crucial for longevity of the bike. 5K RPM occasional is okay but try to vary the RPM but don't exceed 5K until your bike has at least 3K miles.

I read somewhere someone break in their bike on the stand and at top RPM and show metal flakes from oil change. he said this is how he break-in his bike because race bike they break in the same way. Race bike, they change engine after each race I think. Some mechanic open full throttle of new bikes, how rude.

when I wake up I want to wake up by soft music, someone scream at my ear, I wake up in panic

In response to the lucid portion of your post, before the flashback kicked in :D ...

Not exceeding 5000 rpm for the first 3000 miles? That's a new one on me.

I expect Red Mist along anytime soon to stand you corrected sir.
 
I don't think the occasional burst to 5k rpm, or even higher, will harm anything during break-in. The key is to avoid any sustained high rpm use.

Break-in threads are the angry step-children of oil threads. :P
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
I don't think the occasional burst to 5k rpm, or even higher, will harm anything during break-in. The key is to avoid any sustained high rpm use.

Break-in threads are the angry step-children of oil threads. :P
I've been well over 5000rpm in my limited mileage (sub 600) but never for. Ore than the purpose of rapid overtakes ( sometimes of traffic that doesn't exist) ;)
 
Thread starter
I was just curious. I am by no means trying to start an oil thread. As a commercial plot and aircraft mechanic I have learned a thing or two about the break in for overhauled and new aircraft engines but don't really know much about motorcycles. Aircraft engines are a bit different....in a lot of cases more simple and the whole oil subject is more simple as well. Thanks for easing my small worries.
 
The problem with the Internet is that you'll get lots of advice, how worthwhile any of it is, you'll have to decide.

I have a younger girlfriend who insists on 'Googling' everything.

I, as an old bastard rely on my wisdom and gut feeling for 96% of what I think.
 
My wife picked up a pork loin to roast for family tomorrow. Never made a 7 pound pork roast before so I googled how to cook it. You'd have thought I had asked which is the best oil. I swear people cannot agree on ANYTHING!
 
PilotPaul_imp said:
I was just curious. I am by no means trying to start an oil thread. As a commercial plot and aircraft mechanic I have learned a thing or two about the break in for overhauled and new aircraft engines but don't really know much about motorcycles. Aircraft engines are a bit different....in a lot of cases more simple and the whole oil subject is more simple as well. Thanks for easing my small worries.
Funny you should mention that. I posted about the differences in air-cooled aircraft engine break-in on anther thread. I just got done breaking in a new jug on my O-360. Wouldn't want to break-in the CB1100 that way.

I think the big differences are that our new bike engines are built to much closer tolerances, with engine and metalurgical technology from this century:D
 
The ferret_imp said:
My wife picked up a pork loin to roast for family tomorrow. Never made a 7 pound pork roast before so I googled how to cook it. You'd have thought I had asked which is the best oil. I swear people cannot agree on ANYTHING!
 
Back
Top