Brake light trigger switches adjustable?

SailorRider_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I feel as though it takes too much of a squeeze on the front brake lever to activate the brake light. Same thing with the rear brake pedal. I want the brake light to illuminate on a hair trigger. Are these switch points adjustable?
 
Well the rear is for sure, back off lock nut and adjust switch up or down as wanted, retighten lock nut. Not sure about the front.

Ok just went out and looked. There is a small phillips head screw holding the switch on, maybe loosen that and rotate switch?

GOT TO BE CAREFUL YOU DON't get them so that they are on all the time when riding. Have someone follow you the first time to be sure.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Well the rear is for sure, back off lock nut and adjust switch up or down as wanted, retighten lock nut. Not sure about the front.

Ok just went out and looked. There is a small phillips head screw holding the switch on, maybe loosen that and rotate switch?

GOT TO BE CAREFUL YOU DON't get them so that they are on all the time when riding. Have someone follow you the first time to be sure.
Understood re: your caveat. "Always on" could result from over adjustment, or even from a little toe weight sitting on the rear. I'll think about whether "hair trigger" is the right analogy -- or whether a Husky hair is a better analogy than a Poodle hair...
 
Thread starter
I figured it out this evening with Ferret's lead. On the underside of the front brake lever, there is a micro switch that is secured by a single screw. Loosen the screw a bit and adjust the angle of the switch to make it cycle exactly where you want it. As delivered, my brake light was not coming on with a light application of the brake. Scary. Now it's perfect. Just a touch turns it on. This is an item worth putting on a periodic checklist.
 
SailorRider_imp said:
I figured it out this evening with Ferret's lead. On the underside of the front brake lever, there is a micro switch that is secured by a single screw. Loosen the screw a bit and adjust the angle of the switch to make it cycle exactly where you want it. As delivered, my brake light was not coming on with a light application of the brake. Scary. Now it's perfect. Just a touch turns it on. This is an item worth putting on a periodic checklist.
I tried adjusting mine and it didn't work. :-/
 
Thread starter
mininsx_imp said:
SailorRider_imp said:
I figured it out this evening with Ferret's lead. On the underside of the front brake lever, there is a micro switch that is secured by a single screw. Loosen the screw a bit and adjust the angle of the switch to make it cycle exactly where you want it. As delivered, my brake light was not coming on with a light application of the brake. Scary. Now it's perfect. Just a touch turns it on. This is an item worth putting on a periodic checklist.
I tried adjusting mine and it didn't work. :-/
I tried adjusting mine and it didn't work. :-/
Sorry to hear that. Do you mean the brake light stopped working altogether, or you were unable to adjust the point where the switch activates?
 
SailorRider_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
SailorRider_imp said:
I figured it out this evening with Ferret's lead. On the underside of the front brake lever, there is a micro switch that is secured by a single screw. Loosen the screw a bit and adjust the angle of the switch to make it cycle exactly where you want it. As delivered, my brake light was not coming on with a light application of the brake. Scary. Now it's perfect. Just a touch turns it on. This is an item worth putting on a periodic checklist.
I tried adjusting mine and it didn't work. :-/
I tried adjusting mine and it didn't work. :-/
Sorry to hear that. Do you mean the brake light stopped working altogether, or you were unable to adjust the point where the switch activates?
I tried adjusting mine and it didn't work. :-/
Sorry to hear that. Do you mean the brake light stopped working altogether, or you were unable to adjust the point where the switch activates?
There's no room for adjustment, tighten the screw and it goes right back to where it was before.
 
Thread starter
That happened to me at first, and I thought perhaps the switch was pinned and thus not adjustable. Then I tried holding the switch in the adjusted location very firmly with my left hand while tightening the screw with my right hand. I was able to secure the switch a couple of millimeters further away from the brake lever, causing the switch to activate with just a fingertip touch to the lever. I am keeping an eye on it to make sure it does not move. About 100 miles on it, so far so good.
 
hmm curious about this too, is there a picture as to wich screw and micro screw you are refering too?

91b8e5956d983ce7b942afa155382d0f.jpg
 
Riko_imp said:
hmm curious about this too, is there a picture as to wich screw and micro screw you are refering too?

91b8e5956d983ce7b942afa155382d0f.jpg
I fixed mine one day because I use the front brake much more often and the brake light wouldn't come on unless I applied enough pressure to lock the front tire. I gently filed off some of that raised plastic boss on one side, then re-installed the switch, moving it so that the light would come on. It works fine now and will come on with very little pressure.
 
Thread starter
Riko_imp said:
hmm curious about this too, is there a picture as to wich screw and micro screw you are refering too?

91b8e5956d983ce7b942afa155382d0f.jpg
I don't have a picture for what I did but it should take less than 1,000 words to explain. There is a single mounting screw that uses the large hole you can see on the picture. I loosened it a little, allowing me to rotate the switch body enough towards the lever to make a fingertip touch on the brakes actuate the switch. Then I tightened it down, and it has stayed put for about 500 miles since I did that. I didn't need to file any plastic as MininSX reported he had to do-- I just rotated the switch body a little. Maybe there is something on the switch blocking adequate rotation on some installations. I can't imagine that a very slight filing of the plastic could damage anything, and might give you the range of motion you need to get the result.

At the NYC Motorcycle show, there was a lecture about maintenance checklists, and the speaker said brake light adjustment is one of the most overlooked safety checks that should be done regularly. As Ferret said, make sure it's not "always on" but also make sure it comes on before the bike actually starts to slow down.
 
According to the service manual, the front brake light switch actuator is not adjustable. The rear is. If the front is not working correctly, it should be a warranty repair.
 
SailorRider_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
hmm curious about this too, is there a picture as to wich screw and micro screw you are refering too?

91b8e5956d983ce7b942afa155382d0f.jpg
I don't have a picture for what I did but it should take less than 1,000 words to explain. There is a single mounting screw that uses the large hole you can see on the picture. I loosened it a little, allowing me to rotate the switch body enough towards the lever to make a fingertip touch on the brakes actuate the switch. Then I tightened it down, and it has stayed put for about 500 miles since I did that. I didn't need to file any plastic as MininSX reported he had to do-- I just rotated the switch body a little. Maybe there is something on the switch blocking adequate rotation on some installations. I can't imagine that a very slight filing of the plastic could damage anything, and might give you the range of motion you need to get the result.

At the NYC Motorcycle show, there was a lecture about maintenance checklists, and the speaker said brake light adjustment is one of the most overlooked safety checks that should be done regularly. As Ferret said, make sure it's not "always on" but also make sure it comes on before the bike actually starts to slow down.
I don't have a picture for what I did but it should take less than 1,000 words to explain. There is a single mounting screw that uses the large hole you can see on the picture. I loosened it a little, allowing me to rotate the switch body enough towards the lever to make a fingertip touch on the brakes actuate the switch. Then I tightened it down, and it has stayed put for about 500 miles since I did that. I didn't need to file any plastic as MininSX reported he had to do-- I just rotated the switch body a little. Maybe there is something on the switch blocking adequate rotation on some installations. I can't imagine that a very slight filing of the plastic could damage anything, and might give you the range of motion you need to get the result.

At the NYC Motorcycle show, there was a lecture about maintenance checklists, and the speaker said brake light adjustment is one of the most overlooked safety checks that should be done regularly. As Ferret said, make sure it's not "always on" but also make sure it comes on before the bike actually starts to slow down.
That's exactly what I figured, it's out of warranty and what's it gonna hurt to try it. It took very little filing to give the switch just enough room to adjust it so that it works.
 
Back
Top