Bought a 2013 CB1100 A

Whit_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Picked up my CB1100-A on Friday. I had a 1975 Honda 750 back in 1979 and it was a great bike. My first ride on the CB1100 was a big surprise with its power. I have been riding a 1973 Suzuki GT750 for the past 10 years but I sold it last week to make room for the Honda. The GT750 was fast but nothing could have prepared me for how fast the CB1100 is. From what I have been reading I expected a slower bike. Looking forward to a lot of fun miles.

2013 CB1100 A.jpg
 
Whit_imp said:
Picked up my CB1100-A on Friday. I had a 1975 Honda 750 back in 1979 and it was a great bike. My first ride on the CB1100 was a big surprise with its power. I have been riding a 1973 Suzuki GT750 for the past 10 years but I sold it last week to make room for the Honda. The GT750 was fast but nothing could have prepared me for how fast the CB1100 is. From what I have been reading I expected a slower bike. Looking forward to a lot of fun miles.

2013 CB1100 A.jpg
I have some homework for you. Go back to the dealer and test ride a Yamaha MT09. Not saying it is at all a better bike, don't get me wrong, but if the power of the CB1100 shocks you the Yamaha will blow your brain out your ears. Modern bikes are a whole universe beyond bikes from the 1970s. They can't even be compared. The CB1100 does have some lovely juicy power but compared to most things it is also in fact a slow bike. Both of these things are true.

Despite being slow however it is also far more than the sum of its parts and has so much more to offer besides speed.
 
Thread starter
Its plenty fast for me. I am 68 years old and looking to ride this around town. I doubt it will see much highway riding. The brakes and suspension are a huge upgrade. The weight of the CB1100 is equivalent to the GT750 which was 550lbs. Here is a picture of the GT750.
20240504_110120.jpg
 
Yea they're almost identical that late 70s to early 80s era of large displacement i-4 bikes. That's whats so great about them. It's a love letter to that era with everything taken up to it's final form.
 
Whit, don't misunderstand when someone says it is not a fast bike. It will cruise with free-way traffic all day long, if you can stay in the saddle. I would ride mine along the freeway at 75+ mph with no problem. At that speed, there is plenty of reserve to pass, if you need it. It is a strong bike. It won't do wheelies like my 1981 Suzuki GS 1100 would, but it is a good, strong bike. Enjoy.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Whit, don't misunderstand when someone says it is not a fast bike. It will cruise with free-way traffic all day long, if you can stay in the saddle. I would ride mine along the freeway at 75+ mph with no problem. At that speed, there is plenty of reserve to pass, if you need it. It is a strong bike. It won't do wheelies like my 1981 Suzuki GS 1100 would, but it is a good, strong bike. Enjoy.
Yea this is what I mean. I'm never talking about top speed when I say something's is fast or slow, I'm talking about acceleration, since that's all that really matters in the real world.
 
Whit_imp said:
Its plenty fast for me. I am 68 years old and looking to ride this around town. I doubt it will see much highway riding. The brakes and suspension are a huge upgrade. The weight of the CB1100 is equivalent to the GT750 which was 550lbs. Here is a picture of the GT750.
20240504_110120.jpg
I hear that. I'm 74. The Honda CB1100 is plenty fast enough for me. I too use it as a town bike, and ride my Yamaha V-Star 1300 on longer runs. I bought it because my better half was making noises about wanting to ride 2-up, but so far that hasn't happened yet. This is the second bike I've acquired so she could ride with me. The first was a Kawi Vulcan 1500 and she never got on it. I keep hoping, tho.
 
Whit, I'm considering a 2013 CB1100 with just 2K on the clock.

Do you have any suggestions for things I should carefully look for to convince me to 1) buy it, or 2) run the other direction?

I welcome input for any reader. Thanks.
 
triospec_imp said:
Whit, I'm considering a 2013 CB1100 with just 2K on the clock.

Do you have any suggestions for things I should carefully look for to convince me to 1) buy it, or 2) run the other direction?

I welcome input for any reader. Thanks.
Hi triospec and welcome!

Wow, a '13 with just 2000 miles? Sounds like it was someone's museum piece (as was mine when I bought it.) If it's been stored indoors, and there's no apparent corrosion and it's cosmetically clean, then you'd be looking at the basics of a bike that's 11 years old with minimal mileage.

If the tires are original, they'd need to be replaced asap. Plenty of resources here for choices, but with 18" wheels, the world isn't exactly your oyster. Still enough options.

If the fluids haven't been changed, or the answer is anything less than "yes they have been recently changed", you're looking at oil, front and rear brake fluid and clutch fluid. All easily done. Check the air filter area for any evidence of something nesting in there. Check all of the rubber things, like brake lines, etc for dry rot.

If the battery is old, that will obviously need to be changed too, but those are easily obtainable.

If the bike has been outside and shows signs of rust and corrosion, that's a different story. Some of the cosmetic parts might be a challenge. Curious as to what part of San Diego the bike is in, just because I spend a lot of time there and am curious.
 
Thread starter
With only 2000 miles it should look almost showroom condition if it has been taken care of. Gone In 60 has reminded me that I need to flush my fluids. Changed the oil a couple of days after I got it but other scheduled maintenance are on my list of things to do soon.
 
Back
Top